General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panhead or Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

No personal experience with a pan but from what I know they both leak and follow the same mantra. Ride it, break it, fix it, ride it. At least you don't need a computer to work on them.

The following users liked this post:
FXWG'80 (02-10-2023)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,511 Likes on 4,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
No personal experience with a pan but from what I know they both leak and follow the same mantra. Ride it, break it, fix it, ride it. At least you don't need a computer to work on them.
Probably be saying that about just about any bike coming off the line today in 31-49 years. Just sayin'.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,264 Likes on 1,536 Posts

I actually had more serious problems with my '06 Dyna that had an FI Twinkie in her...than I do with my current Shovel.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:21 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

All of your comments are invaluable and more than welcome. A friend of mine is willing to part with his 73 FLH Electra Glide. Apparently has had some upgrades with the carb and the motor was professionally restored about 7 years ago. Someone had it painted prior to him (school bus yellow) so that would be the first thing to get changed lol. He maintains that he has the buddy seat and tour pak that originally came with it. If I purchased it - I would be the second owner after the rebuild. Several owners prior to my friend getting it!

I am still looking so if anyone hears of one in their part of the country - please send me the particulars if you care to.

Thanks everyone!
Think SPRING
Lobo

Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14
Best of both worlds- '66 to '69 Harley- Pan lower, Shovel upper- pre cone motor.
+1 on this.

I've wrenched on a lot of Harleys in the last 20+ years as a hobbiest, but I cut my teeth on Shovels and Pans. I've built a '58 Pan that was awesome, but found out that the Panhead heads have broken a lot over the years and expensive to find a good set. Finding/knowing a good welder/machinist is very helpful when working on the old iron. Fleabay and other websites also become a closer friend/enemy. The Pan rocker covers are very prone to leaking, and even on my new build taking every precaution I knew how to do, putting new helicoils in all the holes that seemed to be stripped, etc. it didn't take the old girl long to start showing me her fluids.

I've had too many Shovels to count, and to this day my "prized" ride that I consider part of the family is an 88" 1977 Shovel with a rocker clutch, a "police style" frame-mounted shifter connected to a 4-speed ratchet top tranny, and both a kicker and e-start.

The 66-69 years are the most sought after Shovels because they were the first generation Shovelhead years. You can identify these bikes by the slabside lower (no nosecone on those bikes - the flat cover hid the extra gears that drove the generator in front just like the Pan and Knucks). The good thing is that the top end leaked far less than the Pan and the heads were re-worked to flow a little better (not great, but better).

Anyway, sorry for the long diatribe but I'm partial to the old iron and love it when someone comes up to me in an HD Stealership lot and asks "...Is that a Harley???"

Hobo

Old 03-12-2015, 04:48 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 650 Likes on 318 Posts

I've owned them all. I know you cant help it and will buy one (knuck/pan/shovel) eventually, we've all been through it & I know you cant resist, its a sickness and addiction like crack. I have a '73 FLH exploded like a bomb in a million pieces in the shop right now going together. It's the last one, I promise you. After 40 years I've had it. Take my advice and buy a twin cam.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

Don't let all the big bad boogie man AMF stories scare you off an early shovelhead , we've had 30 plus years to find and kill all the little bugs they had and time proven upgrades for any deficiencies to the OEM platform. Take a shovel out a nice day and you get all the the stares and people looking.

Here's a 73 I brought back to life for a guy that had been sitting the better part of 22 years , original paint still . Cannot beat the look or the sound.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a 72 FL that my brother bought me for when I graduated high school ,it was in a basket, and we built it together. We didn't really know what we were doing , but we got it together, and I rode the hell out of that bike, and one day in the early to mid 90s I was out for a spin, and a guy offered me too much money for it (when you had to order a Harley, and wait 6 months to get it) and I sold it. To this day I wish I didn't sell it.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,485 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
No personal experience with a pan but from what I know they both leak and follow the same mantra. Ride it, break it, fix it, ride it.
Sorry bro but that part of your statement is pure bull$hit.

Have 2 Pans and 2 Shovels. Older iron just requires more routine maintenance than newer iron (EVO and Twin-Cam). And if ya don't maintain the newer bikes they break down as well and will quickly fall under the same mantra.

I gave up my 70 FLH (in October of '70) for my 65 Pan because the Shovel had some serious issues (thank you AMF). Still have the Pan and it has taken me as far east as Kentucky. Only problems...broken negative battery strap (coming home from Sturgis in the late 70's) and, (going to Colorado in the late 80's) burned out the generator brushes crossing Nevada on 6 in about 120 degree heat. I do as much work on them as I can and have the tools as well. Neither of these breaks was something I could have prevented.

And yes the early bikes did leak from the primary because they (MoCo) didn't quite have the system down as far as being a 'sealed' outer-to-inner unit. Prior to '65 the primary chain lubrication was designed as a constant loss system...hence Harleys always mark their spot.

To the OP...if you buy a Pan or a Shovel you need to be able to maintain them. Not the machining stuff (unless you have the tools and the skillset), but definitely the day-to-day stuff that is a requisite (unless you are independently wealthy).

As has been stated, parts for Shovels are generally more prevalent than parts for Pans (some exceptions for year/models noted). And keep in mind that prior to 1965, Pans were "kick-only".

If you go looking, take someone with you that has a decent knowledge about them. There are sellers out there who claim they have 'restored' the bike to original condition but truth-be-told it is nothing but bling and Tawain Ted C h i n k parts.

Look at the VIN and the Title. Lotsa funny numbers out there.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-12-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:45 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Ya have to understand that without AMF back then, there probably wouldn't be a Harley-Davidson today.

I bought three new AMF Harley's:
75 Sportster
75 FLH (Electra Glide)
76 FXE (Super Glide)

The FLH had some major engine flaws right out of the factory but with a little patience, and an excellent dealership owner, the bike ran fine.

Back in those days, the bikes had drive chain "oilers" that dropped an occasional drop of oil on the chain to keep in well lubricated, so obviously there would be some oil dripping off of the chain onto the ground.

Another source for "the drips" was the crankcase "breather tube" which would also occasionally drip under the bike. We eventually routed the tube upwards (like a vent stack) and installed a small filter on it.

We (my cousins and I) put a lot of miles on our bikes but having a good set of tools (and a little mechanical know-how) came in handy a few times.

I wouldn't advise anyone to have a Pan or a Shovel for touring (as parts can be hard to find) as most dealerships WILL NOT touch a bike that old, so if you choose to ride an antique, be prepared to search for parts and do your own wrenching.

Like a previous poster stated. "nothing sounds like a Shovelhead".

Quick Reply: Panhead or Shovelhead