General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
You guys that ride in the 30's have my total respect....and envy.
....... fairings & lowers are your friends

Old 01-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

You have a talent for thread titles.

I made a perhaps not well thought out trip long ago and ran into a little snow, below freezing of course, passing through Oregon in November. Fingers were getting so numb I could hardly grab the clutch handle, and saw a snowmobile dealer. That was over 30 years ago and those leather mitts still work. Newer material liners make them even better. I've been down in single digits without any heated clothes, but that's getting harder to do as I near 70 (years, not mph, darn it). Had a snowmobile suit (but not snowmobile) that kept me warm in single digits; my biggest issue with cold is keeping my feet warm; even my insulated boots eventually freeze the toes at 70 mph in freezing temps. Visit a snowmobile dealer, they can keep you warm. Not for cheap, though.

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Winter is why I bought the Ural. I have a 12 month riding season now.
Figured I wouldn't be riding mine in Minnysota salt soup anyway, so when I saw a good deal on a single wheel drive, got it. But I had to try some snow anyway...

Nuts, photobucket's down. Just the thumbnail at the bottom thing today.

6-8 inches was a bit too much for it with a sidecar dragging. My sporty has way better traction for going, but watch those corners...

I did manage a ride last month before the soft snow turned to crunchy salt, 2-3" was no problem. Turn off your 2wd and a Ural spins really good to the right! Just kinda plows ahead to the left, though, could only do donuts to the right, so tight the sidecar wheel almost stayed in the same spot till you got some speed up. Took a pic of donut tracks, below, you can probably guess which one's to the right. I'm going to grow up one of these days.

[QUOTE=SanJuanRon;14787777]
Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Very impressive! Although I would prefer a snowmobile or ATV in those conditions. Ron
They don't drift around turns as easy.

Attached Thumbnails Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden-stuck-ural-x640.jpg   Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden-snow-ride-2-800x.jpg   Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden-snow-ride-8-800x.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBLAND
Your post made me almost send coffee through my nose! We are chomping at the bit here as we both got new mufflers and some bike bling but I don't want to uncover the bikes until we can use them. Usually March here. Last year it was the very last day of March but it was still March! Trying to remember why I retired to Minnesota.
That was wonderful. Had a good rain, cleaned the roads off, then turned to light snow. Put the battery in the 1200 real quick and got out in the rain/snow mix, figured they'd be salting the roads again when it stopped, but they didn't; salt season was over. I never intended to stay here when I retired, but finally got a grandson 2 days after I retired. Kind of hard to leave, now. I need an enclosed trailer, be nice to haul a couple bikes south of the salt a couple times in winter.

Attached Thumbnails Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden-snow-ride-5_720x.jpg   Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden-snow-ride-6_720x.jpg  
Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
....... fairings & lowers are your friends
and thermal underwear.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:51 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,534 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Us folks up here in the north are all broken up 'cause y'all can't ride occasionally down yonder!

Last week, our road (which has a slight grade) was ice packed and I had to put my truck in neutral (to keep the back-end from slidding) when heading towards the black top county road.

I'm "down" until mid-April with 4 Harleys and two, two-seat convertibles to look at, while paying insurance and (ever increasing) registration fees on!!

The "good news" is.....it makes us appreciate them more when we do have a chance to play with them!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

There are other ways to ride your bike that can keep your hands really warm - you'll need to throw on a 2-up seat though & the sound of those pipes can drown out many other "noises" - hint hint....

Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
ok thank you..sold

I do like how they look on your bike. very nice.
Thank you Me too!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
At least park it in the kitchen. I would but RIP won't let me. Surely nothing stopping you?
Hmmm.... If it weren't for running into in the dark or while Im stumbling for coffee in the early morning, I might consider it.

Originally Posted by Imold
You have a talent for thread titles.
thank you, its a gift.

Originally Posted by JMC22
There are other ways to ride your bike that can keep your hands really warm - you'll need to throw on a 2-up seat though & the sound of those pipes can drown out many other "noises" - hint hint....
You Sir, are a genius. I happen to have a 2-up in storage and the building is fairly warm....

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
You guys that ride in the 30's have my total respect....and envy.

I used to ride plenty in the upper 30's to 40. It is over-rated

Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,335 Likes on 11,165 Posts

I rode about 40 miles at freeway speeds (70ish) in 45 degrees yesterday morning. Jeans, fingerless gloves, heavy HD FXR jacket...and I about froze to death. One of th guys I met up with donated a pair of heavy snowmobile gloves. Helped a lot.

Oh yeah...I got a bunch of crap from the Gold Wingers that my Harley didn't have heated grips, and a heated seat...

Old 01-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
I used to ride plenty in the upper 30's to 40. It is over-rated
They don't make enough thermal gear to keep me warm. I've often thought of wearing my insulated bibs but then I feel like ....

So, I'll wait til spring and just go visit my girl in the shed.

Quick Reply: Lonely Girl Needs To Be Ridden