General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bob, Rear Fender Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 PM
ejewels
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
It's probably unrideable.

I'd sell the bike if I were you.
maybe I'll just rip the fender off

Old 05-13-2016, 09:10 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Update: I had the dealer look at it. Said they checked the alignment of everything and it was all good. Also told me its more offset when the bike is on the kickstand. Bike rides straight. He told me they looked at other dynas in the shop and many were over to the left. Basically they didn't have a solve for it.

I can either live with it, or what do do? Does anyone know what HD would say about it?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ejewels
...Also told me its more offset when the bike is on the kickstand...
Interesting logic. So if you lean the bike to the right, it's less offset? I guess a good fix would be to go everywhere in a constant right curve and it will be centered. You just have to find the amount of lean that will center it and always maintain that lean.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
...But,you can't borrow a measuring tape?

If it bothers you...

Since you have a laced spoke wheel, get good measurements of what you already have, then take to a "wheel" guy and have him move it over. (Half the difference you measure)

Easy Stuff

Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

I never thought of that... maybe the dish of the wheel is off? It is spokes.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:41 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mdm
Interesting logic. So if you lean the bike to the right, it's less offset? I guess a good fix would be to go everywhere in a constant right curve and it will be centered. You just have to find the amount of lean that will center it and always maintain that lean.
Haha. I think he was trying to say the weight of the engine may bend things over on the side a bit but when upright and riding its fine. Who knows with dealers. They did check the alignment on everything on the rear and it all checked out.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:17 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

So I reached out to another reputable dealer about this. Figured I'd post his response if anyone was curious:

"Thanks for reaching out to ask about your fender. It is common to see that on Dyna’s. There is usually an offset of the tire that is to the left. The entire tire/wheel/pulley/rotor is centered as entire package so the pulley and rotor are in correct position. If you were to try and make the tire perfectly centered it would entail trying to get the pulley spaced further off the wheel and then you would have to try and space the caliper off the frame as the rotor bolts to the wheel directly and there is no way to reduce the space on that side. Unless the wheel was machined."

Old 05-14-2016, 06:31 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by ejewels
So I reached out to another reputable dealer about this. Figured I'd post his response if anyone was curious:

"Thanks for reaching out to ask about your fender. It is common to see that on Dyna’s. There is usually an offset of the tire that is to the left. The entire tire/wheel/pulley/rotor is centered as entire package so the pulley and rotor are in correct position. If you were to try and make the tire perfectly centered it would entail trying to get the pulley spaced further off the wheel and then you would have to try and space the caliper off the frame as the rotor bolts to the wheel directly and there is no way to reduce the space on that side. Unless the wheel was machined."
Unless it's a Laced Spoke Wheel ...then you just "move" it where ever you desire.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Unless it's a Laced Spoke Wheel ...then you just "move" it where ever you desire.
would that throw the alignment off though? Then the tire would not be aligned to the front.

It seems to me that simply bending the fender struts over slightly would center it. But that metal is thick.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 336 Likes on 291 Posts

This alignment issue shown in the photos appears very minor.

Without seeing in person, you may create more work and potential damage trying to center it.

Also seems all Dyna have this issue.

FWIW Unless a couple of minor fender to mounting shims worked to align this, or there is an obvious build issue, I think I'd leave it alone.

Enjoy your bike plus good luck!

Quick Reply: New Bob, Rear Fender Alignment Question