General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interstate Riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, it gets better with time. You learn to look well ahead, plan to make your moves and stay visible.

For me it didn't get easy until we HAD TO do 500 miles in the rain. There was no two ways about it. I just kind of turned off thinking about the weather and traffic and rode.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:43 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Lately I've had more close calls on the back roads. I feel like I have a large target on me and with the deer moving, wet leaves and colder temps so cagers have windows up I find myself taking some longer runs on a 6 lane more enjoyable. I know there's risks on any road but the back roads especially at night just aren't cutting it lately.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:47 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Yes riding on the interstate gets better with time. It never gets to be fun when riding in a suburban area such as Houston. Put a windshield on the bike. Never be the slowest one in traffic. I also ride in the far left lane and try to ride just a little faster than the traffic. I have found that riding in any other lane results in vehicles from all directions coming at me. Also, no music while in town on the interstate. Out on the open road, as stated previously, the interstate is a great way to cover 600 miles in a day without stress.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 1,264 Posts

You'll get more used to it. The key for me was trying to relax my grip and posture. Seems like the more you fight it, the worse it feels.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:51 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

An interstate is a huge asphalt conveyor belt designed to transport large containers of freight and smaller containers of people from A to B with minimal effort/input by operators of said containers...
If YOU need to get from A to B in a prescribed amount of time, they work. On the other hand, I can go for thousands of miles on 2 lane, thru countless small towns, and be happy as can be. Depends on your trip
I have ridden interstates and you can get accustomed to them; definitely require a different style and time frame than moseying down a secondary highway. I ride to be able to do what I like; never commute on my bike.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I ride a Road King, it eats up the interstate, runs the back roads and twisties too. Running the fast lane 80mph is effortless for me and the bike. But, here in the North West we have many beautiful Interstates that make a great ride. We get there and enjoy the ride all at the same time.

As for you being a new rider, Yes you will get used to all that riding offers. Being cold, hot, miserable and having the time of your life is all part of motorcycle riding. There are many low mile bikes for sale because lots of folks find out they can't cut it.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,536 Likes on 808 Posts

I like interstate riding just fine when it looks like this:

Old 12-05-2015, 09:01 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

On our last trip out west we logged over 4,000 miles on the 09 Ultra. Probably less than 200 miles of that was interstate. There are just some big metro areas that you have to use the interstate to go through/around.

Locally I will jump on the interstate and run short distances just to run errands quicker, rather than sit in traffic and take twice as long to go someplace. If riding with others locally we almost always avoid interstates.

The point is you should get comfortable with all types of road configurations in all types of traffic patterns. I enjoy riding no matter if I am running across town to pick up a lawn mower blade or I am on a cross country trip.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey there....fellow Houstonian here and know the problems w/ interstate!
Think they are universal to all metro areas now...traffic (heavy truck traffic due to the cranked up economy). But even the back roads are getting crowded with everyone having a gps. Those clever fools find the shortcuts.

My last trip I did solo was to leave Houston and go out to the Dragons Tail area.

I rode up there backroads...only touched the interstate to go thru Chattanooga. Coming back I was short on time and went interstate or major US highways the entire way back.

Man, im getting to hate the interstate. I was kind of hoping with all this shovel ready jobs and "hope and change" that the current govt. was going to do a major upgrade to our interstates. Silly me.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:09 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
I like interstate riding just fine when it looks like this:
Not for sure where that is, but Yes. Riding out west like I90 to Sturgis is like riding a big *** back road. Same for lots of Nevada and Utah and perhaps most of our USA away from the big cities.

Quick Reply: Interstate Riding