General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How HD wins the marketing war.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
William C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-12-2015, 01:06 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

That's a pretty awesome thing for them to do!!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The lines for the Livewire and the Fatboy that was set up to get the feel of the clutch and throttle were about 20 people around 2 PM on Saturday. A couple of the other brands had a young lady who take your picture and e-mail it while you sat on their stationary motorcycles. Ducati did have some nice looking eye candy helping to show their motorcycles.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by fj1200
Ducati did have some nice looking eye candy helping to show their motorcycles.
.....and your pictures of the candy will be posted when???????

Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 PM
7of9
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, a big reason I finally went with a HD was the difference in how I was treated when I walked in their store/shop versus the local metric dealers. We've always ridden Hondas or Yamahas previously, but when we'd walk into the store/shop there, it was pretty much as if we were a nuisance. The stores where we live were set up more to sell 4 wheel ATV's and snowmachines than bikes and the service departments really just didn't seem to care much.

Contrast that with the first time we went in a HD dealership. We flat out told the salesperson we weren't going to buy a bike. He still took us around and explained all the models and invited us to their events. Each time we went back, we got a warm welcome and didn't feel like we were imposing on them. I even went to one of their women's garage days and liked that the parts and service guys didn't talk down to us.

When it came time to buy a new bike, it was a pretty easy choice even with the extra cost. My guy is also now considering a Harley for his next bike, for similar reasons, after riding metrics for over 20 years.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 638 Posts

Harley is a masterful market-machine. Rarely has the latest technology, but HD has the aura of an iconic American company and they know how to sell that "experience". Good for them!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:35 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

The longer I ride a motorcycle, the more I understand that there is more than just Harley Davidson when it comes to two wheels.

For me, it is not about marketing, what other people think or if a bike has a soul or not. It comes down to my mood when I decide to throw a leg over a bike. Do I want to be aggressive around the corners or do I just want a lazy ride.

If the only thing in your toolbox is a hammer, then everything is a nail.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 PM
aleccrowley
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Win again.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:39 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree they do well with marketing and branding. Look how many buy their stuff and wear it or stick on windows. I've always been fascinating how people will pay to advertise for a company. While, I don't have a lot of harley clothes and gear I do have some and proudly support the brand.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:47 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Harley always makes you feel welcome when you walk into their stores that's for sure. I've never bought a harley from a dealer but I have used a dealer for r2r financing and they treat me like I bought the newest CVO bike every time I walk in there. I only buy harley branded shirts for their marketing machine though with most of my parts coming from my local indie's or from J&P but I've hit 1/2 the harley dealers in tx and when you show up and just buy a shirt with that stores name on it from the clearance rack (I've only paid full price for like 2 shirts ever) and they treat you like you are the only customer in the world, why wouldn't they win the marketing war?

The only place I've ever been treated that way was at a Honda dealership in JAcksonville NC (Lejuene Honda) where I bought 3 crotch rockets over the course of several years as well as a new MX bike every year. They treated me well because I was a steady customer. Harley treats me like a king if I show up with my mom at a dealer I've never been to just to grab a t shirt.