Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   My problems with S100 cleaner... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1066938-my-problems-with-s100-cleaner.html)

BKSinAZ 08-22-2015 12:25 AM

My problems with S100 cleaner...

Those who know me here in these forums know I am NOT quick to complain about just anything. However I have a problem with the past two purchases of S100 cleaner. Both purchases were the quart size spray bottles. The sprayer component of the bottles broke after just one use on both bottles. In addition, although the cleaner works fairly well, the cleaner leaves a heavy film on the bike which is fairly obvious on dark colors such as my black bike. This film might be hard to detect on lighter color bikes. The problem with the film is that it is difficult to remove and can not be rinsed off with clean water. In fact I normally need to wipe the bike down multiple times to remove the film.

I am sorry about the negativity but I just wanted to share my experience with this cleaner. Has anyone else experienced this?

From_Behind 08-22-2015 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ (Post 14323122)
Those who know me here in these forums know I am NOT quick to complain about just anything. However I have a problem with the past two purchases of S100 cleaner. Both purchases were the quart size spray bottles. The sprayer component of the bottles broke after just one use on both bottles. In addition, although the cleaner works fairly well, the cleaner leaves a heavy film on the bike which is fairly obvious on dark colors such as my black bike. This film might be hard to detect on lighter color bikes. The problem with the film is that it is difficult to remove and can not be rinsed off with clean water. In fact I normally need to wipe the bike down multiple times to remove the film.

I am sorry about the negativity but I just wanted to share my experience with this cleaner and I cannot continue to support a product where the spray bottle will no longer spray after only a single use.

I haven't had any problem with the sprayer bottle failing. As far as the product leaving a film on the bike, I haven't experienced that, either. You DO have to rinse the heck out of the bike after using it, though. If not, it will leave a residue.

Sucks that you've had a bad experience.

Firewoman 08-22-2015 12:43 AM

The bike needs to be squeaky clean before you apply it since S100 is a sealer. We never rinse ours after applying it and my engine looks better than new.

BKSinAZ 08-22-2015 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Firewoman (Post 14323145)
The bike needs to be squeaky clean before you apply it since S100 is a sealer. We never rinse ours after applying it and my engine looks better than new.

I am talking about the cleaner not the engine brightener as I suspect you are referring to.

Firewoman 08-22-2015 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ (Post 14323148)
I am talking about the cleaner not the engine brightener as I suspect you are referring to.

Oops sorry, yes I was. We buy stuff to clean our engines from the corvette guy across the alley. It's like $130 for 5 gallons. I think it's actually a wheel cleaner. I'll check with Dan to make sure and see if I can get a product name for you.

mikelikesbikes 08-22-2015 01:43 AM

Never had a problem with it. I have a few of the smaller bottles that I usually refill with the gallon jug. Contact them and see what happens. Ya never now.

BoonDock_Saint 08-22-2015 03:13 AM

Could be a bad batch of spray bottles. My last one broke too. i thought maybe it has something to do with my hanging them from the trigger....

Bikerscum 08-22-2015 09:24 AM

I used S100 on my Softail back in the 90's. The white residue is still on there.

jbutch83 08-22-2015 09:50 AM

I've had the same issue with last 2 sprayers... And I have some spots on my rims that I attribute to S100 and not getting them completely washed off. I just don't use it anymore, not willing to take the chance.

Ride my Seesaw 08-22-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bikerscum (Post 14323756)
I used S100 on my Softail back in the 90's. The white residue is still on there.

Yep, same here, only the dealer used it back in 2011 and the white residue is still there on my black engine case.