General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Study finds lane splitting safe.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

The KEY IMO is to do it in a SAFE manor,, what I see on U-tube and from comments in here is a lot of people who isn't doing it in a safe manor.
I've seen a lot of Videos where riders are doing it on the Highways at a very high rate of speed.

Below is from link --- http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ed-4270272.php

"Really, it has been limited anarchy out there," said Sgt. Mark Pope, statewide motorcycle safety coordinator for the CHP. "Nobody has provided any guidance, so we decided it was time to figure that out."

"Basically, what we're most interested in is the speeds," Pope said. "You should lane-split no faster than 10 mph over the speed of traffic around you, and we recommend (motorcyclists) not split at all if the traffic is faster than 30 mph."

Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
Are you for real? What doea being liberal have to do with anything? Only conservative's can do study's that you believe? Haha
I believe this study and it was conducted by some of the most liberal people in the country ("Haha"). Yes I am for real and you don't know what you're talking about. Suggestion, learn to read and comprehend before you go off.

As was already pointed out to you by another poster who actually got it, if UC Berkeley was going to slant the results, they would have come out with the opposite conclusion because they would not be in favor of anything that supports motorcyclists and motorcycling in general. And they certainly wouldn't be endorsing behavior that they consider risky. It is a nanny organization that is bent on protecting everyone from themselves.

Last edited by dribble; 10-23-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
To those who lane split: Do you find that people do **** to try and impede your progress? Like swerving into your path or riding right on the line?
Very rarely. My experience is this.

75 percent try to move out of your way (especially if the traffic is at a complete stop or creeping). Everyone with a Harley or other brand sticker on their vehicle moves. Most every one else does nothing. Once in a great while an asshat tries to block you and you just go around on the opposite side of his vehicle and then the next vehicle lets you back in and you continue to split. It's happened to me less than five times in ten years. Since the CHP went public with their guidelines it seems more people just move out of the way.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave13
Californians would be the ones to know seeing as we are the only ones doing it.
So as a motorcycle rider I expect special road privileges, like being allowed to ride between lanes of cars when traffic is stopped or going to slow for the riders liking. We do this under the guise of "keeping the flow of traffic moving." We expect those who drive cars to be aware that our bike may appear out of nowhere, in a driver’s blind spot, inches from their car door and allow them the space they need to get by. We expect these same drivers, who are known to have a problem paying attention to their driving i.e., texting, talking on the phone, listening to music, eating food etc. etc, to be courteous and leave plenty of space for us. When an accident happens the biker immediately assumes the car driver was texting or talking on the phone. And somehow by passing just one more law all of this could be stopped with a cell phone ban. We have such laws in my state, both against talking and texting. We also have a very tough DUI law, but somehow all these "laws" fail to do one thing. Stop the drivers from doing what the law tells them they are not allowed to do, "by law." Everyday I read and hear about multiple DUI's occurring, and so I have to think these laws must be rather meaningless. If people believe they can break the law with impunity, they will do it. We need to change the mind-set of drivers/riders so they won't want to do these dangerous things while driving.

As for lane splitting or whatever you wish to call it, I really am not concerned with the legality of it because I believe people will do what they think they can get away with, rules/laws be damned. It's rare to see it around here and I hope it stays that way.

As a writer, I find I do my best thinking when riding my motorcycle, and my best writing while driving my cage.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

double post

Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

No surprise there. I split daily.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

To those who lane split: Do you find that people do **** to try and impede your progress? Like swerving into your path or riding right on the line?
Some move over out of the way to give me room, some just hold their line, on rare occasions some narrow minded jerk will try and crowd the line but usually I have spotted that far enough in advance to change lanes as to avoid him.

Lane splitting is common practice here and there is no drama. The only drama concerning lane splitting is on this forum, spun up by self appointed safety monitors and conformists.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Rare but it happens. Often I find that most drivers, once they see you coming give more space. Recently ran into a c*&^ and her husband that tried to run me into a semi, on purpose. She was stuck in traffic and wanted to make certain everyone else was.
Left her about 5 miles back and filtered to the front where the chp had the freeway closed. As soon as it opened we were gone

Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 AM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

A lot of people move out of the way, including guys in big trucks. And both men and women drivers. Very rarely do I have someone actively try to block me.

Originally Posted by Hogpro
No surprise there. I split daily.
Me too. And I'm as far from California as you can get.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Redsauce
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the others that have already said yes, once in a while you will get someone to try and close the lane. It's never been to the point, or even close, to wrecking me. But, for the few that do do this, there are soooo many more that open the lane when they see me coming.

And, I do understand that the ones who can't/don't lane split (and some who do) are on here saying, "that if done in a safe manner". Well, here's the thing: if you are in crawling, bumper to bumper traffic, rarely does a car get a chance to make a "quick" lane change. You will, most likely, see a turn signal way ahead of you. Not only that, but you can see and anticipate car movements. That being said, I have lane split at high speeds, simply because I knew it was safe to. My point is is that safety is subjective to the environment, to what is going on around you and definitely to the rider's experience. All the more reason why people who have never, or are in one of the OTHER 49 states that don't allow it, it is hard to accept your opinion on it.

Quick Reply: Study finds lane splitting safe.