General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD apparel is just that, apparel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,415 Likes on 999 Posts

New chinaco motorclothes catalog came. $120 for a $20 shirt.
Catalog in garbage.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:35 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Speaking of things that irritate me, does your local HD dealer sell armored jackets with the armor, or is it separate?

Every armored jacket at my dealer has no armor. You have to buy it separately, $50.

There is no effing way I'm paying $400-$500++ for an armored leather jacket, and then have to cough up another $50 for the armor.
This bugs me too. Every other (non-HD) armored jacket I see comes with armor. It's an add on for every jacket at my local dealership.

Last fall when I was just getting back into riding after a long absence, I bought a textile HD jacket based on the recommendation of a close (rider) friend. It was a closeout model so I got a good price on it. It is pretty comfortable, warm and well vented.

But after doing some post-purchase research (always the best kind...) I'm not sure it's much more protection than any other off the rack non-riding jacket. It's 600 denier, but polyester - seems like all the well reviewed textile jackets are made of cordura or similar, and general advice is run away from polyester at max speed. And I still haven't bought the armor...

Old 09-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shep68
But I think there is real riding gear to be had too. People rave about those $250 rain suits!
I will say I tried a lot of rain gear before finally buying that particular HD brand rain gear and I couldn't be more satisfied. It's truly designed for riding.
I remember I got disgusted after 2 soaking hours of rain, pulling into a dealership to buy it, pouring water out of my boots and noticing a girl following me everywhere with a mop. Now I stay nice and dry.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:44 AM
jaxbusa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think HD does their homework on their gear. Everyone here would sport the HD stuff if they had a gift card or won a free shop-a-thon. Most items are expensive but good. I saw a comment about boots being worn for a year. I can't get any brand boot to last longer than that. I just got a set of summer gloves for fifty dollars, which is a lot, but my last ones held together for a year (I ride everyday of the year and was impressed they held up). I do understand what was said about jackets not being made for riding. Funny thing is, I would venture to say that most of the people who buy their jackets don't ride much and wear them as a regular jacket. I don't buy HD stuff because of the price (someone bought the gloves for me). I have to do more research for get a comparable or better item, but it works for me. Having to purchase the pads for a jacket is just absurd.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,536 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxbusa
..........Everyone here would sport the HD stuff if they had a gift card or won a free shop-a-thon.............

Actually, you're wrong about that. I wouldn't wear most of their stuff if you gave it to me. (I'd sell it and buy what I wanted) I don't like stuff with logos all over it. Also, their jackets are sized S, M, L, XL etc.. rather than 44, 46, 48 and so on. That sizing scheme tells me they're not too serious about their stuff. I've tried a couple of their jackets just for the heck of it and none of them fit me very well. My Schott fits just fine.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Speaking of things that irritate me, does your local HD dealer sell armored jackets with the armor, or is it separate?

Every armored jacket at my dealer has no armor. You have to buy it separately, $50.

Something new they just started doing this year to make an xtra buck no doubt. The jacket I bought just last year came w/ the armor. Was looking at the same series jacket this year and no armor. No price reduction either. That does suck.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I've got a decent H-D Hein Gericke jacket that's over 20 years old. Regarding sizing, it's a 48 reg.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxbusa
I think HD does their homework on their gear. Everyone here would sport the HD stuff if they had a gift card or won a free shop-a-thon. Most items are expensive but good. I saw a comment about boots being worn for a year. I can't get any brand boot to last longer than that. I just got a set of summer gloves for fifty dollars, which is a lot, but my last ones held together for a year (I ride everyday of the year and was impressed they held up). I do understand what was said about jackets not being made for riding. Funny thing is, I would venture to say that most of the people who buy their jackets don't ride much and wear them as a regular jacket. I don't buy HD stuff because of the price (someone bought the gloves for me). I have to do more research for get a comparable or better item, but it works for me. Having to purchase the pads for a jacket is just absurd.
Nope. I'd donate that gift card to someone.

So far on this thread I've seen one useful rain suit, and one useful jacket out of the entire HD line.

Very similar to my experience. It's just not very good stuff, even if it was 100s of bucks cheaper.

As for boots. Many brands last more than a year on the bike. A pair of Redwings will outlive you. No joke.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't wear anything with Harley on it, don't want to look like one of the gay pirate brigade.
If someone gives me a Harley T shirt, I give it away.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 AM
Buzz363
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my wifes sportster from a guy who threw in an FXRG jacket and gloves only worn once. The jacket is pretty nice, comparable to a Joe Rocket but lists for almost twice the price. The gloves are awesome but cost around $150 Can. Which is way more than I'd pay.

That being said they're in the business of marketing their brand and they do that very well.

Quick Reply: HD apparel is just that, apparel