General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using S-100 to clean your bike.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:09 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Just a note - S-100 isn't soap.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,252 Likes on 1,534 Posts

S-100 is a sealant....you put it on after you wash and dry. Puts a shiny gloss on things.

I get old oil residue with spray cans of carb cleaner or engine degreaser...rinse well, then you can hit it with the S-100....or if you get a chance to pickup PigSpit...try that. You'll find it lasts longer on the engine that S-100...don't have to do it as many times per year.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,821 Posts

Tide Liquid laundry detergent is a good degreaser also. I even use it to wash out gas tanks. Removes every molecule of gas and makes it safe to weld. It does a pretty fair job on oil stains in the garage and driveway if ya brush it in good.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:40 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Just a note - S-100 isn't soap.
Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
S-100 is a sealant....you put it on after you wash and dry. Puts a shiny gloss on things.
You get S-100 cleaner and S-100 engine brightener.

I use silicone spray as an engine brightener.

Amazon.com: S100 12600A Total Cycle Cleaner Aerosol - 21 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: S100 12600A Total Cycle Cleaner Aerosol - 21 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: S100 19200A Engine Brightener Aerosol - 4.5 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: S100 19200A Engine Brightener Aerosol - 4.5 oz.: Automotive

Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1004ron
You get S-100 cleaner and S-100 engine brightener.
Well I'll be.....
never seen their cleaner. Only seen their "brightener".

Holy crap just looked at the price, 11 bucks! You can pick an engine degreaser/degunker for 3 fifty in most auto shops.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Not S-100 Total Cycle Cleaner. It's a cleaner.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:08 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Not S-100 Total Cycle Cleaner. It's a cleaner.
Yeah prior reply by 1004Iron got that squared. Most of us are just used to the S100 "brightener"...dunno if the S100 cleaner is newer or just not popular. And the OP didn't state which one he used.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

some of the suggestions on here are suspect at best.

S-100 not a cleaner? I guess the bottle is labeled wrong.

Brake Cleaner? I suppose it could work, but that crap is caustic as hell. It cleans a new brake rotor of its rust inhibiter. It also usually leaves a white residue behind, especially on black crinkle paint. Maybe you could use an electronics cleaner that is marked no residue.

Don't use Castrol Super Clean....that crap will take anything that isn't chromed and eat it to a dull lustre and break down every piece of rubber it touches. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but I gotta know where its going to use it. I once had a harmonic balancer come unglued from its elastomer because I was trying to get rid of belt squeal from some grease I had dropped on a serpentine belt. Didn't take all that much.

I've tested a lot of stuff to make this whole bike cleaning thing easy and I haven't found much that cleans as well as S-100 cleaner. However...it can leave a film like no other that needs to be polished off of everything, even if you flush the crap out of the surface you're cleaning.

I recently decided to try a good concentration of Simple Green after having some excellent success cleaning and detailing a corvette engine compartment. I've used it before with mixed results. But as long as there's not a lot of oil and gunk build up, its easy to apply of course and letting it set a little too long doesn't punish you too bad. That being said, its kinda weak so I save it for times when the bike isn't too particularly dirty.

When I changed my oil on my RK, I poured oil all over that thing the first time I did it. Just couldn't figure out some of the things I needed to make a clean change. I sprayed the hell out of that oil filter area with S-100, then sat there and flushed it for what seemed like an eternity. Came out great.

The real piece of information you're looking for is how to get that oil filter out of there without dripping oil all over the place.

I went to the kitchen. Got three, 1 foot lengths of aluminum foil, layered them and folded the edges so as to make a stiff, malleable sheet of foil. I rolled it a bit to get one end in the shape of the filter and slid it over the filter. Then I opened it up as best I could to allow it to funnel any oil coming out of the filter and filter mount into my oil drain pan. As I take filter out, (filter already loose before applying foil) everything comes out in one piece, voila. not a drop.

hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Yeah prior reply by 1004Iron got that squared. Most of us are just used to the S100 "brightener"...dunno if the S100 cleaner is newer or just not popular. And the OP didn't state which one he used.
Oh, it's not new . . . S100 Total Cycle Cleaner has been around for a lonnngggg time. Lots of folks use it. I just assumed that's the product he was talking about since the thread was called "Using S100 to clear your bike" . . . LOL.

I see your post above now, by the way. It's not cheap stuff. But, it's pretty awesome.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:28 AM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

S-100 isn't soap........ it's people, it's PEOPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Sorry, it just popped into my head.

I use the S-100 cleaner a couple times a year, as stated on the bottle make sure to rinse thoroughly, even the driveway. First time I used it, there was an outline left on the driveway.

Quick Reply: Using S-100 to clean your bike.