General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long winded old guys post....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"And please don't say you did a good job but everyone else didn't do their job." Of course not... we all share the blame equally.... right? Bullshit!!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

You guys can be done with the basics of moving this country forward but you're never too old to vote. And if you don't vote you're just being a big part of the problem too. And as for the kids, that's the parents apathy and laziness for a large part. It's just too easy to watch the crap tv and buy 'em the X-Box, laptop, smartphone, and leave me alone, I'm too tired to teach you morals, work ethic, self reliance, and the like. Let the internet teach you how to be an asshat instead, just don't let me know about it.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Nothing new here. Here is what Socrates said 2500 years ago. EVERY generation thinks that about the younger generation.
And how is the Greek Empire doing now?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:58 PM
moosehunter22
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with OP somewhat. I'm 28 and I agree my generation is totally F*cked..
I was mostly raised by my grandpa and he was a "if you're getting paid for 8 hours you better give them 8 hours hard work in return"
I've always admired that saying. A lot of my old friends are either still hooked on drugs or working at dead end jobs living off mom and dad. But I also have friends that are doctors and lawyers so that goes both ways I guess. But if you wanna raise the topic of the youth is totally f*uvked then you have to realize who was the parents that raised all these dumb asses? It was your generation that pampered them to the point where they don't want to work for anything. Again I will say that I know lots of people my age that are outstanding workers and great citizens as well. Time will tell

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer2
"And please don't say you did a good job but everyone else didn't do their job." Of course not... we all share the blame equally.... right? Bullshit!!
I see some young one's partying a lot. But when I look around at how the younger generation in my family and the families of all my friends are doing, most of these younger ones are living good lives and being fairly good parents from what I see. My generation also did a lot of partying. I spent part of the summer of 1967 in San Francisco. That was the "Summer of Love" when an awful lot of the one's there were doing all sorts of drugs every day. A few got into trouble with alcohol and drugs, but most settled down and raised good families who are now creating families of their own. I know if I need them, they will be there. So I'm not worried about the younger generation.

And as I've said earlier, Geezer, I hope you have a really, really good time riding a lot in retirement. It is wonderful to be in control of one's time and being able to do what is really right for you to do. I know riding will be just one of those activities. Riding a lot has been one of my main activities in retirement, but I have also gotten into a number of other things I didn't except. I even bought a new Switchback last fall in order to have a more comfortable bike for my long rides.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
I don't think there is a major problem with the younger generation. They seem a lot like we were when we were younger. But for those of you who do think there is a major problem with the younger generation, then you also have to take some responsibility for how they turned out. We raised them. If you believe they didn't turn out good, then we didn't do a good job raising them. And please don't say you did a good job but everyone else didn't do their job.
I don't take any responsibility for the lazy kids out there. I raised a Doctor, a Veteran who has his MBA and a Flight Medic. When all the teachers and most of the parents when worrying about their kids self-esteem, I was making fun of "the important thing is you feel good about yourself."

I told my kids if you want to feel good about yourself, accomplish something.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:19 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with you, this country is beyond repair. The only thing that will level set it is a revolution of some sort. Without getting the current politicians out of office and imposing term limits, nothing will change.

We have never been so divided across so many different aspects. Politics, race, religion, class, etc.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

I spend 7-12 hours a day with our younger generations and have since 1971 in one way or another, military and education.

I can say without a doubt, based on my experience, that most of the younger generations are going to be okay. I work in a tough school and I can attest, 90% of them just want to get their diploma and move on to their post high school life, no matter what it is going to be. We may not get their thought processes or understand the way the world is for them and how it will be as they grow older, but they will manage, just as we did.

I remember when I was younger (way younger) my father and friends lamenting how my generation was ruining the world, Geezer, I am your generation, we haven't and neither will they.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorKG
I spend 7-12 hours a day with our younger generations and have since 1971 in one way or another, military and education.

I can say without a doubt, based on my experience, that most of the younger generations are going to be okay. I work in a tough school and I can attest, 90% of them just want to get their diploma and move on to their post high school life, no matter what it is going to be. We may not get their thought processes or understand the way the world is for them and how it will be as they grow older, but they will manage, just as we did.

I remember when I was younger (way younger) my father and friends lamenting how my generation was ruining the world, Geezer, I am your generation, we haven't and neither will they.
I see it basically the same way you do. That's also my experience of the younger generation. And I thought about something interesting. The crime rate has dropped dramatically in the last 30 years. Since most crimes are committed by younger people, I would have to think a smaller percentage of this generation is involved in crimes then was my generation. The crime rate was much higher when I was young. I have to give a hand to those younger ones for doing this better than my generation in this regard.

So all of you who are of the older generation, most of you did a good job in raising your children. Nice going. That took a lot of work and you did well.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:13 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,503 Likes on 5,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I don't take any responsibility for the lazy kids out there. I raised a Doctor, a Veteran who has his MBA and a Flight Medic. When all the teachers and most of the parents when worrying about their kids self-esteem, I was making fun of "the important thing is you feel good about yourself."

I told my kids if you want to feel good about yourself, accomplish something.
Like you I take exception when I hear the accusation that "we" are responsible for today's youth, some of us did do our jobs, and we did it in a time where it was seen as archaic and backwards.

I was the "demanding parent". I raised my own son essentially on my own after his mom and I became unglued, eventually I partnered up and helped raise 2 girls with a long term partner that to this day consider me the "sane" parent over their natural parents. This partnership also hit the rails 5 + years ago. I'm attracted to women with personalities, unfortunately their personalities sometimes mask erratic and destructive behavior, and it takes time to sort out and blow up.

You have no idea of how hilarious I think it is that I am the "sane" parent.
My girls got cheated, but they love me anyway.

My mantra was always "No consequence, no change in behavior." while the parents of their contemporaries tried to be friends instead of parents.
It took a while but at some point all the kids realized that I wasn't doing this to break their chops, and that if they did their part they could count on the fact that I ALWAYS had their backs.

I became the parent that they and their friends called in the middle of the night when they were in a jam. Even the girls mom credited me with being the Girls "Safe base" where they would check in and re-calibrate as they went through life.

My kids are 27 to 44, the youngest is a nurse working full time going to school full time in NYC, she is determined to run a hospital unit at some point, oldest girl is married and back in school to be a research librarian, my son is part owner of a business support IT enterprise that employs about 20 people, and is looking to expand into a second location in another city.

I have to make no apologies for the kids that I raised, they are solid performers and REALLY good decent human beings.

The bonus for me is that I see my local kids at least weekly, and often just to hang out. Not as much with the youngest girl due to the separation in location, but she too will return home or arrange visits for her sister and I to spend time with her without having to share her with her natural parents.

I don't end up keeping the mom's, but I keep the kids forever.

And I'm fortunate, the kids are terrific.

Quick Reply: Long winded old guys post....