General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler and dipstick Oil levels

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 PM
GNrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting topic. If the cooler is thermostatically controlled, it wouldn't open up for circulation until the oil reaches the set temperature. Once open, the cooler would fill and hold oil. If a you did not monitor your level you could be riding with very low oil.
On a vertical cooler mounted above the sump, without an anti-drainback valve in the system, you could check your oil and be fine but actually have low oil once the engine is running and refilling the cooler. The premium filters have this. Good question.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 PM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

The oil cooler will fill right away, although relatively slowly. Every thermostat that I know of works at roughly 95/5, percentage wise, and I've researched quite a few of them. The bi-metal can't ever be truly fully open or fully closed. It just doesn't work like that. When cold, 95% of the oil bypasses the heat exchanger with 5% still going to it. At "full open" the percentages are reversed. 95% of the oil is directed to the heat exchanger, with 5% bypassing it. Again, these percentages are approximate, but close enough for practical purposes.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
GNrider
Tourer

Good info thanks.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer
Default 2011 Electra Glide drips oil after I change oil

I don't know maybe it's just me but every time I change oil and filter on my Electra Glide I always end up with the bike dripping oil right under the filter area. The oil seems like it runs down on the wires and oil cooler and about the time it quits dripping its time for another oil change and it starts all over again. I even tried stuffing rags under the filter but I still end up with oil running down in that area anybody know of a cleaner way to avoid all the mess?

Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

Its the HD oil cooler for softail. It mounted vertically midline right behind the front fender. I got 2 qt. oil today and will see if I can get it filled to appropriate level.

Last edited by Knuckles73; 11-12-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: damn spellcheck
Old 11-12-2014, 03:35 PM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bigbob88
I don't know maybe it's just me but every time I change oil and filter on my Electra Glide I always end up with the bike dripping oil right under the filter area. The oil seems like it runs down on the wires and oil cooler and about the time it quits dripping its time for another oil change and it starts all over again. I even tried stuffing rags under the filter but I still end up with oil running down in that area anybody know of a cleaner way to avoid all the mess?
Bob, I've sent you a PM. I hope that's okay.

Dan

Old 11-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

I saw a funnel once that was cut to go under the filter in the void and ran long enough to place a catch pan under it.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:58 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Oil Funnel

There are about as many ways to get the oil out of the filter as there are people on this forum.
I buy cheap place mats and cut them into 3 sections vertically. That way they are long enough to go from under the filter to a small oil bucket and not so long as to be in the way. I then take a small metal punch and punch 2 holes in the end of the filter...first one at 12 o'clock and another at 6. If I let it drain all night, usually the filter won't have any left in it by morning, so no mess to clean up. If I'm trying to hurry it up, I blow compressed air in the top hole to evacuate the filter.
I hate leaving oil on the front motor mount or using brakleen to get it off...neither of which can be good for the rubber in the mount.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Bigbob88
Tourer

Thanks for your replies to my oil drip problem--I accidently put this new post in the wrong place. I didn't mean to high jack this oil cooler and dipstick oil levels post. SORRY

Old 11-13-2014, 12:09 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuckles73
This one is probably on me.... I just passed 5K since doing the oil cooler back in late June. Instead of checking oil levels after picking it up from shop, I just assumed (I know what that does) that the tech refilled it correctly. I'm finding zero evidence of a leak anywhere. I really think it never got refilled to proper level.

I know how to check oil levels. I just wondered if any significant amount stayed in the cooler or extra lines that would cause lower reading on dipstick. Tomorrow its off to get enough oil to do a change anyways so at least I'll know its right this time.
There is so much wrong in this post I'm just shaking my head.

1) You trusted the tech. First mistake.
2) You don't know how to check oil levels, proven by your word "assumed." When you assume, you make an "***" out of "u" and "me." By your post we can "assume" you went 5000 miles, over a period of time of 5 months, not only between oil changes, but in checking your oil level?