General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy hauler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
And even without the "tow" package the wiring was still there. Just not hooked up.
The wiring harness is plug 'n play. Mine had a separate breaker box on the firewall for the trailer circuits.

I'm looking at a toy box vs travel trailer to pull with my 1/2 ton Chevy, so this thread is relevant to my interests. I'll either put my Road King in a small toy hauler or pull a travel trailer with my DR 650 in the pickup's box.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:09 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,131 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
The wiring harness is plug 'n play. Mine had a separate breaker box on the firewall for the trailer circuits.

I'm looking at a toy box vs travel trailer to pull with my 1/2 ton Chevy, so this thread is relevant to my interests. I'll either put my Road King in a small toy hauler or pull a travel trailer with my DR 650 in the pickup's box.
Yep, plug & play with tow package, wiring there but not hooked up without tow package.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Jumper1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I'll either put my Road King in a small toy hauler or pull a travel trailer with my DR 650 in the pickup's box.

This spring I plan to figure a good way to put bike in the back and tow camper. Don't really care for the living arrangements of the small toy haulers.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,465 Posts

I've been wanting to get a toyhauler for years. problem is, I can afford the toy hauler, or the new truck, but not both....

after careful consideration, I think 'our' solution is to go with something like a droptail trailer or kendon dual bike trailer (app $3,000), keep my old truck (2003 ford f150), and for the couple of times per year that we would actually use it, to stay at hotels. that would save us the $30,000+ for the trailer, annual registration/taxes, and maintenance costs. sure, we'd have to pay out a couple hundred to stay at the hotel, but it would take a long time for that cost to outpace the cost of the toyhauler.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:56 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I used to pull a KZ MXT with 2 bikes in it with an F150. Worked great! Pulled it all over the Colorado mountains one summer!

Old 01-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I've been wanting to get a toyhauler for years. problem is, I can afford the toy hauler, or the new truck, but not both....

after careful consideration, I think 'our' solution is to go with something like a droptail trailer or kendon dual bike trailer (app $3,000), keep my old truck (2003 ford f150), and for the couple of times per year that we would actually use it, to stay at hotels. that would save us the $30,000+ for the trailer, annual registration/taxes, and maintenance costs. sure, we'd have to pay out a couple hundred to stay at the hotel, but it would take a long time for that cost to outpace the cost of the toyhauler.

I think for most people the reason to go with a toy hauler vs. staying in a hotel isn't about cost but rather the privacy and "home" setting that a trailer or motorhome provides.

My parents owned a $150K motorhome and other than 4-5 long trips never traveled more than 2 hours from home.
To them being able to take their "home" with them was worth every penny.

For us we're with you and the amount of money we save by not owning a trailer allows us to stay in more upscale accomodations such as a nice cabins.
That being said I certainly understand the draw of a one's own private
accomodations.

Below is how we get to where we're going.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK

And don't forget about needing side mirrors that extend out to see around a 8' wide trailer plus a brake controller, neither of which most F150 PU's have.

The Ford towing mirrors are easily adapted to a F150, I have them on my 2005 and it required one pin change. they are available aftermarket for 250 bucks a set.

My F150 also came with the harness to plug the brake controller in to the factory harness.

My F150 with the heavy duty snow plow prep package that includes 4.10 gears , stronger axles and heavy everything tows 10K no problem with the axle and hitch weights within recommendations.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:52 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,382 Likes on 2,487 Posts

I can give you this advice, from my own experience. I had KZ build a toy hauler for me, based upon a 7X16 box trailer. They did a nice job and the end cost was less than $8000. But, you cannot get two bikes into a seven foot wide trailer with fold-up beds. Let me modify that. You can, but you will not enjoy it.
That limits your real, viable options to the 8 and 8.5 wide boxes. Based upon the two aluminum trailer companies you reference, you are looking at $25,500 or more as a base price and around 4000 pound empty. Do a search. There are a lot of trailers out there, designed to be towed by a half ton truck, for a lot less than that. Look at used units. Many people by the small ones and find they are too much of a compromise. The unit isn't two years old and they are wanting to sell. That puts the unit in the $6000 range.
Or, look at something along these lines: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2015-132...m=111878731915

Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

Pbsdaddy I looked at those style trailers but living in Wisconsin and wanting to use the trailer in the winter to get us in the southern states to ride for a winter vacation we want something to get the bikes out of the elements. Don't want to deal with cleaning the salt off the bikes from being open on the trailer.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumper1
This spring I plan to figure a good way to put bike in the back and tow camper. Don't really care for the living arrangements of the small toy haulers.
The small toy haulers do look cramped but I could make-do. There are lots of Class C motor homes out there too. If I trailer a bike somewhere, I'll probably just do day rides, so I won't HAVE to bring my Road King.

Quick Reply: Toy hauler question