General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEAVY Rain & Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:23 AM
samac1068
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll ride in the rain and have done so many times and I haven't found any glasses, sun or seeing, that doesn't obscure your vision while riding. Someone has mentioned earlier that rain drops run down both the inside and outside of the glasses, making it difficult to actually see the road.

I was caught in nothing short of a tsunami while riding the Tail of the Dragon a few years back. My crew and I had to pull over a few times to clear our glasses so we could see the trail and make it up to Deal's Gap.

Slowing down and not leaning as much through your turns will help you get through any rain issues. Following the while line (right side) during the rain and at night will help avoid you becoming blinded by oncoming vehicles.

Although I don't think riding in the rain sucks, I have glasses of all colors and I can say NONE of them gives me a view as if it isn't raining during heavy downpours. With the right mental attitude (and proper gear) and a little more patience, riding in the rain isn't a huge deal. Riding in heavy downpours is something we should all avoid since we're are obscured from the cagers who could make our trip really suck.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I wear a half helmet. I looked extensively trying to get a pinlock on a half helmet somehow to no avail.

I know the pinlock is the best best best. but I am not interested in going to a modular or FF helmet to do it. :-(

I never heard of a wiper blade on pair of gloves. <-- It sounds like that would not smear road grime since auto wipers do not. Pretty cool.

Do you have any idea how you can get a pinlock to work on a half helmet? I have an attachment that snaps the visor on but no pinlock is designed for it.

BuzzCap7
I had a look and couldn't find anything made for a half helmet either. I think you'd need to take the visor to somewhere that sells the pinlock inserts and find one through trial and error that fits it - then you'd need to drill a couple of holes for the mounting pins to attach it.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,343 Likes on 10,704 Posts

Originally Posted by samac1068
I'll ride in the rain and have done so many times and I haven't found any glasses, sun or seeing, that doesn't obscure your vision while riding. Someone has mentioned earlier that rain drops run down both the inside and outside of the glasses, making it difficult to actually see the road.

I was caught in nothing short of a tsunami while riding the Tail of the Dragon a few years back. My crew and I had to pull over a few times to clear our glasses so we could see the trail and make it up to Deal's Gap.

Slowing down and not leaning as much through your turns will help you get through any rain issues. Following the while line (right side) during the rain and at night will help avoid you becoming blinded by oncoming vehicles.

Although I don't think riding in the rain sucks, I have glasses of all colors and I can say NONE of them gives me a view as if it isn't raining during heavy downpours. With the right mental attitude (and proper gear) and a little more patience, riding in the rain isn't a huge deal. Riding in heavy downpours is something we should all avoid since we're are obscured from the cagers who could make our trip really suck.
WELL SAID! I Agree 100%. In fact, I am happy when it rains really heavily since a LOT of cagers get the hell off the roads. I zip down the road at an undisclosed speed which is EASY to do since the tires are REALLY GOOD cutting thru the water. REALLY GOOD!

Once at 82mph (shhhh) my rear was skidding on me when I was headed east in New Brunswick. I thought HUH? WTF??? Brought it back up to north of 80mph and again it was sliding side to side. WTF?!?!?!?!

I pulled over to see I was almost BALD. I really screwed up on catching it was that low on tread. And it was late on a Saturday and few ppl were open Sunday.

Cagers can hydroplane at 45 or 55mph or so, we can go faster and no worries.

Originally Posted by adm
I had a look and couldn't find anything made for a half helmet either. I think you'd need to take the visor to somewhere that sells the pinlock inserts and find one through trial and error that fits it - then you'd need to drill a couple of holes for the mounting pins to attach it.
I looked at a load of them and none were made for my helmet. Had no idea u can force one to fit. ?? Are you sure abt that?

That may be a good NEW THREAD question to see if others did eh?

BuzzCap7

Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,267 Likes on 6,243 Posts

It rains a lot and hard down here. The only thing I found is a good full face helmet.

In 1989 I rode a Honda CBE650 Custom through a hurricane. I was 18 years old. I had a full face Fulmer helmet, Nelson Riggs one piece rain suit, and a deer skin gauntlet gloves.

I wore full face helmets since I started riding in 1987 and switched to a half helmet five or six years ago. I wear harley goggles that fold in half that feature transition lenses. Those goggles are now obsolete but can still sometimes be found online. They are great in day or night but suck royally in the rain.

I have yet to find a full face helmet today that is as good as my old Fulmer. Today, I find they restrict peripheral vision too much. My HJC full face has vents but is so hot in the summer, especially if I have the windshield on my bike, that when I take it off my hair is soaking wet with sweat.

A full face is the way to go in the rain in my opinion. It is just a matter of finding one with adequate peripheral vision and good ventilation.

My Fulmer had an anti fog intake channel that would use air to stop the shield from fogging up. By far the best helmet I ever had but they don't make it anymore.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that thumb wiper jig.
My helmet is FF w/ a pin lock shield. I always carry a bandanna and when it rains, I tie it around the palm of my left hand to wipe down the shield inside and out, or whatever needs a wipe with cotton. I also wear some sort of eye glasses too. So, you can flip up the shield and your eyes are still covered.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 PM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I'm commuting or on a trip I wear my 3/4 with tinted shield. I use a quick detail spray with wax in it to clean my bike, helmet and shield. The wax beads water on the shield very well. The harder it rains the better I see. This is my first 3/4 helmet and I was surprised at the ventilation and field of view (for a cheap helmet) and find myself wearing it more and more

Edit : to your original question- ALL sunglasses suck in the rain

Last edited by scott01; 01-28-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 AM
samac1068
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scott01
... This is my first 3/4 helmet and I was surprised at the ventilation and field of view (for a cheap helmet) and find myself wearing it more and more
Until about a year ago, I had multiple half helmets and a FF which I only used for my winter riding. I love the protection and I don't find it overly confining but sometimes it isn't comfortable. I know, a cracked skull isn't comfortable either. I purchased a basic 3/4 helmet with a flip-up visor and I can't believe how comfortable it is. I agree with Scott01. I installed the HD speaker and mic that came with my bike, and find myself using it more and more. I wanted it for riding in the rain, but use it now when I ride in cold weather. That mixed with either my balaclava or a bandana keeps the chill and the rain out.