General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Call It a Stealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Most dealers sell the parts for MSRP. Go to the HD online store and see the price for a part. That is what most dealers will sell it for. Online dealers that sell for 20% off (Kutter, Surdyke, New Castle, etc) aren't selling you their shelf stock, they are ordering from the MoCo and having it drop shipped to you. Their shelf stock costs more because it is taking up space they are paying for. The MoCo sets the prices not the dealership. So, if you have a beef about parts prices, it should be Harley Stealerson not a Stealership. It's the same thing with my John Deere tractor parts. Everything is MSRP.

No one forces anyone to buy anything at a dealership. If you don't like the prices, make the part yourself, sew the garment yourself or fix the bike yourself. There are too many members that have the mindset that if they pay a penny more than they think they should, they got taken at the Stealership.

Others don't want to pay dealership prices. So, they go online and pay $3 for the same part made in Bangladesh and then post here about how the part they bought sucked and the company sucks, yada yada yada.

Some people were born to complain. If you don't like paying the prices, sell the bike and start knitting.

To me, those that use the term sound ignorant. Rant over.
I'm inclined to agree with you, it's just a LOT piecing upgrades together. Lol Now, I shop smart, and if I have to, I'll buy it from there... Hell, motorcycles aren't my only passion, I'm also very much into yoyos. I have over 300, probably worth about 9-11 grand retail, at least.. Do you know the high end side of professional yoyos run upwards $200 a pop? Some even $500 -$600. I'm no stranger to high priced product. We pay it because it's what we want. What we NEED *crazyeyes*

Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 PM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Do y'all want to know what a real ripoff is like? This just happened to me within the last year, so it's no "old-timer" story.

I just bought this house about 18 months ago. The previous owner told me the landscaper was great, and he'd take good care of me. It was time for the annual pruning. Prune the shrubs, cut the decorative grasses off at ground level, rake up the prunings and take it away. I asked the guy how much, and he said they just charge by the hour and he'd let me know. Now, before you think I'm stupid, I would NEVER do anything like a "time & materials" job on a car, or construction work, or anything like that. But, to have the same guy that's been doing the pruning for several years do it? Really, now much could it be? $500? $750?

$2,000. WTF?!?

I asked the guy how in the hell it could be that high. It was exactly what you would expect...two guys, one guy using the trimmer, and the other guy raking.

The landscaper said it was $90 per hour. $45 per hour, PER GUY.

$90 a f**king hour to trim f**king bushes and rake up the f**king twigs.

F**K ME.

Needless to say, I never used him again.

There is no freakin' way that it's out of line for a dealership employing trained technicians to charge $100/hr to work on electronic sequential port fuel injection systems, or O2 sensors linked to an ECM module via a Controller Area Network BUS system,or linked ABS braking systems, or GPS/Stereo systems.

If my previous landscaper was doing the work, it would be $500 a freakin' hour.
You just hit a nerve!!!!! You gotta be kidding me. I AM the landscaper. When I show up. Just to trim a few shrubs, I'm bringing $ 100,000 + worth of equipment with me. If not on the site, it's sitting idle while I trim your pretty shrubs. Oh yeah, here in N.Y. You gotta have workman;s Comp. at upwards of $ 50k per yr. and more. + business insurance on top of that. Shall I go on? Who, mister narcisist /genius / naive/ cheapskate do you think should pay for this? Maybe you should hire a UNION man to do it next time. Ya make me sick!

Old 02-03-2015, 11:45 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by fox chaser
You just hit a nerve!!!!! You gotta be kidding me. I AM the landscaper. When I show up. Just to trim a few shrubs, I'm bringing $ 100,000 + worth of equipment with me....Ya make me sick!
Did you read my post, douchebag?

The two guys had a hedge trimmer and a rake. Do you seriously think a hedge trimmer and a rake is $100,000??

Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 AM
fox chaser
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Did you read my post, douchebag?

The two guys had a hedge trimmer and a rake. Do you seriously think a hedge trimmer and a rake is $100,000??
I won't get into a pi**ing contest with you over this but, yes, I certainly do. Please re-read my ENTIRE post. P.S. Who should pay for my retirement fund? The government maybe? Instead of fighting with me, maybe you should think a little about business economics. Have a nice life.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 AM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Folks like to whine. They love it when they can whine at 50 gigs per second via a MIC tablet/phone about how much money they just voluntarily forked over for a part that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to design, manufacture, package, store, stage, and deliver while costing them two bucks.

Same reason there are so many corporals and so few generals - logistics make the world go 'round, not machismo.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:46 AM
davidearlcox
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fox chaser
You just hit a nerve!!!!! You gotta be kidding me. I AM the landscaper. When I show up. Just to trim a few shrubs, I'm bringing $ 100,000 + worth of equipment with me. If not on the site, it's sitting idle while I trim your pretty shrubs. Oh yeah, here in N.Y. You gotta have workman;s Comp. at upwards of $ 50k per yr. and more. + business insurance on top of that. Shall I go on? Who, mister narcisist /genius / naive/ cheapskate do you think should pay for this? Maybe you should hire a UNION man to do it next time. Ya make me sick!
Way I figure it, the $100,000 in equipment just about covers the cost of the truck and coyote expenses to haul the "landscapers" up from the border so you can supervise your future Democrat "employees" while they do the work at less than minimum wage.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I prefer getting my bike serviced at an HD dealer. They give me detailed estimates, and do the work properly. When I went to an Indy, he would do a shoddy job. I am sure there are great Indys out there, but I'll stick with my dealer.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave's 1stHog
Nope, never crossed my mind......I just got tired of reading post after post where dudes were like "damn Stealership did this" or "Stealership charged me for this" blah blah blah so I used my 1 free HDF rant card and fought back electronic style

Now that I used up my freebie, I am now relegated to sitting back and waiting for a cool oil thread to pop up Smile and have a great night
Don't forget a good gas cap thread.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:54 AM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The downside of hanging around with Harley owners: everything they talk about has a political bent, and it's always hard to starboard. *eyeroll*

Wish y'all would save that bullshit for the appropriate sub-forums. It gets old, and you're not changing anyone's mind. You're just back-slapping.

And yes, I'm a veteran of both the military and riding. Doesn't make my position on political issues any more valuable than anyone else's.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

There's a "**** and Moan" sub form?

Quick Reply: Why Call It a Stealership?