General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You can learn even from them

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:42 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy
If you're on a Sportster you already have a leg up on any other "cruiser" when you're riding with sportbikes.
Thanks. I will take it as a compliment.

Originally Posted by Next In Line
The day I started riding a sport bike was the day I realized I didn't know how to ride a motorcycle properly even though I had over 15 years experience riding a Harley.
This is so true. I've been riding since I was 14 (I am 36 now) but never had to push myself to such limits before I started riding with sports bikes.

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Pipe scratches mean little, let's see the chicken strips
I am out of town right now but will try to take pics of chicken strips and post in this thread.

Originally Posted by Jonesee
He may not be able to get to his chicken strips if the bike doesn't have sufficient lean angle.

I've said this before:
If you want to learn to ride a motorcycle correctly,
GO TO A TRACK DAY
and take some lessons.

To hell with riders edge course.

Hit the track, learn how to ride and control a bike at speed.
Learn how to read a curve.
Learn how to enter a curve and how to exit it.
Learn to move your center of gravity.
On a Harley, you can start by just relaxing your inside elbow and dropping your head and shoulders into the turn more than the bike.
Learn what real braking is about.

Want to see a rider that is comfortable on a bike.
Look for the rider that learned n the dirt, moved to the track and bought a Harley to slow down.
Jonesee - I couldn't agree more. It' all about shifting the center of gravity at the right time when entering and exiting the curve.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I started riding dirt bikes when I was a kid, rode the hell out of them till I hit 30 and was too beat up to continue. Started riding on the road at 17 on a Honda cb 750. Progressed to a gsxr. Got tired of the uncomfortable position on the Rockets so got a hog. Love the king for cruising but missed the speed and the dirt so I picked up a triumph tiger explorer, a 140hp motor in a dirt bike. It is awesome for touring and tearing it up, on and off road. I love my king and the triumph, both serve different purposes so I don't get bored with either.