General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else losing that 'Spark?'

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:43 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Stretch,

Just because you have a motorcycle doesn't mean you're obligated to ride it. Granted, having a payment does create a false desire to ride because you're paying every month, but don't let that cause you to make a rash decision and sell it.

I propose you let it sit for a while and get some exercise. Walk six days a week for forty five minutes to an hour every day like you're going somewhere. Three days a week do a workout of body weight strength exercises. Change your diet to something a little healthier, little by little.

After 45 days of that, sit down at the computer at least once a week and write an account of a motorcycle memory; a trip, the first time you ever rode, anything.

Take the money you would have spent on tires, maintenance or geegaws purchased to make yourself temporarily happy and put it on the principal of the bike. Sometimes, debt and corresponding feeling of being trapped can make people unhappy. There is no better feeling in the world than to not owe people money, especially for what some consider to be non essential purchases.

If in six months you feel like you still want to sell the bike, go ahead and do it. But, don't do it until you've tried other things first.

This is only an opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it and no more valuable than the next one. Good luck friend.
Now, I'm not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV...but this is solid advice on the excesize and debt front. I believe that there is a freedom in not being debt poor. I have a simple rule though about machines...if you're not using it, get rid if it while you can still get something for it. After all, this is simply a machine and if gone unused it is worth less tomorrow that it was today. Don't allow the financial burden ruin you love for the sport. Taking time off is always an option. Just clear out the cobwebs and get some clairity.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Appreciate all of the replies. I have been working out pretty steady.

That being said, I made it a point last night to make sure I rode after work. Only stop was at 7-11 for coffee, but I logged about 25 miles.

I enjoyed it, although I didn't really have a destination in mind. Bike definitely needs a wash.

Still, it's not the same. Like a part of my life is just gone, that I'm not certain I miss.

Payments don't bother me. The bike is worth more than I owe, and I couldn't replace it for any less. It's a nice bike, and I am probably going to keep it. I just used to be driven to ride, and now, it's different.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

I am 65 and have had a bike since I was 15, Is there times I don't feel like riding -Hell yes--.

I don't know your age, BUT you may be going through you midlife Crisis. Most of us do at some age and time in our life.

I too look at the new bikes every yr, My Son has had two new ones since he and I bought new in 07 and he thinks I need a new one, But I have our bike fixed just the way I want and even with 51K it just keeps running better every yr... only issue I've ever had was the pin hole in the gas line.

IMO-- people don't have to have a new bike in the garage if you're happy with the one you have and its not having issues.

Maybe a change of the way you think about riding. I used to like riding with friends.

Now as I/WE have gotten older, we prefer to take a 2-3hr ride alone, mostly on country roads and a few State Hi-ways just putting around looking at the world.

Only time I get on the Interstates anymore is when I do the yearly trip with the son.

Last edited by oct1949; 04-20-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Observation,

The OP's thread talked about the thrill of buying new bikes. He never said anything about the thrill of riding. If this is the case there is nothing wrong with loving what you have. Perhaps the OP likes the thrill of buying stuff and really get off on the purchase more than what thrill the product provides.

My advice, plan a long trip Sturgis, Grand Canyon, Alaska or some other place and learn to love the ride and the bike that got you there.