Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Dealer service issue am I out of line here? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1063214-dealer-service-issue-am-i-out-of-line-here.html)

show-n-go 08-06-2015 03:44 PM

The mistake was giving you the key's without payment. As someone else said, the dealer doesn't make these things, they are essentially a small business that caught a mistake the MOCO made. You owe them money for work you requested.. The real problem now will be in the future, you could win this battle over $220 and lose the war by being "that guy" every time you go in. Say you have a trip planned and something needs done but they are booked up, do you think the service manager will bend over backwards to get you to the front of the line.
Warranty work pays the dealer the same as you pay them btw, the MOCO pays them labor and buy's the parts for warranty, the dealer and HD are not one in the same.

hvacgaspiping 08-06-2015 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw (Post 14265484)
Why didn't they catch this on the bike's preparation, you know, the prep and delivery charge that you pay when you buy a new bike? I say they took your money then failed you right out of the starting gate. They should not charge you for any labor on such a trivial matter.

DEFINITELY, :icon_that: !!!!

bgup619 08-06-2015 04:24 PM

The matter has been resolved. The service manager called me today and apologized for the delay, he had been out of town. We chatted for a couple of minutes going over what happened and why. This was an issue from the factory and something that they just usually "assume" is ok and isnt on their prep checklist. We agreed that we were both happy the issue was found when it was and was an easy fix. He then explained that he and the GM talked it over and they would be picking up the tab on the labor for the original work order for my inconvenience..

-Best part of this was the tone and genuine concern for my business from him. I thanked him and explained that the reason I chose their dealership was based on my Dad's experience he had last year when visiting. He had an extended warranty issue and they jumped through hoops to help when when he told me some dealers do their best to get out of honoring the warranty. They have a customer for life now.

El Cajon Harley Davidson (San Diego) thank you!!

Pix 08-06-2015 04:28 PM

Glad it worked out.

Prot 08-06-2015 06:43 PM

I wonder what the result would have been had they seen this thread before it got resolved.

ew25950 08-06-2015 07:37 PM

That's awesome news OP, glad it worked out in your favor.

Mudbogg 08-06-2015 08:17 PM

I am glad everything worked out. Sounds like they got a customer for life.

roadking2000 08-07-2015 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by bgup619 (Post 14277185)
The matter has been resolved. The service manager called me today and apologized for the delay, he had been out of town. We chatted for a couple of minutes going over what happened and why. This was an issue from the factory and something that they just usually "assume" is ok and isnt on their prep checklist. We agreed that we were both happy the issue was found when it was and was an easy fix. He then explained that he and the GM talked it over and they would be picking up the tab on the labor for the original work order for my inconvenience..

-Best part of this was the tone and genuine concern for my business from him. I thanked him and explained that the reason I chose their dealership was based on my Dad's experience he had last year when visiting. He had an extended warranty issue and they jumped through hoops to help when when he told me some dealers do their best to get out of honoring the warranty. They have a customer for life now.

El Cajon Harley Davidson (San Diego) thank you!!

That guy was much more understanding than I would have been. I guess that's why I'm not the service manager. After all the on line griping you have done, I would be asking for payment and when I got it, I'd tell you that the next time you want service, you can take it elsewhere.

ILMFBL 08-07-2015 08:36 AM

As you said earlier, it wasn't about the money but being respected as a customer. So I would have said thank you for the way you handled this matter and now I'll be right down with the $200 I really owe you.

Redoilokie 08-07-2015 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by show-n-go (Post 14277067)
Warranty work pays the dealer the same as you pay them btw, the MOCO pays them labor and buy's the parts for warranty, the dealer and HD are not one in the same.

Unless HD does business differently than auto manufacturers in this respect, this is patently false.

The manufacturer pays the dealer for warranty parts and labor yes, but the manufacturer determines what the profit margin on the job is, and let me tell you, it ain't much.

Customer pay tickets are written at higher, and often matrixed labor rates, and the parts mark up is greater as well.