General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS are we getting stupier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:39 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I disagree. whether or not your bike has abs, your braking technique should be the same. the difference comes in to how you react after your abs has kicked in, which is after you've made your mistake and are no longer 'braking properly'....
Your disagreement does not change physics.

Braking technique is primarily about not locking up one or both wheels, and no level of skill is going to match an ABS for that.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:41 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

BMW had the "ABS for bikes?" question figured out over thirty years ago, and offered it as an option on their first K bikes in 1984. They even brought ABS Demo teams to the BMW rallies to show how well it works. I don't think that the value of ABS on bikes is debatable any more, especially for those who ride in the rain.

Last edited by RK4ME; 02-05-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Stupier? I guess so.
Just spit diet coke on my monitor because I was thinking the same thing.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Squidbilly*
As Im use to the Shovel and it's braking/handling quirks and can anticipate how she's going to react
The improvement you'll experience going to something more recent is mostly do to better inherent braking capability...which is way more important than ABS anyway.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:12 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Squidbilly*
All jokes&the guy don't know how to ride and spellin hoopla aside,
This thread gives me food for thought,
Myself&the Wife are seriously considering getting a new bike this spring that has the ABS and or option
Heritage Classic/Street Glide/Roadking--Ain't decided yet
As Im use to the Shovel and it's braking/handling quirks and can anticipate how she's going to react,
Can't help but have in the back of my head how different the 1 we choose is going to handle as far as cornering/banking/lean&braking in those situations,
I read some of these threads that say Rent it for a day or so to see how its gonna fly,
Good advise& I'll be takin it
You'll like the newer brakes with or without abs.
I don't have a problem with ABS, just makes it more difficult for those who work on their own bikes.The same opinion I have on fuel injection.

My shovel has fancy anti-lock brakes that automatically sense when the road is wet. I can panic stop in a straight line until point of impact.

Last edited by popawcritter; 02-05-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I like to think I know/learn how to properly operate whatever vehicle I am operating at the time, and not rely on the "safety" (sometimes laughably referred to as "convenience" features) available on some vehicles. No-one should rely on lane departure, anti-lock, anti-wheelie, traction control, etc., for normal operation of their vehicle. I don't even use cruise control on long trips - I hate anything that takes control away from me.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,708 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Originally Posted by warprints
I like to think I know/learn how to properly operate whatever vehicle I am operating at the time, and not rely on the "safety" (sometimes laughably referred to as "convenience" features) available on some vehicles. No-one should rely on lane departure, anti-lock, anti-wheelie, traction control, etc., for normal operation of their vehicle. I don't even use cruise control on long trips - I hate anything that takes control away from me.
Sadly, people like us are in the minority. The rest of the world wants self-driving cars, or so it seems. People would rather be trundled around by self driving cars while they text and play video games.

What a world.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,261 Likes on 6,241 Posts

Is Harley still on its first generation of ABS?

Old 02-05-2016, 05:09 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I guess from what I am reading here,your friend needs to take some riding classes and you need to open a dictionary

Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
I guess from what I am reading here,your friend needs to take some riding classes and you need to open a dictionary
Shouldn't you end your sentence with a period before you start schooling others?

BTW, I don't care about anyone's grammar or sentence structure. Just find humor in the spelling police crew.

Last edited by popawcritter; 02-05-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: ABS are we getting stupier?