General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What's you choice...
Using stock and happy;
24.84%
Still using stock but looking to change;
38.85%
Changed once but still looking for better;
13.38%
Changed several times and still not happy;
2.55%
Think I'm happy but still look for something better;
6.37%
Finally happy after many changes.
14.01%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Shocks, shocks, shocks !!! ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Trim Reaper
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Dane M;14439866]Well you don't have any option for "changed shocks, am happy". QUOTE]

Yes, what's up with that?
Happy with Progressive monotubes on my Road Glide front. They really help with front end dive under heavy braking.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 PM
No Torque
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shotgun Shock on my Fatboy. One of the best mods i've done to this date.

Replaced the OEM shock at 95k miles. What a night and day difference.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I didn't like the stock SGS shocks. They were great on smooth roads, but what isn't? I changed to Ohlins 2.5s and it was a tremendous improvement, but still too harsh for my tastes. Cheryl concurred. After riding another bike that had 13 inch Progressive 444 HDs I bought the 13.5 version of those. Another step in the right direction as they smoothed out the ride over the Ohlins for 75% of our riding. But that 25% is a killer. In defense of Ohlins, Progressives, and even Harley Davidson, our roads are so shitty here that I don't know that a shock will fix the issue. We have these minnie speed bumps caused from the rough winters at the expansion joints that stick up about an inch. The weight of the bike combined with minimal travel offered by even the 13.5 inch shock just doesn't cut it. I could crank the preload and still bottom out on those bumps. I've seen people get bounced off their seats.

I may be downsizing (literally) to a different bike in the Spring. I tried a Moto Guzzi California Touring and it actually soaked up those bumps. So it can be done.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:05 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 91,255 Likes on 23,488 Posts

Progressive 442s in the back with their monotubes in the front...should have done this years ago as the ride and handling are perfect.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Changed from stock but still have yet to further dial them in from how they were setup so I’m happy, but not totally happy but I wouldn’t say that I’m unhappy because I’m not unhappy at all but not completely happy yet and not unhappy enough to buy another set of shocks and I think I’ll be really happy once I get a chance to mess with the settings on the shocks but I’m working lots of overtime and that makes me unhappy but happy at the same time when I get paid, but it makes me unhappy working weekends and and and I guess you could say that I’m indifferent at the moment?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:50 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't fit in any of those categories so I can't vote. I have stock shocks but changed the fluid to a thicker oil. They work great now with less than 20 PSI in them. Best $7 I have spent on the bike.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:10 AM
2ROWDY
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Happy with my Ohlins.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:38 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

In our search for improved suspension we took over a year and tested hundreds of combinations of shocks and front suspension components.

When we embarked on this project we had no pre-conceived idea's or leanings.

During our testing we ended up becoming authorized dealers for virtually every suspension product on the market for HD's.

We've put together our findings in two reports-

Front Suspension REPORT

Rear Suspension REPORT

Not only does it give a comparison of many of the components we tested, but also gives quite a bit of detail on how we tested, and how suspension works.

We made the decision to not list the products we tested that produced less than favorable results, nor have we listed the products that were very expensive and produced results not significantly better than less expensive options.

We have included a few of the more popular model shocks to give a point of reference when comparing.

After we had done all our testing, we kept what we like best on our different personal bikes.

About a year after we completed our testing, we still were looking for an even better ride quality on the heavily loaded Touring Models and on the HD Trikes, we worked in conjunction with PA and developed a 14" shock for those bikes/trikes. These shocks are amazingly comfortable and compliant.

What we're running on some of our own bikes-

Street Glide- 14" Deluxe Touring w/ Lowering blocks and FST up front
Tri-Glide- 14" Trike Series Shocks™ with Convertible Comfort Lift™ and AK-20 up front
DK Sporty- 13" Twin Adjustable Shocks with Intiminators and Progressive Springs up front
48 Sporty- 13" Twin Adjustable Shocks with Intiminators and RaceTech Springs up front

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Satisfied with my big twins' air shocks, but sportsters are torture on a frost heaved road. Put RK air shocks on my 1200C, and now a road that literally bounced me off the seat rides smoother than my van. Handling, about the same. I know there are better, especially for peg scrapers, but I'm at an age where I don't like feeling my guts jiggling, went for the soft ride. Used 9 ounces 10 weight oil per shock, handles two up fine. I'd like to try Intiminators and single rate springs in front, maybe some day.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:06 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

I didn't participate in the poll.

I changed mine one, and now I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Shocks, shocks, shocks !!! ...