General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
hefitz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway

Was coming home from a PGR mission this past Saturday and was about 100 yards behind a wrecker. He hit a bump oin the road and drive shaft came bouncing of the bed of his truck, right at me. Fortunately, I was paying attention and managed to swerve around the thing. it was toppling end over end.

Made the pucker factor go way up.....

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT LEAST HE WAS WEARING A HELMET

Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TuesdayI had a giant refuse truck pull in front of me and proceed to drop multiple rusty ironI beams and flatbar out of his truck. Result was general demolition derby with flying cars and crashes all around. Lucky was that I hit a flat bar that landed flat between two I beams. As I sped around him with the pipes blasting theirangriest roar, I noticed no license plate. What can a little Sporty do to stop a monster like that?

Not much. He just ignored me. Never a LEO around when you really need one.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Long time residents of Houston may remember back 15 years or so, when a truck carrying metal shavings from a machine shop was driving down the Southwest Frwy and did not realize, or didn't care, that thery were slowly losing their load. When morning rush hour started, I think I remember the total being something like 400 flat tires that morning within a 10 mile stretch.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Darryl88
Road Captain

scarey......Im always leary about driving at night

Old 05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Original Junior
Road Master

A buddy and I were riding to Mrytle last year for bike week when a pickup towing a trailer with a pallet of bricks cut in front of us. I back down a bit and sure enough the pallet started to topple and bricks came flying. My buddy swerved into the off ramp and I went the other direction. I managed a small scar on the front fork that I had to clearcoat since it started to rust. Remember the rainy bike week last year, hail and all! Well it looks to be another wet one. Well, I don't feel so bad that I won't be able to attend.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Being a fleet safety manager for a large trucking company, I can say with certainty the feds and states are cracking down on loose/insecure loads. Problem is that there are so many loads that are also lost on non-commercial vehicles (such as ladders), driveway pavers, paint cans, etc. the highways are still littered.

Keep a safe following distance so if something comes off the vehicle ahead, you have time to make a decision about what to do, and if there is something in the roadand you are followoing too close, you will never see it until too late. Ride at a sped at night in which you can safely stop within the distance that your headlight illuminates.

Even following all the above recommendations, there are times that the crap on the road is just plain dangerous.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: thug

Be very careful on our roads! I find all kinds of crap strewn across the roads around here all they time. Makes you wonder if people really take the time to secure their loads. I know I'm much more mindful about it than the average motorist because I ride.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/kprc/2007051...zjBTWuW48E1vAI
Always sad to hear of this sort of thing. Whether he was speeding or not the wood should have not been on the road. It is a tragedy.

A heart felt sympath and prayers to his family.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

If you reallyi want to see a crap-strewn road, I-287 here in north Jersey has more trash than you can imagine. I've seen tire retread, crap falling off of trucks, car parts, you name it and I've hit a few in my time, thankfully none with the bike.
I can attest to that. Also great gobs of freshly slaughtered venison too. More deer get nailed on this highway then in the woods during hunting season.
Thats awful about that Texas rider. I feel for his family. I used to like riding at night during the summer. But that was back in the day when I had the night vision of an Owl.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I 75 in Pembroke Pines ( So Fla), whole three peice living room set laying in the middle of the road. The cops need to crack down on people drivingthe VW with the Big Screen and other living room funiture tied to the top. Same section of road a while back some guy drops a washing machine off his vehicle, a person in a car behind him was killed. the guy was procsecuted for manslauter or something like that. They tracked him to the home depotnearby and tracked the bar code to him and store cameras. Good work by the law.

Quick Reply: Motorcylist Dies After Hitting Debris on Freeway