General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid cooled?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:40 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,406 Likes on 2,960 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I would love to see a thread about the advantages and disadvantages of water cooled versus air cooled. I am not a mechanic myself, and would love to learn from those who know this stuff.
Liquid cooled pros~
1. Significant power increase because heat can be managed more precisely.
2. The liquid Cooling may deaden the mechanical sounds emanating from the engine.
3. Efficiency
4. More precise tuning may be achieved.

Liquid Cooling cons~
1. Complexity
2. Weight
3. Add'l equipment required
4. "New" technology will have it's bugs to be worked out.
5. Failure risk. (Leaks.)
6. The liquid is a poisonous pollutant. (Dogs/cats love it, but a teaspoon is lethal.
I was on a day ride down Pacific Coast Highway last spring and stopped at Starbucks for some java. Started talking to a guy who rode in on a big BMW bike, who actually worked for BMW. He was talking a lot of trash about how water cooled was better, EPA will force everyone to go water cooled, etc. I just listened, not having the expertise to take a position one way or the other. It was interesting, anyway.

Actually, I love my Fat Boy just the way it is.
Don't know if talking about liquid cooling = trash, but oh well. Liquid cooling is definitely on the horizon for most all internal combustion engines. The EPA has mandated it's rules to make all engine's made to such a precise state of tune (for emissions purposes), that liquid cooling is the only way to manage the heat generated.
This is also how fuel injection came to be for the masses. The EPA mandates laws, and leaves private enterprises to come up with ways to comply with these laws. Hopefully, my next Harley will have direct injection...

Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,290 Likes on 1,542 Posts

Originally Posted by e.nigma
The sound Revo makes has nothing to do with water cooling, Water dampens internal engine noise but the big difference in sound is the 60deg V common crankpin configuration. 4 valve heads may make a little difference. The biggest advantage to liquid cooling is controlling heat. Tolerances can be made tighter, compression can be bumped, the engine becomes more efficient, therefore eithermore powerful or more economical to operate. Tighter tolereance can also reduce wear, resulting in a longer service life.
I'm familiar with the porsche based V-Rod engine and how it's different. Water jackets do have impact on engine noise. And all those "high tech" performance gains of the v-rod, do change how it sounds. To me the V-Rod ain't a Harley, even though it wears the badge. It's a fine bike, but so is Katana...just...ain't my thing though. The "classic harley sound" is from old technology, low compression, low revs, heavy parts, loose tolerances. Much like old Farmall tractor engines. And easy to work on, even on the side of the road. Todays fuel injection, performance, emissions, efficiency....all work against the classic Harley sound and made it a thing of the past, found only on old bikes.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Change has its good and bad. I don't think adding a liquid cooled system is such a bad thing. It will certainly have lots of benefits with a few issues depending on design. Before getting into bikes I built cars for fun and a issue with performance is maintaining optimum temperature. Liquid cooling narrows the gap between too hot and too cold so performance along with reliability can be gained. Liquid cooling will happen eventually and it will probably have a few flaws when it comes out but in time either aftermarket fixes or factory fixes will boost its reliability. I am curious what hd has in mind for hiding the radiator or if they will embrace it and let it fly in the open

Old 04-09-2016, 07:16 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
The "classic Harley sound" went away when Twin Cams came, and EFI.
The Evos are the last of the classic Harley sound...the most authentic classic Harley sound was the Shovels.
But FI and twinkies..took that away.
Going with a water jacketed block will further that. Ever notice how "blah" the V-rods sound? Like a Honda.

I would argue that the Knuckles were the most "authentic" sound. I would also argue that the Shovels and Ironheads were the last great sounding Harleys.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Regarding cooler thighs, that was not even part of the conversation prior to the use of catalytic converters.

Softails have the catalytic converters in the mufflers while the rest of the model families have them in the head pipes. Catalytic converters are a major source of heat radiating towards your legs.

Older bikes don't have catalytic converters.

Water cooling allows leaner fuel mixture and less mechanical sound.

The Harley sound is not affected by those two. As has been said, carbureted Evo's were the last to offer a classic Harkey sound and simplicity.

My Evo runs cool, sounds cool, and is cool.
With the converters in the mufflers on Softails a set of slip ons should be enough to cool the engine down then right?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:31 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Slip ons and a retune will cool things down a little. Hot legs on softails also comes from the rear cylinder being so close to your legs along with the pipes

Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

Get used to it. Harley said years ago it was gonna do this. A lot of people are going to be pissed that their bikes will be no different than metrics. but they will be happy the bikes run better. The only down side that they'll have to stop making all the stupid remarks they've made in the past cause everyone will be just alike and now the only thing separating themselves from other makes is the company name a which point won't make a difference . So now all the metric guys will be laughing in your faces and rightfully so cause cause all along they've been riding the better running bike for the past 20 years or so. So how about getting a head start and stfu now and take your heads out of your own asses and act like human beings with respect for other people

Old 04-09-2016, 11:30 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
That "classic" sound hasn't been around since the EFI was put on bikes. I can't see where water would change that, either way.
I agree.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:21 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,294 Likes on 6,251 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Slip ons and a retune will cool things down a little. Hot legs on softails also comes from the rear cylinder being so close to your legs along with the pipes
My legs don't get hot or even remotely warm. Then again, my old Evo runs relatively cool, especially with the EV13 cam.

No, I don't have a crutch cooler, air deflectors, fans, or anything else.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:42 AM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,874 Likes on 7,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
Get used to it. Harley said years ago it was gonna do this. A lot of people are going to be pissed that their bikes will be no different than metrics. but they will be happy the bikes run better. The only down side that they'll have to stop making all the stupid remarks they've made in the past cause everyone will be just alike and now the only thing separating themselves from other makes is the company name a which point won't make a difference . So now all the metric guys will be laughing in your faces and rightfully so cause cause all along they've been riding the better running bike for the past 20 years or so. So how about getting a head start and stfu now and take your heads out of your own asses and act like human beings with respect for other people
Still have an 1100 Shadow that despite being a great running and looking ride I can't seem give away at any price. My older EVO is twice the bike in riding handling power and fuel economy then the Honda is. Liquid cooling is just another headache on an engine of a cruiser style bike.

Quick Reply: Liquid cooled?