General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked Exhaust Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cracked Exhaust Heat Shield

While cleaning my 2005 Heritage Softail Classic I noticed a cracked exhaust heat shield.

It is the heat shield on the front cylinder exhaust next to the rider's right heel. The bike has 4,100 miles on it and has Screamin' Eagle pipes which were installed by my local HD dealer at 1,200 miles.

Should this be an item covered by the basic warranty? I'll be headed down to see the HD boys on Monday.

Edmo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1690/E41D984BD7C34D948208F3E20F105E3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Cracked Exhaust Heat Shield

if you bought it from them and they installed it id take it back and walk in throwiing a fit!

Old 09-25-2005, 10:15 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That shouldn't have cracked. Probably cracked near the mounting where bracket is welded to backside. I'd take it back.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:56 PM
bassrock
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same exact thing happen on my 04 heritage. Cracked and then proceded to keep cracking until it broke. Didn't think much about the warrenty on this but called up my dealer and said it was a common problem on these and they replaced it for no charge. This is a warrenty issue and will be replaced for you for free. If not your dealer is screwing you.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Edmo
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bassrock

... If not your dealer is screwing you.
I think if you buy one of these things, you are paying the dealer's light bill for at least 6 months. I'll let you know what the dealer says.

Edmo

Old 09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats interesting....it shouldnt crack. a good dealer will get that covered under warranty.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:05 PM
flstci05
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 05 Heritage bout 3 mos ago and had the dealer put Python pipes on.....Got to 2800 miles,and noticed a crack in the exact same place.
I took it to my local dealer and they said they couldn't warranty it because the python pipes were not fit properly to the exhaust....so $110.00 later I left PO'D.....
Do me a favor let me know if they fix yours under warranty.......Steve

Old 10-17-2005, 01:09 AM
bassrock
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would take it up with MOCO because this happend to my 04 heritage and was covered under warrantee. Mine had screaming eagles installed by the dealer. I am assuming that you took it back to the same dealer that put the pipes on when you bought the bike. If they don't reimburse you you are getting the shaft as this is a common problem with the front heat shield.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Edmo
Road Master

ORIGINAL: flstci05

I bought an 05 Heritage bout 3 mos ago and had the dealer put Python pipes on.....Got to 2800 miles,and noticed a crack in the exact same place.
I took it to my local dealer and they said they couldn't warranty it because the python pipes were not fit properly to the exhaust....so $110.00 later I left PO'D.....
Do me a favor let me know if they fix yours under warranty.......Steve
Issue finally resolved...

The Service Manager installed the new heat shield today. He said, "I'll send it into HD and see what they say." However, I've got a new shield and didn't have to pay for it... As far as I'm concerned, it is covered under warranty.

The hardest part of the whole deal was getting the Service Manager to return my calls. He never did, so I called his parts guy and had him order the shield. When he asked me if I was using a credit card, I told him is was a warranty item. I got the call it was in and dropped by and waited while they installed it.

OBTW, the 4" of heat shield aft of the crack is now somewhere on the side of the road. If this happens again I'll snap the loose piece off so it doesn't end up cutting someone's tire after it departs the bike.

Edmo

Old 10-21-2005, 10:24 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

once you snap it off id shove it up the service managers azz!! may be then he'll start returning phone calls

Quick Reply: Cracked Exhaust Heat Shield