General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Now this is some of the best and responsible advice I've read in a long time.
In my family, the wife and I discuss important financial matters. It isn't a matter of who wears the pants. My wife is very intelligent and contributes to the health and wealth of the marriage. Talk to the wife, Smitty, and make a smart decision. You have the rest of your life to ride.
+1 on this and the posts it references. A successful marriage/household is a partnership not a dictatorship. Do what's best for your family. The bike can wait and will be much more enjoyable to own when everyone is on board. Thank you for your service.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

yep - you need to live with your decision and your wife too, do what you think is right and what you can live with. Our input is worthless, what's priceless is the relationship you and your wife have or could have in the future - you're too young to ask this crowd for a decision that doesn't impact us

Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Sold my Softail for closing costs on our first home with the promise of "honey we will replace it for you". This year 25 later I went out without talking about it and got myself a bike. She isn't happy but I don't care. I keep her and the kids in new cars but its my turn. My youngest kid is 22. Dads turn.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 PM
73oldsman
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bikes come and go, family is forever...

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Dave's 1stHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Johnnyh14
Sold my Softail for closing costs on our first home with the promise of "honey we will replace it for you". This year 25 later I went out without talking about it and got myself a bike. She isn't happy but I don't care. I keep her and the kids in new cars but its my turn. My youngest kid is 22. Dads turn.
Lol that's basically the same thing I did, I went my entire military career putting off purchasing a bike for that "someday honey". One day I realized after the kids were gone and we had everything we needed/wanted, I was going to go and buy the bike I have been staring at for over a year. I went out and bought my Lo and brought it home.....she is kind of warming up to it now hahahaha

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Sold many a bike to keep the family first. I'm going to speak from another angle;

my sons are Marines and there would have been no way for them to afford family and bike, and I would have put a foot in there *** if they would have tried. All things in their time. Pic is my youngest and his youngest - after the Corps.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Riptide1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Johnnyh14
Good for you!!!
I gave up my bikes & riding many years ago because I got married & ended up with 4 kids to raise & support.
I raised them, they have their own lives now so I went out a few months back & bought me another bike.
I didn't & don't feel I need to get anybody's permission to do anything in life, my wife included.
I have spoiled her & the kids all their lives, we have no bills except living expenses so why do I need to ask permission to do something I'm gonna do regardless.
Every person married needs their own space or problems will be inevitable.
Marriage is a joint journey but doesn't mean the two of you will be joined at the hip for the rest of your born lives.
Married or not, everybody need their independence/space.
My wife is a strong lady & I wouldn't have it any other way.
When I pass over to the rainbow bridge I won't have to worry about whether or not she can take care of herself.
I have noticed with people whom are married for decades & feel they can't make a decision without the other's input or approval that their life ends up disastrous once one of them passes away because the other can't function without the other's input or approval.
Why? Because they have no independence & can't make their own decisions.
If it works for ya, good.
No 2 relationships are the same & just because it works for other's doesn't necessarily mean it works for every relationship.
I do my thing, my wife does her thing & we do OUR thing.
We are devoted & faithful to one another so that's all that matters.
I have owned 3 businesses, raise for wonderful kids & been married for 32yr.'s so there must be some truth to what I'm saying.
Each to their own, whatever works for ya.

Last edited by Riptide1; 02-27-2015 at 08:38 PM.