General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have learned many times over if I do not like what I am riding it is better to go ahead and get what you like. If you don't the reason you want something different will only get worse in time and you will dislike what you have even more.
I have been there more than once, yes I made some mistakes but I knew it was like you have discovered.
First cut a deal on the bike of your choice, do not mention trade it. If they ask you about it just tell em your not sure if you want to trade and leave it at that.
Once you get a quote of your liking then add the trade in.
I just traded a CVO street glide but for a different reason for a freewheeler trike.
At first they wanted to scam me. I held out telling them I know what the trade in is on this bike so they redid their offer. I got very close to what the trade should have been. I got $25,500 trade on it in the naked form. I took everything off. Now get this they do not have it for sale at the dealership. The service manger is keeping it for him to ride as a personal bike while at work. They knew what they got.
I miss it terribly but I could not ride it any more. Loving the new flrt now.
Just let em know they are not going to scam you.
Some dealers do not care so checking out different HD shops may be needed to get what you want at the price you want it at. Selling out right will get you more but right now sales are down on used and new bikes. It could take a while to get it gone.
I wasn't going to wait, its riding time.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Met a couple at a HOG ride last fall. Gorgeous Softail a few years old, and a brand new SG. They rode the Softail for several years, and then "upgraded". The guy got the new SG, the wife got the Softail. I asked him how he liked the brand new SG. He looked at me and said: "I made a mistake".

I looked at the wife, and she gave me an enormous, ear-to-ear grin.

So there ya go.
I chuckle at this tongue and cheek reference. For some reason, moving to a bagger is considered an upgrade, when all it means is that you changed models. I will agree that HD puts there best tech into the touring models, yet it only enhances the experience for those who prefer baggers. It doesn't make it the best bike for you.