Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Does the new 2016 Heritage make the 2016 Switchback obsolete? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1074709-does-the-new-2016-heritage-make-the-2016-switchback-obsolete.html)

95ci springer 10-07-2015 05:59 AM

The balanced motors run smooth at all rpm's and speeds. My mirrors never vibrate so that I can't see anything in them. To make a false statement like that makes it obvious that you never rode one. Tell me how the rubber mounted bikes feel at low speeds! I'll tell you how mine feels! Rough as hell and unpredictable! Especially with the ridiculous fat rear tire!

jsvt184 10-07-2015 06:31 AM

I like the looks of both but I also don't think one can replace the other. They don't look that similar.

Okeeone 10-07-2015 07:03 AM

I really like the looks of both, and was looking at both before i bought. In the end analysis I bought the Softtail, but I think 10 years ago I would probably have gone with the Switchback. As I get older I appreciate the classic looks combined with the modern amenities more. The HO B motor and cruise control on the 2016 Heritage put me over the top.

Definitely room for both in the lineup though.

95ci springer 10-07-2015 07:47 AM

I wish we were able to see the age and sex of the purchases and the units sold. This would tell us the answer.

JimAndHisDyna 10-07-2015 11:43 AM

Speaking of fakery...

Originally Posted by tar_snake (Post 14453035)
The Switchback was an abortion from day one. If you're going to have a softtail-like bike, get a damned softtail, not something trying to fake its way as one.

I don't like something looking like something it is not. The Japanese bikes that are edging ever-so-closer to the Harley look are a good example. Japanese cruisers used to have their own look... remember the V65 Magna from the '80's? Didn't look like a Harley at all. Now there are Harley clones all over the place. I have to look twice at some of these copies.

Where is this all going? Well, the reason I bought a Dyna over a Softtail is because the Softtail (in my opinion) is trying to fake its way as a hardtail. If I want the hardtail look, I'll just buy a damn hardtail. But I don't.

Now comes the hate replies.

95ci springer 10-07-2015 12:23 PM

Maybe the Dynas look like Japanese bikes from the 70's...or overgrown sportsters...

RK4ME 10-07-2015 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 95ci springer (Post 14461147)
The balanced motors run smooth at all rpm's and speeds. My mirrors never vibrate so that I can't see anything in them. To make a false statement like that makes it obvious that you never rode one. Tell me how the rubber mounted bikes feel at low speeds! I'll tell you how mine feels! Rough as hell and unpredictable! Especially with the ridiculous fat rear tire!

Why don't you ask a Motor Officer how rough and unpredictable his FL is at low speeds. My Road King feels good at any speed.

Tailsfrommycrib 10-07-2015 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimAndHisDyna (Post 14462078)

Where is this all going? Well, the reason I bought a Dyna over a Softtail is because the Softtail (in my opinion) is trying to fake its way as a hardtail. If I want the hardtail look, I'll just buy a damn hardtail. But I don't.

Now comes the hate replies.

Fake Hardtail LOL! This is the second time someone has said this is this thread alone. I've heard this same response so many times on this forum that it could Hardley be called orignal. Whatever your reasons are just enjoy your ride.

Michael Psycle 10-07-2015 01:18 PM

I like my 2014 Switchback and am not trading it in any time soon. I would like cruise control though.

95ci springer 10-07-2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RK4ME (Post 14462217)
Why don't you ask a Motor Officer how rough and unpredictable his FL is at low speeds. My Road King feels good at any speed.

My shovelhead is even smoother at low speed! Have you ever owned a Softail? Motor is smooth as silk! Suspension is something different.