General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old friends with bikes who won't ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Old age is not for the weak!

Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,311 Likes on 8,406 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
This is a shallow observation, but around my area it is the 55 plus guys that do most of the riding. I live close enough to the mountains to make them a good day trip and quite often I see the same guys out enjoying the day. In talking with them I have learned that most have been riding 25+ years.

Like I said, it was not a highly technical observation so I guess it has a lot to do with riding being a large part of their lifestyle.
I`m 72, my bike is currently in the shop and won`t be out until next week. I`m going stir crazy not having it to ride.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Maybe it yours or their habits... At 65 now and I have ridden with my son and his friends for the past 4 yrs.. I grew tired of every night all they did what push the buttons on their phones.. ALL night long till bed time.... NO conversation at all.... I though I might as well stayed at Home,,

So this summer,,, That's just what I did... I have more fun with the wife on the back just putting around in the country around here than be 600 miles from home talking to myself....

My case may not be the same as yours...but we all change and go different way as we age.....

just think about what's changed in your//// their lifes... maybe you''ll see if anything~~ what's going on...

Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

That's why we all bought baggers. Comfort is most important for us. I'll be 67 in Feb. There's still a few of us left that really enjoy riding, especially long road trips. All of us are retired & ready to go.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I am 60 Next week. My riding has gone way down. Mostly because of geography, South Carolina/North Carolina has nowhere near the scenic majesty of riding 300+ miles in any direction out of Las Vegas a few years ago when I lived there. I don't enjoy twistys on a Harley, I don't go to places like Deals Gap ad the Dragon to "test my limits" and worry about others testing theirs. I just abhor group riding anywhere for any cause, I rather give them the entry fee and ride to the end destination myself.

I don't find pleasure in riding two lane tree lined roads (waiting for a deer to jump out) with a few hills and valleys for miles and miles and miles. I always have a destination and since retiring seven years ago and quitting apart time job I took to keep busy last year. I only ride in great weather,

The scenery here is no where near as majestic as the west was. I was spoiled for 38 years out there. So I enjoy errand riding and going to Charleston or Wilmington now and then. I am getting close to hanging it up and going full time sports car.MY wife loves that. Hates the bike so I really would rather spend more quality time with her than ride alone.

My wife never really liked riding . Told her I would sell the 05 Vette and Bike to buy a C7... so I sold the 05. But I was not ready to sell the bike and bought an 08 15k mile C6 instead, thus My bike is a garage queen which is fitting because I only started riding Harleys again this past year, (went through three of them) My last was an awful FXRC for a few years in the 90s in Las Vegas I gladly sold into the "Harley bubble". That bike stranded me in the desert twice.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 11-01-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
you're right and it happens.

I'm 40 and have my limits.
40! You're just a child!

Old 11-02-2014, 12:23 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not convinced it's an age thing. I'm 51 and two of my riding buddies are younger than me. One is 39 who he barely rides anymore, and the other is 44 who rides a little more often but pretty much just locally. I'll do my short 60 to 70 mile weekday ride too but I prefer to have someplace to go....to get the hell out of town for a couple of days. Or at the very least do an all day ride. I hate to say it but I know women who are more willing to pack their bike and get out of Dodge.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:35 AM
restab
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only 51 , but the guys I know with bikes think a 2 hour ride is long , and they are all younger than me . I just take the trips 2 up with my wife and see what we want .

Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 AM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Friends

Wow ! After reading a few of these posts I consider myself to live in a perfect world , I'm going on 59 ,retired, and wife is 60, since 08 we've rode over 100,000 miles. We have a group of 6-8 couples we ride with average the same age and we are half way to our 50 states and planning to finish in the next year or two. We do many over night rides that are over 600 miles, our average Sunday ride is easy over 400 most of the time. Our average year is 15,000 and rising as time becomes more available, not even close to slowing down in fact doing Alaska and Sturgis next year and more ! As Jim Morrison has said " I wanta get my kicks before the whole **** house goes up in flames" ! Best wishes to safe and fun travels to all !

Attached Thumbnails Old friends with bikes who won't ride-tablet-pics-471.jpg   Old friends with bikes who won't ride-tablet-pics-556.jpg   Old friends with bikes who won't ride-tablet-pics-535.jpg   Old friends with bikes who won't ride-tablet-pics-206.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 377 Posts

Seems like everyone either died,moved,or are in bad health. I tend to ride alone most of the time. I get depressed that the old days seem to be over. But i gotta get out ,even if it's only a few hrs. It's windy and cold, but I'm headed out in about an hour,the first cold ride of the season, all of a sudden i don't feel depressed at all...........

Quick Reply: Old friends with bikes who won't ride