General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Redfish911
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was just like you about 2 years ago. I had a Honda Magna in my 20s and decided to ride again at 55. I knew I did not want a Sporty, but did not want a full blown touring bike either. I went to local Harley and formed a relationship and begin to ride a few models. The two I really like were the Hertage Softail Classic and the Road King. I researched and waited for the right deal. When the right deal came along I purchased a 2008 RKC. I am very happy with the bike and am glad now I did not choose the ST. Not that they are not great bikes but because sooner or later you are going to want the touring model. IMO.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,251 Likes on 6,010 Posts

Welcome to the forum..... i would definintely take the riders course again. Much has been lost in your years away. Plus this is a great way to help get your m/c endorsement. I agree with most here.... look at a used bike to start back with. get something you can re-aquaint yourself with and ride for a year. Then you can decide what you really want. But if you really want a Harley, i would look at Dynas rather than Sportsters. I had a Sporty and absolutely loved it. But at 6ft+ you may be a bit crunched. Whatever you do, take a riders course again!!
good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing you could probably do is go to the dealer and set on a few and see what is comfortable to you and take a test drive. There are two different ways to look at your question and I'll tell you my experience. First "street bike" I bought was a used 2006 Dyna Super Glide. After riding nothing but dirt bikes, I was concerned about the weight difference. Wasn't difficult, just takes getting used to like anything else. Then in 2009 I bought a new Dyna Super Glide Custom. This was about the time the wife started riding with me a little more but I couldn't afford a touring bike at the time. This year I traded in my 09 FXDC for a new Ultra Limited and have yet to ride it. So on one hand, trading bikes to eventually work up to what you want can be costly....especially if they aren't paid for and/or if you do much to it. Chances are, you won't get out of it near what you put into it especially trading it back in to the dealer. Due to trading in the 06 so quickly on the 09, the payment I was making on it would have been in the ballpark of the payment I would have been making on a new touring bike the first time around. On the other hand, I'm beyond glad that I had 8 or 9 years of riding the Dyna line instead of jumping from a dirt bike to a 900 pound touring bike. You said you were just looking at something more in the line of driving around town so a Dyna or Softail would probably suit your needs very well. I have a feeling if you get a sporty, in a couple of years your're gonna say I wish I would have waited or spent a little more and gotten a (fill in the blank). Go check some out and get what you like and have fun

Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, you need to ride a few before you decide. I always wanted a fat boy, then I rented one and lived with it for a few days. It's a great bike, just not the one for me.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 AM
LACOUNTRYHICK
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find a nice used Fatboy for that $12000 price. Nice comfy bike, plus, the Terminator rode it!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 AM
samac1068
Advanced

Glad you're coming back to riding. I am 5' 9" and 145lbs, and I started with a 883 Sportster. Returning to biking and for me learning how to ride, that was the perfect bike. I laid it down once and had to get help lifting it because I didn't know how to properly lift. After getting comfortable with the like (2 months later) I realized that an 883 wasn't enough power for the roads I ride. I tend to hit highways as well as back roads. With the traffic doing 60+ MPH, my bike was screaming at 70 and often had to move to the slowest lane to avoid being run over.

The Sportster series are great bikes, I just suggest that you go with the 1200cc vs the 883. Now as far as picking up the bike, I've now own an Electra Glide Limited and unfortunately had laid her down a couple of times, but I now know how to best lift ,my bike alone. If my small frame can lift a 900lb bike by myself, I know you with a larger frame can handle the Sportster, Dyna, or Touring series bike.

Good luck on finding that bike. Whatever HD you purchase, I bet you'll love it.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM
wilddave
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by samac1068

The Sportster series are great bikes, I just suggest that you go with the 1200cc vs the 883. Now as far as picking up the bike, I've now own an Electra Glide Limited and unfortunately had laid her down a couple of times, but I now know how to best lift ,my bike alone. If my small frame can lift a 900lb bike by myself, I know you with a larger frame can handle the Sportster, Dyna, or Touring series bike.
I forgot to add in my last post, there is a technique to properly lift a heavy bike by yourself.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM
samac1068
Advanced

Originally Posted by wilddave
I forgot to add in my last post, there is a technique to properly lift a heavy bike by yourself.

Picking up a fallen Goldwing - YouTube
HOW TO PICK UP YOUR MOTORCYCLE - FALLEN OR DROPPED BIKE - YouTube
Yep, I watched those videos and that is exactly how I lift my bike, in those seasonal occasions that I may lay it down.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 AM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Davis
6' 1" and 200 lbs? You would look like a cartoon on a 883!

You have not ridden in a long time and it really may not be your "cup of tea" anymore. I would suggest you get yourself a cheap Jap bike and ride it for a few months. If you still feel the thrill and enthusiasm most of us do then get rid of it and join the largest motorcycle family in the world, Harley Davidson!
This.

Make sure you know what you want before dropping a gazillion bucks on a Harley.

GM

Old 03-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Yep... try different bikes and feel them.
You'll know when you get on the right one.

Quick Reply: Advice on bike choice