General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did you buy your favorite jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I wear a police style nylon and lined jacket. Light, waterproof, nice furry collar, tight knit cuffs. Cost about $70.00
Find a uniform store in your area.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Aubert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from Fox Creek, really quality jacket that is comfortable and durable.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fox Creek

Old 04-30-2015, 09:16 PM
fxbrry
Road Captain
Received 263 Likes on 81 Posts

Tractor Supply

Old 04-30-2015, 10:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Love's Truck Stop in Colorado three years ago. $79 good stitching, heavy duty zippers and very durable.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my new favorite at the dealership. Looked long and hard at Fox Creek but just couldn't pull the trigger online for a jacket that expensive without being able to try it on. Got the Evolution Triple vent and here's why. This is the review I posted on HD's website.

I was looking for a first leather jacket. I have always worn textile as I have found it to be more versatile. However, after much looking it came down between the Evolution, Competition III and the FXRG Leather Jacket.

The Evolution and FXRG both state they are Waterproof, although the FXRG refers to a liner versus the Evolution's leather, so I am unsure about the FXRG leather. The Competition III is not listed as waterproof. That right there was a large strike against the Comp III.

I love the look of the "diamond tuck" leather on the sides of the Comp III, the lack of water resistance was a large strike against it and it started near the back. The FXRG and Comp III are not adjustable, so that again was a strike against both of them. What I mean by adjustable, is the ability to cinch the waist, make the arms looser or tighter etc. The lack of adjust ability coupled with the lack of waterproofing left the Evolution and the FXRG as the last jackets standing.

Fit, the Evolution fit me better than the FXRG at the same size with all the liners in. The FXRG was tight, and severely limited arm movement. I moved up a size in the FXRG and was swimming in the jacket. I was willing to bet the FXRG leather would loosen up and eventually fit correctly. What really sealed the FXRG out of running however, was the jacket liner. While it may be the warmest of the three, it felt as if I had stiff plastic/aluminium foil against my skin. The feeling of something hard against the skin and then thinking about traveling for thousands of miles like that made me send the FXRG packing. The Evolution however, felt great, and had enough room to comfortably fit in another light weight jacket if needed for layering, adjustability for the win.

I have ridden with the Evolution a couple of times now, low of 35 and high of 80. In the lows I was comfortable and the jacket acts as a great wind block, with all the vents closed. I didn't need another jacket and was very impressed. From 70 to 80 degrees I rode on the freeway, leaving the liner in and opening the triple vents. The jacket worked great and kept me from overheating. During city driving however, that is another animal. Sitting at stop lights is very warm even without the liner. Moving at slower city speeds does get the air flowing,but because of stop and go it got very warm, very fast. I think for running around town in warmer temps I will still probably use my mesh jacket.

Additionally, I like the "Branding" on the jacket. I am not a fan of any company putting huge logos on the apparel I am purchasing. I don't mind some branding as long as it goes with the clothing and looks good. In this case not only is the branding subdued, but it actually serves a purpose. It is the reflective areas that have the branding, so at night this should be a plus.

Finally another point in favor of the Evolution is the fact it comes with the CE shoulder and elbow armor. As I have tested, read as crashed, similar armor in the past I am sold on how well it works to absorb the shock of hitting the ground. No broken elbow or shoulder after hitting the road hard several years back.

I honestly think this is the best jacket HD has on their site. I would definitely recommend this jacket to my friends and family and I also would recommend this jacket to anyone looking for a quality made 3.5 to 4 season riding jaket.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

[QUOTE=Thumper09;13960351]I have a conceal and carry permit, but never carry.

Isn't this an oxymoron?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:23 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I have a conceal and carry permit, but never carry.
Sorry double post....still an oxymoron

Old 05-07-2015, 07:26 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Joe Rocket alter ego 2.0 that I got from motorcycle superstore. I love it.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Walter Dyer jacket either at a swap meet or at during Laconia bike week in the late 90's or early 2000's. Either way it was at their tent so I was able to try it on.

I wear a guy's jacket since the leather is thicker than any of the women's jackets they had (I generally find that to be true of any jacket maker). The Sales Guy tried to tell me it was too heavy for a woman. I've worn that jacket thru rain, sleet, hail, general downpours, and Super Cells (in Indiana/Ohio) and never once regretted the heaviness or thickness of the leather!

Quick Reply: Where did you buy your favorite jacket?