General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's gone from a 1/2 helmet to a modular?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would definitely give the Shark Evoline 3 a try on. As mentioned above, I spent the last few months trolling all the bike gear shops in town trying on various helmets and settled with the Shark.
Check out the review on Revzilla on Youtube

Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Glad I came across this thread. I have been researching modulars since late fall and have some on my list that are mentioned here. Scorpion EXO-900X, Nolan N104, AGV Numo Emo, Bell Revolver and two HJC modulars. After watching all the Revzilla reviews on these models I've decided i'll probably need to take a ride down there and try them on to make sure. The only problem is I know they don't have them all on the floor.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to look at a modular also, my other helmets have been black I think a white one this time for summer comfort.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

I went with the Shark Evo modular because it is designed for riding in the open position when wanted--most modular helmets catch too much air in the open position, but not the Shark...but don't take my word for it. Watch Anthony from Revzilla explain more...

Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from a 3/4 to 1/2 back to a full face Aria Signet Q. I was hesitant to buy the full face but after riding with it, it has became my favorite helmet for longer rides. I say for longer rides simply because I wear glasses and they are a pain in the butt to get on with the full-face but once in place it is the most comfortable helmet I have worn. If I'm just doing short commutes like to work and back i wear my 1/2 helmet. I tried a modular but was unable to find one that fit my head as well as the Signet Q.

Last edited by teedubya; 02-03-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with a lazer carbon monaco. It's pretty quiet with everything buttoned up. I had to remove small pads by ear to hear my tunes well and I am upgraded. Sounds better now but it still amazes me how much better I can hear it with face up.

To sum up your q's

-no weight considerations with carbon monaco being it's very light.
-it's much quieter than half helmet
-well ventilated
-peripheral is not exactly like half helmet but it's not compromised too much
-love that I don't have to carry my sunglasses anymore with it since it basically is a transition shield and it works great.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,254 Likes on 1,260 Posts

I've gone from a HJC Symax I, to HJC half helmets, to Shoei Multitec, to Nolan N43 (worn mostly as a half helmet) and now a Schuberth C3.

I've learned that fit is crucial. I love the fit of my Nolan N43 and was thinking of the Nolan N104. My buddy got the 104 and the fit is different and doesn't fit as well. Having said that the field of view on the helmet is great. It's also noticeable heavy.

I don't listen to music while riding (although I may get something to listen through earbuds) so don't know how well a modular would work for listening. It does block more sound than a half helmet for sure though.

As others have mentioned regarding weight, when you are riding, the heavier weight of the modular is offset by the better aerodymamics. Some of the better modulars (Shoei Nanotech and Schuberth C3) are pretty light for what they are. I believe (but am not sure) that HJC may have a carbon fiber verion of their modular.

I love wearing a half helmet for the feeling of being in the wind, but, especially after having an accident where if I wasn't wearing a modular I would have shattered my jaw, I do feel a modular offers great flexibility and greater safety than a half helmet.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:08 PM
xlr8it
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the Nolan N44, by far the best helmet I have ever used, light , quiet, great vision, it's like having 3 helmets in one. (Had the Evoline but found it way too heavy)

Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM
wxmcpo
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts

I was really leaning towards the Nolan 104 myself, but after finding out that it's difficult to mount an after market comms system (Like the Sena) on the side of it I have decided it isn't for me. I love the feel of the Nolan and, as already mentioned, the field of view on the Nolan 104 is the best I have seen on the market. Need to do some more reviews, but the Schuberth 103 Pro is a leading contender in the expensive category while the Bell Revolver EVO, and a couple HJC modulars are contenders in the more inexpensive category.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I took a ride to Revzilla yesterday to see some of the modulars in person. That lead me to rule out the Shark and the Nolan N104 mainly due to their size. The HJC RHPA was nice but felt a little cheap. They did not have The AGV Numo and Lazer Monaco on display so I could not try them. I did try the Shoei Netoec and it fit and felt great but I am not convinced it is that much better than the others for the price difference.

I may just order the Lazer Monaco from them and deal with a swap if it doesn't fit right.

Quick Reply: Who's gone from a 1/2 helmet to a modular?