General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 AM
tmurray9999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's no forget that a Harley isn't a gsxr either

Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
I hardly ever scrape my boards on my Dyna, and I ride very aggressively. I just lean my body more so as to minimize the need to lean the bike as much. Sometimes I even slide my butt cheek off the seat, too. As if I were riding a sport bike.

So perhaps you're scraping pegs because of your own inability to transfer your own body weight????
Little I can add to this.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Dyna's are your best bet for riding vigorously, however there's a video on Utube somewhere which I can't find of a guy riding one around Oxford here in the Uk like he's on a sports bike, shows you his foot pegs afterwards and they're ground down to nearly nothing at the end after the ride, so if that's the way you ride I should stick to sports bikes,could get expensive buying foot pegs every week.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

I used to hit my rear muffler at times, then went to a better shock that was also .6" longer. I don't hit any more undercarriage stuff anymore, although now and then I'll forget I'm 66, get carried away and scrape a foot peg. But they pivot, so no big deal.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I find my SB has plenty.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GCW
In choosing a ride, so far all the cruisers, be it Harley, Triumph, Yamaha, Victory ect... all have some ground clearance scraping issues on the turns.

Some are minimal and annoying that someone may want to live with or it can escalate to destroying a peg to even causing a fall. This idea annoys me so much that I'm reluctant to buy a cruiser and just find a different type of bike I like with out the scrape issue. Are there any cruisers that don't have this issue?
As others have stated, maybe try different body positioning, kissing the mirror. See the link:

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_turns.html

Old 08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by GCW
In choosing a ride, so far all the cruisers, be it Harley, Triumph, Yamaha, Victory ect... all have some ground clearance scraping issues on the turns.

Some are minimal and annoying that someone may want to live with or it can escalate to destroying a peg to even causing a fall. This idea annoys me so much that I'm reluctant to buy a cruiser and just find a different type of bike I like with out the scrape issue. Are there any cruisers that don't have this issue?
Yes, I know several people that have cruisers and don't have an issue, men and women both.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:01 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
On my sport bike, I am able to do well over 60 kph though a roundabout (38 mph).

On my Harley, I am scraping floorboards to the point that the rear wheel will lose traction anything over 20 kph (13 mph).

You drag at anything over 13 MPH? Surely you jest.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:13 PM
GCW
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I think about all this; I think I’ve come up with a good example of how I SHOULD be thinking about the “cruisers ownership”concept or not … tell me what you think;

A person doesn’t buy a vintage VW beetle because they are so reliable, rarely come with issues and are super safe to drive, but rather - he buys it for reasons like… it’s nostalgic, it's classic, historic, they’re cool looking, he likes the VW culture & community and the satisfaction and self-expression it brings.
Likewise, theses are a lot of the same reasons why Harley cruiser owners (or any cruiser owner actually but Harley especially) will purchase a cruiser as well. It is what it is and the Love'em.

SO if I want to be in the Harley owners club, I should dive in knowing and accepting that - for all the good & the bad - it's the nature of the beast. Harley Davidson may not the most super reliable brand on the market today and they’ll come with some “ground clearance issue” from time to time - BUT it’s the whole love of the Harley Davidson bike and culture... the allure of the brand that comes with being a proud owner. Like buying a vintage VW... you know what your getting into and your okay with it... because it's love. Am I Close????

Last edited by GCW; 08-27-2015 at 11:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RiverSouth (03-14-2019)
Old 08-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Reliability is not an issue at all. Your information is dated.

Quick Reply: Ground Clearance