General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It looks like ABS is ubiquitous

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:39 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,027 Likes on 11,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey Shane
There's no way that I would ride on ice without ABS brakes.
There is no way I would ride on ice regardless of the type of brakes.
ABS can't overcome physics or common sense.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

I wouldn't mind having ABS on my bike, but to be honest it's not a problem for me. I like to have the control myself. If I feel the bike sliding I just let off the brake and reapply. It would be good on the front for sure, especially at stop signs where someone spilled diesel fuel and it is raining, or pulling off the road onto a gravel shoulder. It should probably be mandatory from the manufacturers in this day and age. Harley would do well to add it to its beginner bikes like the new 500.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:22 PM
vaxt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Pretty much every model Japanese street bike comes with ABS in 2015, even their entry level bikes like the Ninja 300cc where it is a $100 option. On all other Kawasaki models it is standard equipment. It frustrates me to see Harley again trailing the pack in the adoption of new and better technology across their line, especially since a study was recently published showing ABS equipped bikes were 30% less likely to be involved in a fatal crash. IMO ABS is even more important on a bike than a car since if you lock the front wheel under hard braking or on a slippery surface the bike goes down, no ifs, ands or buts. It will probably result in far fewer people using the "I had to lay it down excuse" though.
The Honda CB750 was the first mass produced bike with disk brakes in 1967. HD was the last manufacturer to adopt them across their lineup. A friends 2003 Sportster has a drum brake in the rear. Similar story with EFI. As a general rule the European manufactures like BMW and Ducati are usually the first adopters of new Technology. Eg. active suspension. The Japanese manufacturers then make it commonplace and affordable. While the Japanese are doing this HD puts it on their high end bikes and then 10 years later lets it trickle down to all their models.

If my theory is correct this pattern will repeat itself with active suspension. Every Japanese bike in ten years will have motion sensors connected to a computer controlling servo motors in the the shocks and HD will be rolling it out on the Electra Glide as an expensive option.

Thank you both! I've been thinking about starting a thread about this for a while now. Most Harleys are form over function, over-priced, and under-teched. This doesn't mean that I don't still love them. It just means that I'm a realist.

ABS has no downside on most bikes. Even if the ABS unit malfunctions, you are left with normal brakes (on most bikes). It sounds like a win-win for me.

My Harley is the only bike that I own without ABS, and that's the main reason that I won't ride it in the rain. That's right perfect-rider, ABS-haters: I might make a mistake and crash. I tour on my 2000 BMW R1100RT (with ABS!)

Old 10-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,075 Posts

A friends 2003 Sportster has a drum brake in the rear.

Bullshit!
No Harley has had a factory installed drum brake since 1979 when the Sportster finally got a rear disc brake.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I had been away from bikes for quite a few years before I bought my first Harley. It didn't take me long to figure out most Harley riders, at least the ones here, they resist change. The MoCo probably realizes this and will take 10-20 years to fully implement changes. Come to think of it, the reason I like Harleys is for the classic bare bones styling.

A guy that works for me criticised me for ordering my Electra Glide with ABS. I told him I want it more for the "panic" stop since I was taking on such a big bike after a long break from not riding. I told him if I lock up a wheel I may go down, I want to minimize this risk. His response, "What the hell do you need a front brake for, it'll just get you into trouble!!!?"

I once heard an interview by Ford's former CEO Alan Mulally who was an engineer for Boeing Jets. They took the elevator trim control off the yoke of one of the big airships since the technology built into the aircraft's computer was proven with many levels of redundancy. The pilots revolted claiming "how can we fly these big airplanes if we can't trim it for level flight?" After countlessly trying to explain the pilots no longer need the control, they added the button back to the yoke. It wasn't connected to anything. But the computer was just as good as or better then the best pilot at trimming out the aircraft. The old pilots didn't know any difference, they were just pressing a dummy button and the computer was still controlling the airplane.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:24 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Oh god.....here we go again.

Next up:

"I can out brake ABS"

"ABS is for people with no riding skills"

"ABS is a direct infringement on my freedom"

"I've been riding 40 years and never locked up a wheel"

"ABS is proven to be dangerous"

"ABS and helmet laws are turning bikers into pussies"

"I pulled my gun on a bike with ABS"

blah, blah, blah....
You got any of that from my post?

Or is that what you hoped I was saying?

Last edited by DaddyKnuck; 10-05-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

The Honda CB750 was the first mass produced bike with disk brakes in 1967. HD was the last manufacturer to adopt them across their lineup. A friends 2003 Sportster has a drum brake in the rear. Similar story with EFI. As a general rule the European manufactures like BMW and Ducati are usually the first adopters of new Technology. Eg. active suspension. The Japanese manufacturers then make it commonplace and affordable. While the Japanese are doing this HD puts it on their high end bikes and then 10 years later lets it trickle down to all their models.

If my theory is correct this pattern will repeat itself with active suspension. Every Japanese bike in ten years will have motion sensors connected to a computer controlling servo motors in the the shocks and HD will be rolling it out on the Electra Glide as an expensive option.
The Honda single cam was introduced as a 1969 model and it had a FRONT disc brake. Didn't ever get a rear disc (except on the F model) until they went to the new engine in 1979 I believe. By that time even the Harley XL's had both front and REAR (which is what I said) discs. Harley had FRONT and REAR disc's on 1973 FL's.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:11 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,389 Posts

All BMW bikes have ABS now. They were the first to introduce it on the (then) new "K" bikes in 1984.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

It frustrates me to see Harley again trailing the pack in the adoption of new and better technology across their line, especially since a study was recently published showing ABS equipped bikes were 30% less likely to be involved in a fatal crash.
whats the problem? abs is available on most every bike hd sells, even sporties. i think the street might be the only one where it isn't an option. you just have a choice if you want to buy it or not.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:04 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
You got any of that from my post?

Or is that what you hoped I was saying?
I wasn't responding to your post - just to the thread itself, seeing as we've recently done the whole "Should ABS be mandatory" thread....

Quick Reply: It looks like ABS is ubiquitous