General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Sell a "High Milage" Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Wraith04
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll agree with too many low mileage ones on the market and the fact that people have a sentimental attachment and price their bike too high. In my area that's a $5K bike on CL, I'd say take the trade in and make sure you just polish the new one of you are looking for resale value.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:02 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Way too many low mileage bikes out there for you to get your asking price...you may have a hard time beating the dealers offer.
Why buy a bike with 60,000 miles when there are lots of bikes with less than 10,000 miles for sale??? Let me put the miles on the bike. I think the dealer offer isn't too far off. Ron

Old 05-30-2016, 06:21 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Don't you also save some on sales tax between the one you trade and the one you buy?

Old 05-30-2016, 06:22 PM
marioultra
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put on your ad priced to sell , well maintained. Ready to ride, milage, call for more info.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,968 Likes on 17,493 Posts

Take the dealers offer you'll ahead of the game with fewer head and heart aches. Bikes and mileage are like hookers and age, as the later goes up the value goes down.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:50 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Don't you also save some on sales tax between the one you trade and the one you buy?
Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Take the dealers offer you'll ahead of the game with fewer head and heart aches. Bikes and mileage are like hookers and age, as the later goes up the value goes down.
In Texas you only pay the TAX on the difference. Find the bottom line on the deal. Mileage and model are working against you, they weren't strong sellers new and that is more true for used.

How about keeping it as a second bike????

Old 05-30-2016, 06:59 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,970 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I keep my cars and bikes a long time. I would never buy a used car with more then 50,000 miles on it or a used bike with more then 25,000 miles on it. That's just me. I believe in mileage. I believe that all sorts of things go wrong as a result of mileage, and not just the engine.

I agree with the others who said take the dealer's offer. It sounds good. If not, I wouldn't expect you would get more then 5-6 thousand, maybe even a little less.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:00 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Trade it in or price it to sell.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:27 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Put you mileage in the listing and save yourself some calls that are looking for lower mileage bikes, No use in hiding it. I had just over 80,000 on my 4 year old CVO Ultra and my dealer didn't want it which didn't surprise me as he doesn't do too many used bike anyway. Tried a dealer 50 miles away who does do a ton of used bikes and even he didn't want it. I finally got hooked up with Rommel HD while a Ocean City bike week and they did me a ''fair'' deal on another CVO Limited. The mileage cost me 1o,ooo bucks less in trade in value over a 30,000 mile identical CVO. But screw it, I bought it to ride. So ya might have to get rid of it that way but wish ya luck on a private sale

Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Bradbodigon
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would take the dealers offer and not look back. Personally, and no offense to anyone that doesn't, i wouldn't buy a bike that had more than 5 miles on it. Reason being, (especially a younger guy like myself) that I know how much I beat on my bikes. I want to be the one doing the beating and no one else. Now I don't mean beating on it constantly every time I take it out, But I probably get on the throttle harder than most and usually hit 100+ at some point if not multiple times I take the bike out. That's just my 2 cents. I'm not saying you've best on it or neglected it, but I know a lot of guys that do.

Quick Reply: How to Sell a "High Milage" Motorcycle