General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD via Tiwan accessories

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 03:30 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD via Tiwan accessories

Many of the so-called "industrialized" nations are in the same boat!!!

The CEO of Porsche announced (at a meeting of European Industrialists about two months ago) that all new models offered by Porsche would have 100% German-made components and that all components would be made by Union employees!

The CEO said that Industry that enjoyed the support of a Nation and a People should realizea responsibility and obligation to conduct business in a fashion that supported the people and the institutions that were supporting them. He said that it was especially true of producers of luxury items, which he considered Porsche Automotive to be, as well as other manufacturers.

Stunning position for such a man to take! Good For Him!!! (Now if they would only get back into racing!!!)

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 04-21-2007, 05:02 PM
WindowMan
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife has cancelled credit cards for them out sourcing it to another country.
She hates nothing more than calling and not able to understand them, she
then ask where she is calling to find out over seas, thats when she cancels it.
If more peeps did stuff like that it would help a little!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 AM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently recieved a newsletter from my union with a list of "union endorsed" vehicles.Among them were several Toyotas and Mitbishi's, and some others as well.Look inside the door jamb of some of the Toyota trucks, there sits the union label.I try to buy American to support the American worker, but then I found out my Dodge was "assembled" mostly in Mexico.I guess I should have bought a Toyota.But that's everything now, my wife had a VW Jetta when I met her, dealership told us it was built in Mexico.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

So the bottom line here is corporate America is selling out on us because they don't want to pay the blue collar worker what he is worth and needs to be paid to survive in this country. Hence the Union Strike at York. I wonder how soon it will be until Harley'sare sold for$30,000+ made in this country. Will they be farmed out to Mexico to keep the prices down.... think about it.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There really isn't anything to think about, it will happen eventually.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimb

I recently recieved a newsletter from my union with a list of "union endorsed" vehicles.Among them were several Toyotas and Mitbishi's, and some others as well.Look inside the door jamb of some of the Toyota trucks, there sits the union label.I try to buy American to support the American worker, but then I found out my Dodge was "assembled" mostly in Mexico.I guess I should have bought a Toyota.But that's everything now, my wife had a VW Jetta when I met her, dealership told us it was built in Mexico.

One thing to remember....

It takes 12 production plants to supply one "assembly" plant.
Maybeitchypussy (Mitsubushi) assembles it's vehicles here, but where are the production plants located?
So, eventhough a company may advertise the heck out of it's so called "assembled in America" vehicle, chances are that most of the revenue is being dispersed back in the Japanese economy.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

ORIGINAL: carsnot4me

I want to know how others feel about openig a genuine HD, Ford,GM,Chrysler,box to get their part or accessory out to find that the sob was made in Taiwan that pisses me off in the HD accessorie book they should state where the parts were made.

Carey
So are you saying that if you knew that the accessory was made in a forign country,you would not buy it?If so,then you wont be buying many more genuine HD parts!
The fact is most companies do outsource their product.
Here's an example.Went to a shoe store yesterday to buy some new work boots.I normally buy Red Wing.I ended up buying Wolverine,also made in USA(at least the style I bought).
Then I inquired about the MC boot that Red Wing makes.The sales man told me that Red Wing is now having that style boot made in (you guessed it)CHINA.
I dont like seeing products outsourced either but sometimes you have no choice like when it comes to HD parts.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Well it should.

ORIGINAL: George C

It doesn't bother me one bit.
It's economics in the 21 century. America is a consumer nation now.
The cost of anything "American" is almost triple of what an imported version would be, and the quality is the same if not better.
Just look at some of the absurd costs of American made custom parts. Not that the producers are not deserving, but their production costs are just unbelieveable here in the States.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:54 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

There are a myriad of problems concerning this. We had Kelloggs take some old production lines out of the main plant here in town and move them all south of the border, I believe in the free trade zone. All the while they promised not to manufacture cereal down there and bring it back north of the border to sell. It didn't take them long to break their promise. GM has moved much south of the border too, as well as to other foreign countries. Has the cost of their products gone down one bit? Levi Strauss moved all their manufacturing facilities across the pond yet their jeans cost as much as any of the high priced denims do. Electrolux, maker of Fridgadaire has moved most of their manufacturing facilities to Mexico as have many more Corps. and yet we continue to reinforce these moves by buying their products. These manufacturers have cut their cost down tremendously yet their product pricing remains as high as ever. We the consumer have not seen any of the results of their cost cutting measures other than lost jobs. Worst part of this is its almost too late. We need to seal our borders, tariff foreign products enough to make them have to compete with our prices fairly, make our immigration requirements the same as places like Mexico, make our tarriffing costs the same on foreign products as those same foreign nations tarriff our products in their countries. There is only ONE foreign product we actually need to import, oil. Screw the rest.

now I'll get down off my soapbox and get out on the scooter.....

Old 04-22-2007, 12:44 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say that over 50% of the part on your HD come from overseas.

Quick Reply: HD via Tiwan accessories