General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopping On The Side Of The Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Stopping along highway

For many years I ran service calls for a large trucking company and I will tell you that being stopped on the side of a road/berm is one of the most dangerous places you can be, bar none ! The absolute only reason you should be "stopped" on the berm is because forward movement is not possible and became impossible too quickly to do anything about it. I cringe when I see a group of bikers stopped , if you are in a group only the person behind the breakdown stops and the rest of the group pulls off at the first safe place and calls back to learn the problem. I've seen numerous riders and passengers meandering around on the berm,some over the white line putting themselves and others in tremendous danger expecting oncoming traffic to watch out for them, well you may expect them to see you but when you're dead it won't matter ! Helping someone with a legitimate problem is all good and I have but the first rule of business is getting them further off the road, to a safer location, or use flares/reflective clothing or a flag person to alert the traffic. Riding a motorcycle demands a different mindset than driving a vehicle for many reasons and learning to keep yourself out of harms way is so basic yet easily overlooked, the hobby is dangerous in it's own right, no need to invite disaster. Wishes for safe travel for everyone out there !

Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by eeyore
I confess - I have stopped on the breakdown lane of an interstate because I was lost and not sure what exit to take. Didn't need any help just wanted to check the map. I thought that's what the nice wide shoulders were for.
The shoulder of an interstate is probably one of the most dangerous places there is to stop.

Originally Posted by joe.1955
We've had several bad accidents here lately where people ran into cars on the shoulder, one of those hit was an LEO with full lights on for a traffic stop.

Remember, they are zipping past you at 70+ mph and you are only a few feet away.

There is a term they use called "Target Fixation".

For whatever reason, drivers seem to be drawn to stopped vehicles along the side of the road just like moths to light.

Originally Posted by rlh7677
For many years I ran service calls for a large trucking company and I will tell you that being stopped on the side of a road/berm is one of the most dangerous places you can be, bar none ! The absolute only reason you should be "stopped" on the berm is because forward movement is not possible and became impossible too quickly to do anything about it. I cringe when I see a group of bikers stopped , if you are in a group only the person behind the breakdown stops and the rest of the group pulls off at the first safe place and calls back to learn the problem. I've seen numerous riders and passengers meandering around on the berm,some over the white line putting themselves and others in tremendous danger expecting oncoming traffic to watch out for them, well you may expect them to see you but when you're dead it won't matter ! Helping someone with a legitimate problem is all good and I have but the first rule of business is getting them further off the road, to a safer location, or use flares/reflective clothing or a flag person to alert the traffic. Riding a motorcycle demands a different mindset than driving a vehicle for many reasons and learning to keep yourself out of harms way is so basic yet easily overlooked, the hobby is dangerous in it's own right, no need to invite disaster. Wishes for safe travel for everyone out there !

Old 01-31-2016, 11:24 PM
RC51Crazy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the mid 80's, i stopped to help a guy on an old shovel head harley. I was on my then new Kawasaki 900 Ninja. It was a 100 degree day and the closest exit was a good 3 miles in either direction. He had run out of gas and i offered him a ride to the next exit. He told me to F%&k off that he wouldn't take a ride from someone on a f&%king rice burner. I left his sorry *** standing in the sun. I was headed to the local Honda / Yamaha / Harley dealer in town and told them about the guy, but i didn't stop to help anyone on a Harley for a long time after that. Now, i always slow down and check to see if they need help, regardless of what they are riding.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,019 Likes on 2,822 Posts

I've stopped on the highway for all the things the O.P. mentioned and more, but I usually like to find a bridge to hang out under and if anybody looks as if they plan to stop I wave them on. Except of course when I'm pissing because my hands are pretty full and body language in that case is usually fairly obvious. Then again, of the hundreds of bikes that have passed me on the roadside I can count on one hand those that have even attempted to stop.

But now that I don't smoke that's one less reason I have to pull over. Besides, if I'm broke down and I can't fix it on my own you probably can't help me unless you're pulling an empty trailer.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

It is pretty dangerous and stupid to try to stop when you see another bike on the shoulder of a busy interstate. If he is broke down what are you going to do? Produce the needed parts and tools and repair his bike, or if he is out of gas are you going to produce a gallon of fuel to put in his ride?

It is more likely that he will tell you to beat it because he just pulled over to take a phone call, or to stretch, or whatever. If he is broke down let him call someone.

The only person that should be stopping to see what his problem is would be a uniform
Trooper.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:54 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Great post.This should be required reading for everybody that has a drivers license.!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Absolutely this. Well said.

I work in QC for a paving company - we do highway projects every year. Every year we get numerous 'intrusions' into our paving packages. These are laid out with cones, attenuator trucks, big pieces of yellow equipment with strobes, and often police officers. Drivers still enter the paving area. I have been doing this for 10 years and have not had a year where I have not heard of at least one worker killed by an intruding car.

Highway shoulders scare me like no place else.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

I stop to offer help if I can get stopped safely. If you are OK, a quick thumbs up would be appreciated. I have stopped for a couple of accidents to offer first aid supplies.

I have been broke down a couple of times and others have offered assistance. I had a flat once and a guy stopped with a trailer and offered to carry me to an indy back down the road. I took him up on the offer. He had a trailer that dropped down flat on the ground and tie downs.

And for those that do not offer assistance, thanks for the help. And for those that just stop on the road to use the phone or smoke, .......

Last edited by Grandslam; 02-01-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

I have stopped to help folks on the side of the road.
Assisted them in pushing their bike the furthest away from the road possible.
I had the tools and the knowledge.
Sometimes it was gas (i have a piece of fuel hose that has been used several times), helped with a flat (i have the 12 v pump , slime and a plug kit that has been used several times), helped with simple stuff like a shift linkage (carry a spare and zip ties) or a bad regulator (had to use my small jumper cables several times to get one individual to safety).
I do agree that stopping on the side of the interstate to just wait for someone could be very dangerous.
If you must stop for something try to locate the best possible situation.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:39 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by joe.1955
I'll still stop for someone that is broken down when they indicate they need help after I give them a thumbs up.
Agree.
I generally slow down, give them a thumbs up and a shrug, and if they indicate assistance needed, I'll stop.

Quick Reply: Stopping On The Side Of The Road