Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Fork Compression when Strapping it Down. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1120429-fork-compression-when-strapping-it-down.html)

Jumper1 06-08-2016 09:07 PM

Fork Compression when Strapping it Down.

Loaded bike in back of truck tonight. Taking it on vacation while pulling camper. Wondering how much one should compress the forks on a HD Lowrider? Seemed to ride fine for the short distance I tested it.

stro1965 06-08-2016 09:16 PM

I compress them a few inches but nothing crazy, no need to blow a fork seal. I also use 4 straps up front though, and 2 in back.

bad tappets 06-08-2016 09:39 PM

A couple of inches usually works. Use a rear strap just to keep the back end from walking around. When you strap the front down, give the bike a bounce and see if it's stable side to side; if not tighten the straps a bit more. Compress just enough, too much and you can blow seals.

Ron750 06-08-2016 09:59 PM

When I used to transport my Vulcan 750 in my pickup. I just compressed the forks about 3-4 inches, and never had a problem.
Last year my bike wouldn't start, so I called the AMA road service. They sent a guy with a nice rig that pulled the bike up. Then he put some cups on the handlebar ends and started ratcheting . And ratcheting . And ratcheting. And I kept thinking WTF is he doing. But he had just been bragging about how they towed for Harley dealers, and I felt stupid calling him out.

He tows me a half mile to go my Indy, and lets the bike down and my Handlebars are bent down about 6 inches. I complained to the AMA, and the tow company paid for the $135 repair. Next time I will speak my mind.

SamStone 06-08-2016 10:06 PM

Not at all. I strap my road king where the front fender bolts to the fork and strap rear tire from jumping from side to side.

TwiZted Biker 06-08-2016 10:22 PM

Compress it enough the front end can't bounce but don't bottom it out, too loose and the bouncing will work the straps loose over time.

Hocus-Pocus 06-08-2016 10:28 PM

Make sure that the front wheel can't move side to side and, the straps won't come loose from the bars. A couple inches should be enough.

_Gir_ 06-09-2016 12:22 AM

If you find yourself doing this a lot consider a wheel chock. It helps eliminate all doubt.

Esp from these guys--Condor

Kayakguy 06-09-2016 09:49 AM

I am going to be original here and say...a couple inches.

qtrracer 06-09-2016 11:14 AM

I've hauled bikes thousands upon thousands of miles tied down in the back of a pickup since 75. Cranked 'em down so they won't fall over and have never, repeat NEVER, blown a fork seal. To those that think tying a bike down with the forks compressed more than 2" will blow a seal, I guess bottoming out on a ride would blow the seals then, huh?