General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you use Ride-On tire sealant & balancer

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 04:57 AM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sold on Ride-On, but I've always carried (& needed numerous times) Safety Seal sticky strings & reamer/inserter, which has always worked great for me in cars & bikes. I've never had a flat with Ride-On, but I just can't give up & stop carrying my Safety Seals, which in my experience, has been pretty much a permanent repair for small puncture in tread area on both cars & bikes.

Has anyone ever put a sticky-string plug into a punctured tire that had Ride-On in it? I'm wondering if the Ride-On negatively affects the sealing ability of Safety Seals? Anyone know?

Old 10-11-2015, 06:52 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got it now, used to use Dyna beads. Can't really tell the difference, both do what they say they will for balancing. Not sure about leaks, and I hope to never find out, lol.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,404 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Can Ride-On be removed from a worn out tire and put into your next new tire ? Is it recyclable scene it never hardens.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Can Ride-On be removed from a worn out tire and put into your next new tire ? Is it recyclable scene it never hardens.
This is directly from their website

Q. I just opened up my tire and the sealant looks great, is it okay if I scoop the product out and install it in my new tire?

A. We do not recommend under any circumstance, nor can we be held responsible for the results of reusing or recycling (from one tire to another) our sealants. While our sealants might look good enough to reuse, doing so causes all sorts of problems for the operator. While in use, certain components (such as corrosion inhibitors and polymers) age and are consumed. If the sealant is recycled, the lack of these components leads to poor sealing, balancing, and possible corrosion. A good parallel example for this would be to take motor oil out of one engine and put it in another. It is simply not done. The same holds true with Ride-On and we are absolutely not accountable for the results of this practice.

The website is replete with information. You may want to check it out.

http://www.ride-on.com/

Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

it's great and works well. i'll never run weights again.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,404 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
This is directly from their website

Q. I just opened up my tire and the sealant looks great, is it okay if I scoop the product out and install it in my new tire?

A. We do not recommend under any circumstance, nor can we be held responsible for the results of reusing or recycling (from one tire to another) our sealants. While our sealants might look good enough to reuse, doing so causes all sorts of problems for the operator. While in use, certain components (such as corrosion inhibitors and polymers) age and are consumed. If the sealant is recycled, the lack of these components leads to poor sealing, balancing, and possible corrosion. A good parallel example for this would be to take motor oil out of one engine and put it in another. It is simply not done. The same holds true with Ride-On and we are absolutely not accountable for the results of this practice.

The website is replete with information. You may want to check it out.

http://www.ride-on.com/
If they can get you to not reuse it , then you'll just have to buy more . So yes they will tell you not to recycle it . It like Harley telling you that you must replace that gasket or O ring when you really don't.
If the guys that use it are recycling it into there new tires then I'm going to also give a shot.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:50 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I would think it could be reused, but I also think it would be a PITA to do so.
The stuff's not that expensive.

Just replace it with the new tire.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

I'm glad I don't know everything or pretend I do. Ride-On, I learned something else.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by babygorilla
I've got it now, used to use Dyna beads. Can't really tell the difference, both do what they say they will for balancing. Not sure about leaks, and I hope to never find out, lol.
I'm also happy with the Dyna Beads but will move to RideOn from the next tire replacement.

The RideOn is easier to install compared to drip feeding the beads through the valve, and of course it provides some puncture protection.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:10 AM
waramaug
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you use RideOn without removing existing wheel weights?

Quick Reply: How many of you use Ride-On tire sealant & balancer