Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   "Weight, In Running Order"? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1006905-weight-in-running-order.html)

From_Behind 10-22-2014 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silvio (Post 13347430)
So, you have a beef with healthy curiosity and knowledge for the sake of knowledge?

Many folks do. Sad, huh?

Trickasabrick 10-23-2014 07:22 AM

Why would you care? Acceleration = Force (HP)/Mass (weight). Nuff said.

sharkey 10-23-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trickasabrick (Post 13347923)
Why would you care? Acceleration = Force (HP)/Mass (weight). Nuff said.

Exactly...and when I dropped unsprung weight on my FXDXT with alloy rims, alloy swingarm and composite brake rotors the effect was dramatic. Wouldn't matter to those less concerned about all around performance but it matter's to me. Went from the FXDXT to an FXDF after test riding a Road Glide and NOT caring for the extra weight of the 'Glide and it's effect on the overall performance of the bike. Did not appeal to me. And before someone raises the "get a crotch rocket" flag, for me HD's are the best bikes to tour North America on. Tried BMW; great machines, dorkey riders for the most part and no one has the recognition and support that HD has across this land.

Mr. Neptune 10-23-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silvio (Post 13347430)
So, you have a beef with healthy curiosity and knowledge for the sake of knowledge?

I have no problem with educating one's self at all. My point is the weight of a vehicle is meaningless information that is provided by manufactures. Instead of filling your head with the weight of your motorcycle why don't you fill it with something useful......like American History...or how Solar panels work......

3 riders walk into a bar, sit down at a bar and all 3 order beers. Bartender sees that these guys all ride motorcycles and to start a friendly conversation throws out there "My Bike weighs 780lbs dry, 815 wet". The 3 guys then all go to their owners manuals and start to compare weight......WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN!!!!!!

As stated before, it is not the question, it is the information provided by the manufactures. Provide us with information that has a purpose.

From_Behind 10-23-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune (Post 13348595)
Instead of filling your head with the weight of your motorcycle why don't you fill it with something useful......like American History...or how Solar panels work......

Why not fill it with both?

airfuel 10-23-2014 11:00 AM

I came from sportbikes and measured weight savings in Grams.

Now with the Harley, gross tonnage, and it doesn't matter.

"How much does that thing weigh?" Don't know, a lot I guess!

Leftcoaster 10-23-2014 11:06 AM

Really? The MOCO is being ambiguous about the weight of their bikes? Who'd a thunk?
Most times these weight differences are referred to as 'dry' and 'wet' weights. Wet means filled with all the required fluids needed to run. Dry means....well....without those required fluids.

IdahoHacker 10-23-2014 11:39 AM

What I find curious is why curiosity makes some folks get their panties in a wad.

I don't find curiosity curious at all. In fact, I'm curious about almost everything.

I think the history of plumbing is absolutely fascinating.

kngpn 10-23-2014 12:26 PM

I want to know because I may have to haul ass and I need to know if I have to make 2 trips.

dandrumheller 10-23-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune (Post 13348595)
I have no problem with educating one's self at all. My point is the weight of a vehicle is meaningless information that is provided by manufactures. Instead of filling your head with the weight of your motorcycle why don't you fill it with something useful......like American History...or how Solar panels work......

Not completely meaningless. GVWR - wet weight = max payload. If [Max payload < (me + wife + luggage)] then I get to tell wife to start ditching some of her crap before we head out on a trip.