General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding A Second To The Stable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I've always been a second (or third or eighth) bike advocate. Especially when one or more is a Harley - you're not down from riding when the bike is down for maintenance (not that my metrics never go on the jack). A dual purpose bike is great for getting far away from texters in cages, but still do ok around town. Or riding to Argentina. A sidecar is a treat for grandkids, and it can carry a lot of groceries. Or beer...

If it's just you and just carrying you from place to place, think about a used Sportster 1200. Occasionally there's a nice one in the $3-4,000 range, they're reliable, can run with your 103, and give you a little bit different kind of fun while still having that American made Harley sound and torque. And so many aftermarket bits and bling available, you can nickel and dime your budget away on weekends.

Or just get a metric; I have some of those too, and they can fill a niche a Harley doesn't. My grandson loves it when Grandpa picks him up at school with a sidecar, even if it is Russian.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You can get a new Kawasaki Concours sport tourer for less than $13,000 (close to $10,000 if you look hard for a previous year model). That bike will run 150,000 - 200,000 miles. You can get a used one with less than 10,000 miles for $7,500.

Same with The Yamaha FJR.
The FJR and Concours are mile eating SOB's. The FJR has owned the most top finishes in the Iron Butt Rally the last 2 runs.

For something different, Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ADV. Easily found New for $10,000. Great bike if your bucket list has any fire roads or Alaska trip in your future. It runs a bullet-proof water cooled V-twin engine.

If your budget is smaller than that, just look for older models. They can be had very reasonably.

CycleTrader is your friend to search for a bike.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-26-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Lighteye
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
If you're "bike poor" how will you be able to afford another bike ???
A friend is selling his 3 year old Star 1300 for $3500 with less than 5,000 adult driven and maintained miles.

Originally Posted by Marty31
The money you would spend on another bike should keep your current one going for a long time. The value of you current bike? Are you planning on selling it?
Hell no...love the Road King. It is a beast.

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I've had multiple bikes on the road at the same time since '78. "Variety is the spice of life."
Yes. Yes it is.

Originally Posted by mainboom150
holy hell this is another its really a garage queen thread isn't it ? are you freaking joking me ? did Harley or s&s stop making motors ? at this rate i bet you can ride 3 more years till you have to worrie about another motor. it will cost about 10k for a new one installed. sounds to me like your bored with the bike and want something else new because in reality the thrill is gone now. why the hell would you worrie about something like this ?
Not at all. Just riding the RK Fri-Sun will put 10-12K a year on it. No the thrill is not gone at all...The RK is an absolute blast. I LOVE riding it. I could do 4k miles a week if I was retired...I am not even close to being tired of it. I'll be getting another one when I trade this one in down the road. I think for $3500, I can enjoy another ride and keep this one from needing another motor in 2 years. Sorry your feathers got so ruffled.

Not being completely grounded and stuck driving the Tundra when the RK is down for maintenance is the idea, as well as not piling up an obscene amount of miles quickly.

Having a second ride appeals to me greatly.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 675 Likes on 373 Posts

If you love riding the Road King then ride it. Repair or rebuild the engine when you need to and keep riding it.

Problem solved.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Get a used Sporty! Craigslist is full of 'em.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I thought this was about getting a horse...
A horse won't save him money but they are just as fun and gratifying.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B m w

Old 09-26-2015, 07:18 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

If you don't have any plans of getting rid of the bike, miles don't matter. If the engine or something else wears out, just get another one. If you plan to get rid of it in a few years, I would get a bike I don't care about to put the miles on it and save the miles on the Harley. That way it will have less mikes on it when you get rid of it. My bike has 97,000 miles on it but that doesn't bother me because I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,828 Likes on 18,580 Posts

It's almost brand new again

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

I bought a 2004 Deuce as a second ride. Tore it down and made some nice changes. now I have my SGS and my hot rod bike. If you are going to have two, make them opposites.

Quick Reply: Adding A Second To The Stable?