General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2016 Road Glide/ Skeptical

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Take a step back and carefully review the deal. I hate quick change artist and some dealers think they're smarter than the average bear.

I use to be in car sales and I loved it when someone would come in and tell you they need their monthly pmt had to be xxx number.

I;m not saying they are ripping you off but why complicate things.

Good Luck

TN

Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenn
I use to be in car sales and I loved it when someone would come in and tell you they need their monthly pmt had to be xxx number
Stone cold truth, right there. Guys that negotiate to a monthly payment are pure gold.

OP, it's your business what you do with your money. But I do want to say that the only tangible reason you've given for any of this is the 30k miles you currently have, and IMHO that's just silly.

I don't know the details of this new deal you're talking about, but as a guy who's been in business for 35 years, this has 'hello sucker' written all over it. Obviously you have your suspicions too or you wouldn't have started this thread.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,420 Likes on 2,225 Posts
Default Bingo!

Originally Posted by Prot
It sounds like you don't understand the deal you are about to make. That is a recipe for disaster.

On top of that, I think it is kind of crazy to buy a bike and trade it in only a few weeks later.

Nobody is doing you any favors. If you think they are you better think again.
Yeah that said above,,

Something is awry... I think you need to
A) Walk EVERY step of this deal on invoice
B) CONFIRM what they are giving you in trade value

Something isn't adding up.. Not saying they are trying to get over on you BUT there is rather a misunderstnding

Old 02-29-2016, 09:31 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If the Dealership F&I person worked previously at a car dealership,I would definitely be on guard .

Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Once you realize you're in a hole; stop digging immediately.

I'd back completely out of that "deal" and ride my 2012 until it was paid for. I know these guys around here talk about how good these new Harleys are but it's still the same basic bike. It isn't worth getting drawn and quartered just to have a "new" bike that's gonna be just as used as the one you have now in 6 months or a year.

All that said, it's your money and time you don't have yet that you're trading. It's yours to do with as you wish. Think about this; you can't get guys on this forum to agree the sky is blue in Key West. Almost all of the responses here seem to agree something is amiss. I'd think about that one.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:49 AM
meangreen02
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I look at it a little differently than most that have posted, and yes I have plenty of experience.
They already made a decent profit on the first bike (you didn't list the down payment for the 12 which I assume was significant).
They are simply going to make a lot less on the second but rest assured they are making something or they would not do it.
I have a hard time believing a Harley Dealership is going to promise you a check and then not send it however, I would take the previous advice and tell them you want it the day you make the deal.
I would also post pics of the bike you purchased (12) with a list of all upgrades including motor, that is an astronomical price for a 12 just wondering if there is a reason?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Remove as much risk as you can. Have them give you the $2000 check in hand BEFORE you sign on the dotted line or no deal. They're a dealership...they could afford to advance you the "refund".

Old 02-29-2016, 11:03 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,867 Likes on 6,240 Posts

Sounds like Obamanomics. It's just like Obamacare, mostly just a free prostrate exam, you pay extra for everything else.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Sounds like you put $4500 down to satisfy the lender in good faith money.
Then you get $2000 back after the loan is approved. Similar to taking a title loan.
But you still financed that $2000 so its not a rebate , refund or free money.
What's scary is $2500 disappears in depreciation as soon as you take delivery of your new RG.

Or is the $2500 depreciation of the 2012? Guess it doesn't matter which bike it goes to OP is out $2500

Old 02-29-2016, 09:15 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

On the surface it seems like a very convoluted deal. The best way to make sense of it is to take your bike to at least one other dealer, two would be even better, and see what kind of number you can work out. It will clear things up for you.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2016 Road Glide/ Skeptical