General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working for HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
To the OP, after reading your posts I am making three observations:
1. You are female;
2. You have never ridden a Harley in your lifetime; and
3. You dont know anything about Harley Davidson other than they make motorcycles.
I dont have a clue how you got this internship at a dealership, maybe a relative? Most dealerships hardly have any ideas about marketing. Maybe the mega-dealers that own a chain like Rossmeyers in Florida. Any real paying position would be with corporate and they get a never ending stream of applications for employment. If you seriously want a career with Harley then you better spend somd time learning about who they are in business and the world economy. Not trying to be mean here, just passing some reality your way.
By the way, OU has one of the most beautiful campus in the midwest.

Wow, you are a complete and utter *******. I guess the horrid looks of that bike in your sig is getting to you.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by scrambler900
wow, you are a complete and utter *******. I guess the horrid looks of that bike in your sig is getting to you.
roflmao!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM
MrsBarlow
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. You are female;
The current Media Relations Manager for the MoCo is female. (We met her at IMS) So, while you think it's an issue, clearly it isn't.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM
dj skuzzy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. You are female;
2. You have never ridden a Harley in your lifetime; and
3. You dont know anything about Harley Davidson other than they make motorcycles.
I dont have a clue how you got this internship at a dealership, maybe a relative? Most dealerships hardly have any ideas about marketing. Maybe the mega-dealers that own a chain like Rossmeyers in Florida. Any real paying position would be with corporate and they get a never ending stream of applications for employment. If you seriously want a career with Harley then you better spend somd time learning about who they are in business and the world economy. Not trying to be mean here, just passing some reality your way.
By the way, OU has one of the most beautiful campus in the midwest.
1. I'm a male
2. I have rode a Harley for 4 years
3. And no, I don't know about the business side of Harley.

Since I ride a Harley, I guess I should know their business plans like the back of my hand.

I got this internship by going in and talking to them. And if marketing was not a part of the job, why do they have a marketing director and wanting marketing interns?

And if you go look on indeed, Harley in Milwaukee is posting daily to hire marketing and advertising. You have to get experience somehow, I'm not going to be fully knowledgeable fresh out of college, no need to be a dick.

And OU is pretty, thanks.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:33 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 11-24-2014, 02:35 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

To get an idea on the type of jobs avaliable and locations you can always look here.

http://jobs.harley-davidson.com/?utm...bmLocale=en_US

Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 AM
dj skuzzy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
To get an idea on the type of jobs avaliable and locations you can always look here.

http://jobs.harley-davidson.com/?utm...bmLocale=en_US
Thanks man!

Old 11-25-2014, 04:27 PM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here is some more info to browse through. There aren't a lot of glowing reviews.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Wo...E314.11,26.htm

I took a look at an engineering job. The recruiting process was weird, and in the end I wasn't even sure what job I was being interviewed for. I reached the conclusion that it's best to keep pleasure and career separate.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:37 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I have spent my career working for Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), albeit on the automotive side of the market. Similar to your planned Internship, I started out working for Dealers as well as Independent Businesses. So, anyhow a few thoughts FWIW:

1.) Getting an internship at a Dealer isn't such a bad idea. As you point out you have to start somewhere, and in the absence of the following it might take you places that you can't plan for, or may not even suspect in the present time. However, that said, I would strongly suggest that you contact Harley-Davidson's Human Resources Department directly and/or better still through your College Placement Office. Harley-Davidson almost certainly has summer intern programs (summer is typically a name more than a season with these sorts of things, internships generally they run on a year round cycle) and that would be an even better (a lot better) option. That said, your GPA probably needs to be in the neighborhood of a 4.0 as there are usually a lot of candidates for these opportunities . . . . also known within a company (informally) as extended interviews.

2.) Are you planning on getting your MBA? I am fairly certain that for an entry level Sales and Marketing position (or similar) with Harley-Davidson you will probably need an MBA. Maybe not, but . . . .

3.) If you are at the Dealer you will want to learn how a Dealership works, or at least how the one you are at operates: The interplay between the Sales Department, the Parts Department and the Service Department and then how these departments interact with their target markets (or who they think their market is, which can sometimes be an entire course unto itself) and even more importantly the various OEM/Harley-Davidson representatives that call on the Dealer. If you can "shadow" the Harley-Davidson representative even better, and if you can get this person to let you shadow them in other dealerships even better still (although not real likely).

4.) Make contact with, have lunch with, make friends with the Harley-Davidson Sales/Service/Parts representatives that call on the Dealer. Having someone inside the company as an ally can be critical when trying to get noticed, and distinguished from the large number of folks who apply for any given job opening. If you can get to the person who is hiring for a position in parallel with your application through the H.R. Department it improves your chances immensely.

5.) Keep at it. It may take several years and many applications, but persistence often pays off more often than many suspect.

6.) Always remember that Harley-Davidson in in the business of making money. Harley-Davidson does this in the Motorcycle industry. There are three main things that Harley-Davidson is interested in, and they are no different than for any other major manufacturer: 1.) Money, 2, More Money and 3.) Lots more Money. Your interest, however shallow or broad, in motorcycles, is very (as in extremely) low on the list of things Harley-Davidson will be interested in or impressed with. On this forum . . . much different . . . . but you're not going to get hired here for a position with Harley-Davidson.

7.) Good luck!

Last edited by Bluehighways; 11-26-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:11 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The dealerships around here change marketing staff regularly. And the pay,,, sometimes I wonder how people actually live on it. FWIW.

Quick Reply: Working for HD