General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 ethanol free vs 91

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

I would run the ethanol free, if it were me. One thing to remember....the posted octane on the pump is the MINIMUM octane rating for that grade of gas. Typically, the actual octane will be a touch above that. The 89 at my station will always test between 90 and 91.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4

All vehicles sold in the US to run on public roads are mandated by the government to be able to run on 87 octane. H-D can only recommend higher octane they can not and do not require the use of higher octane.

Once again ih4x4 posts false and misleading information. Why he does this one can only guess. You cannot believe anything he posts on this forum.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

The following 2 users liked this post by greggreen:
Dynamick (05-25-2016), qtrracer (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 07:24 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
... if your bike does not sit much I would imagine 91 would do you fine.
What does this mean? It makes no sense.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:57 AM
SwarleyManson62
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The question regarding which octane grade is the right one to use is a very close 2nd right behind "What's the best oil to use?". I guess that no one ever reads their Owners Manual any more or they manage to become "Internet blind" and completely forget how to use a search engine once they join a Forum.
Didn't ask for help man, just asked for opinions. I already said what I do...this is a discussion forum...super weird that i'd want to discuss something! But thanks for your input! It was super helpful i'm sure to those that are only just discovering manuals.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

My understanding is that if the spec for the vehicle says Premium Recommended, you can elect to not use it, and the vehicle may compensate for the lower octane.
If the spec says Premium Required, then you should use premium.

The owners manual for my limited says neither- it just lists the octane as 91, but doesn't say if it's required or recommended.

Since it's an extremely small extra cost to buy premium vs regular- maybe a couple bucks a tank, I opt to take the conservative approach and use premium.
I don't care if the gas has ethanol or not, E10 gas has never given me any problems, and I don't notice any difference in performance using non ethanol.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:40 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Central Florida I can fill up with 93 ethanol free.

But to answer your question, if your bike does not sit much I would imagine 91 would do you fine.
Originally Posted by mdm
What does this mean? It makes no sense.
Can't speak for him but I took it to mean 89 ethanol free vs 91 w/ethanol, that was the original quetion by OP. Ethanol gets pretty nasty when it sits.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Can't speak for him but I took it to mean 89 ethanol free vs 91 w/ethanol, that was the original quetion by OP. Ethanol gets pretty nasty when it sits.
OK - The only thing I've got that sits around unused for any considerable length of time is my chain saw and ethanol trashes them pretty quickly. I always use pure gas in it.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The question regarding which octane grade is the right one to use is a very close 2nd right behind "What's the best oil to use?". I guess that no one ever reads their Owners Manual any more or they manage to become "Internet blind" and completely forget how to use a search engine once they join a Forum.
the answer is simple its in your manual one hundred one off situation wont change what the factory recommends

Old 05-24-2016, 03:40 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I use the 93 with 10% ethanol. All stations I have traveled to have it. No problems to date.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:35 PM
grumpy_1944
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

One summer day (105 degrees), My wife 2010sportster ran very low on gas looking for gas way back in the boonies. We finally found an open gas station but all they had was 87 octane w/ ethanol. In desperation, we filled her bike and it ran just fine, even in the heat and mountains. There was no noticeable difference in fuel mileage. We still run 91 in both of our harley's unless it is unavailable.

Of course this is not a long term trial of lower grade gas, just our extremely limited experience. Ethanol free gas is unavailable where we live.

Quick Reply: 89 ethanol free vs 91