General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Softail Turning over but not firing - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
When you lifted the tank, did you loosen any wire harness connections under the tank strap area?
That happened to a buddy of mine, and he called me with the same problem. When I removed the tank strap, the whole thing was unplugged. Soon as I plugged it back in, it fired immediately. He hadn't noticed that he had unplugged it when he had it apart.
I'm leaning towards this being the problem.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I'm leaning towards this being the problem.
I'm thinking this might be the case as well. All was good before I removed things so I'm thinking I need to start back tracking. I was so happy to get it back together

I'm sure I'll start diving into it tomorrow morning. Everything always takes longer than I think it will and with an open weekend I be able to take this back to front.

I'll report back and if there is something disconnected I'll get a pic and post for any future troubles like this found by others.

- Also thanks fo rthe 'No Spark' page, I'll take a look.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Did you check to be sure the push rods are in the correct position?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nytryder
Did you check to be sure the push rods are in the correct position?
This was my first thought. The intake and exhaust rods are different.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is used to measure the intake vacuum to assess the acceleration and adjust the fuel delivery accordingly, and it will advance or retard the ignition timing.
The crank sensor determines the initial timing.

You can test for spark with both plugs removed, connected to the HT leads and held against ground.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...o-spark-4.html
Sorry removed for edition did not say what I meant.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 01-23-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is used to measure the intake vacuum to assess the acceleration and adjust the fuel delivery accordingly, and it will advance or retard the ignition timing.
The crank sensor determines the initial timing.

You can test for spark with both plugs removed, connected to the HT leads and held against ground.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...o-spark-4.html
Yes the map sensor replaced the voes, vacuum operated switch, the voes was a on, off switch where as the map sensor is a sensor that has a 1 to five volt reading sent to the EMS for ignition timing. (Just wanted to show I know something)
Anyway the reason that I posted this is because I have read recently from two different people who I trust that the map sensor in the 04 and up also are used in conjunction with the map sensor, and that the spark plug need to be in for the emc to generate the spark.
This was news to me and when posting here, kind of added a question mark to my remarks and suggested supurrust to ask his dealer for verification on this.
I know the 04 Sportsters rely on the map sensor for part of the timing not only for the advancement but for generation of the spark, and that the bike will run even with a bad CKP by using the MAP sensor (Per a service manager of a Harley dealership,) but not sure how.
(These bikes are getting way to smart.)

Anyway back to the op, it has got to be something simple.
Superust is there anything else on the bike electrical that is not working? Dash lights horn turn etc.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 01-23-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
It might be a long shot but if you have a bad fob battery it won't fire. It seems like too much of a coincidence, however it's easy enough to change it out.
not only will it not fire, it won't even turn over.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate to rain on the parade but, some things are better left for a professional mechanic to handle. I will never understand the anti mechanic Harley crowd.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
I will never understand the anti mechanic Harley crowd.
This is a joke, right?
Long answer, it is the reason we went to the moon, we were curious, love learning new things, and figured out a way to do it and did it.
It is because we want to know why electrons move from one atom to the next on some elements but don't move on others.
It is the reason we created our own country, we did not want to be controlled by someone else dictating our expenses, and we found a way to do it.(God bless America music playing in the background;-)
Short answer, we are men.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 01-24-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually I am not kidding. There are clearly guys who have no business working on their bikes whatsoever. I am not saying that this is one of those cases, but some of the stuff I have read on here is scary to say the least. I am guessing on this deal there is a plug unplugged or partially unplugged and it was an honest mistake. No harm no fowl.

But come on, some of you guys have to agree with me here.

Quick Reply: 2013 Softail Turning over but not firing - Help Please