General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatBob or Lowrider

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:36 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by piggy
at 5' 7" go sit on a FAT BOB the forward controls may or may not be comfortable to you, Best to test ride each, then decide/
Originally Posted by Dynamick
The lower seat height, adjustable bars and mid controls on the Low Rider would probably suit you better especially as a new rider.
Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Low Rider, since it has mid forward controls and the seat is adjustable. I would say fatbob but when you compare that to the Low Rider S, you might as well get the Low Rider S
True to all the above. The Fat Bob's forward controls may be a bit of a stretch for your shorter inseam. The LR is a more nimble bike with a noticeably lighter feeling front end. Which gives it the advantage for sport riding thru the canyons.

And like viscarmb says, go for the Low Rider "S" model. Otherwise you'll later with you did! That's their latest & greatest and should keep you happy for years to come. I'm pretty sure that's Harley's best performing bike in today's line up.

BTW, Ironically I test rode 2015 models of Low Rider & Fat Bob on the same day last October. Both great bikes, but my money would definitely be on the Low Rider. If I didn't already have my FXR, I'd have bought that new LR S.

But like so many have said, test ride them both to see what's best for you.

The following users liked this post:
Lucas13 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,403 Likes on 2,959 Posts
Wink Go to it!

lucas13~

How much motorcycling experience do you have? If you're taking a BRT, then I gotta presume not much, but I could be wrong too!

Let's make up 2 scenarios.

Ok, let's take it you have no/very little experience. My advice would be to complete your training before you make you decision. My further advice would be to get a lightweight, easy to ride motorcycle to continue learning on for a year. THEN you can get your "dream" bike, after you gain some practical experience.

Or, you have loads of experience, and figure getting licensed would reduce your chances of a crash on the mean streets. (Which IS true, btw.)

Take (and pass) your class. Get good protective gear (and wear it!) Here's where it get's good~
"Test sitting" on a bike in a showroom is crap. What you need to do is RENT the model bike you are considering. A typical test ride limits you to 10 or so miles. That's no way to properly evaluate the model's you're considering. Rent each model for 24 hours each. Take a couple weekends to do this. Run the crap out of each one. Freeway/2-up/twistys/night time/stop-n-go/cruising the beach. Put 500 or 600 miles on each bike. Really evaluate each bike by taking notes during your rides. There is a very good chance that the dealership you rent their bikes from will discount you the rental fees on your bike purchase. Making the rentals FREE. (I like this part!) Doing this will show the dealer that you're serious about getting a bike and not just a "tire kicker."

Here comes a tagline I've used many times over the years, in class and out on the range~

It's better to make a $300 investment, rather than make an $18,000 mistake.

Are you taking your training at Saddleback College? Been there many times, they have a decent crew. (Sorry, I don't teach there.)

Lucas13 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Lucas13
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
lucas13~

How much motorcycling experience do you have? If you're taking a BRT, then I gotta presume not much, but I could be wrong too!

Let's make up 2 scenarios.

Ok, let's take it you have no/very little experience. My advice would be to complete your training before you make you decision. My further advice would be to get a lightweight, easy to ride motorcycle to continue learning on for a year. THEN you can get your "dream" bike, after you gain some practical experience.

Or, you have loads of experience, and figure getting licensed would reduce your chances of a crash on the mean streets. (Which IS true, btw.)

Take (and pass) your class. Get good protective gear (and wear it!) Here's where it get's good~
"Test sitting" on a bike in a showroom is crap. What you need to do is RENT the model bike you are considering. A typical test ride limits you to 10 or so miles. That's no way to properly evaluate the model's you're considering. Rent each model for 24 hours each. Take a couple weekends to do this. Run the crap out of each one. Freeway/2-up/twistys/night time/stop-n-go/cruising the beach. Put 500 or 600 miles on each bike. Really evaluate each bike by taking notes during your rides. There is a very good chance that the dealership you rent their bikes from will discount you the rental fees on your bike purchase. Making the rentals FREE. (I like this part!) Doing this will show the dealer that you're serious about getting a bike and not just a "tire kicker."

Here comes a tagline I've used many times over the years, in class and out on the range~

It's better to make a $300 investment, rather than make an $18,000 mistake.

Are you taking your training at Saddleback College? Been there many times, they have a decent crew. (Sorry, I don't teach there.)

This is so true in many sense. I have driven motorcycle way-what-10 years ago? And it's only on a 250 cc bikes. Nothing compare to what these bad boys deliver. For now, my best route is, like you've said, tackle them one at a time. Take and pass the course and then, like everyone else's said, take the bike for a ride. Now if ever I decide to pass on these big bikes and start on a lighter ones, can anyone point me to the right direction? a motorcycle I can research on. Thank you again guys.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 PM
lifeisgood9502
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those were the two models I was trying to decide between last time too. Take them both out. They handle completely different. Choose what fits you the best. The biggest piece of advice that I can give you is buy something to protect your skin. At least until you get comfortable riding. Good luck. Be safe out there. Oh, and welcome to the forums.

Lucas13 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:35 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Looks wise, I like the look of the fatbob. I like the fat tires front and rear.

Lucas13 (04-01-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:57 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

I'm 5'6" and 160. I have owned quite a few bikes over the years, most of them mid controls, or "rear-sets". My Softail Deuce has forward controls, and it is not a feature that I have ever enjoyed, or really understood, from a riding standpoint. It sets me up so I am basically in a position to cup as much wind as conceivably possible at speeds above 50. Cupping the wind is not a good thing. I can understand how tall guys like them, or how it's nice to stretch out once in awhile, but forward controls don't work for me.

I think the Low Rider is my favorite HD. It is a very capable all around bike, and newer ones are available with ABS dual disk front brakes. You can ride it anywhere, transform it into anything you want, and have plenty of power with a lighter, lower weight. If you have decided that a HD is going to be your first bike, the Low Rider is a great choice.

If you are interested in considering other brands, I'd suggest you consider BMW, Triumph, and Honda. BMW has been a clear leader in engineering and innovation in the last 35 yrs, and both Triumph and Honda have built fantastic standard and performance bikes for many years. Triumph is about to release a new 1200cc Bonneville, that will include, ABS, traction control, and exceptional performance, at a very decent price. I also own a couple of Honda's, and continue to enjoy every ride. My CB1100 is a fantastic retro bike, with a ride quality and capability equal to BMW, and my CBR650FA rides better than my BMW K75S, at under $8K.

Lots of choices, google is your friend. Good luck, and ride safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoneWoolf:
hd4evr2008 (04-02-2016), Lucas13 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 04:29 AM
Fatlou
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2015 Fatbob is soooo comfortable to ride. The wide front tire makes all the difference in the world. Never have to worry about "snakes" in the road with this bike. I am 5'9" with a 32 inseam...very stable ride. In the end I too would also suggest a demo on both models. Best of luck, safe riding to you..

Lucas13 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:13 AM
Lucas13
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks guys. This thread has been very helpful. I am learning new things. Exciting!!!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You really should look at the Low Rider S too.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,202 Likes on 3,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucas13
I'm not that tall nor big. Weighing in at 170lbs and 5'7, I would like to get an insight on which motorcycle best suits me. I plan to use this bike a lot. From work to a regular town rides to an even longer rides up the canyons. Thanks much for the help.
I am 5'6 and a little heavier and the LR fits me perfectly. The LR is the way to go. Here is a thread on the current gen LR:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...low-rider.html

Quick Reply: FatBob or Lowrider