General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Invasion of the Gold Wings - Thousands!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Bluerose
Default RE: Invasion of the Gold Wings - Thousands!

Hubby was looking at the Gold Wings over the weekend. I can see the spark in his eye. He's a Wing man....I'm a Harley girl. works for me. Them things have built in navigation and way too many buttons!

When we got home he stressed the fact that mostly couples where on them...I think he wants me to ride with him a bit more often

Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 AM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never realized just how big Goldwings are until this weekend, but they are rather large bikes...especially that 5ft long windshield!!!! [sm=jawdrop.gif]I rode up into a gas station where there were about 20 of them....I sure did get a lot of dirty looks. [&:] Guess the "free to ride what you want" attitude doesn't suit them very well. But I was very polite, kept my mouth shut, and left them some rubber on the parking lot when I left so they could follow me out!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

I think he wants me to ride with him a bit more often
Can you blame him

He'll be very happy with Wing, ifit's what he really wantsRose. A ton of power, great ride and excellent resale. I can appreciate both views, I've had people come into the store, go right to the Goldwings and buy it on the spot, because to them it's the ultimate touring bike. But I have others that come in, go right to the Ultra Classic and feel the same way.............and they're both right.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Sam

I think he wants me to ride with him a bit more often
Can you blame him

He'll be very happy with Wing, ifit's what he really wantsRose. A ton of power, great ride and excellent resale. I can appreciate both views, I've had people come into the store, go right to the Goldwings and buy it on the spot, because to them it's the ultimate touring bike. But I have others that come in, go right to the Ultra Classic and feel the same way.............and they're both right.
Funny I let him drive the car all the time. He hates me driving long distances, not because I drive badly, just thinks it is his job I'm spoiled in that way...had to drive out to my moms (150 miles) by myself....I hated it. Of course riding out there by myself is a different story.

I've climbed on the back of theVTX a couple of times. Didn't like the ride, but then that is NOT a Gold Wing.Maybe It'll be comfy enough to change my mind once he gets one.

I'll probably get a touring bike too at some point. I've been considering. Gonna rent a wing and an Ultra and do some test riding.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an '84 Aspencade, which I sold to my father earlier this year, and used $$$ for down payment on my Fat Boy. Had he backed out, my wife & I had decided to keep it. Even at 23 years of age, she was a sweet old girl to ride. She was pretty much stock, with the exception of an aftermarket CB & cruise control system. Mainly sold it because I was bored with it, and swinging across it was a bit of a challenge since my back surgery a couple of years ago. I've never had a chance to try out the 1500 version, but have had a spin on an 1800, and they are an incredible machine! If there is such a thing as a "touring sport" (vs. sport tourer), the 1800 'Wing is it. I have to admit though, I never felt about my 'Wing the way I feel about my Fat Boy. Sure is great to see the old man riding it. He's likea kid in a candy store, after a 45 year brake from riding. Even the '84 is a slight improvement in technology over the '56 650 BSA he used to ride.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Finalcut
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet the local donut & coffee shops will be happy

Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 AM
GaryWayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to say this is one of the better post I've read here. As a former Goldwing rider (now ST1300) this post caught my attention. No bashing going on...wish this would happem more on all boards (Honda boards are pretty brutal sometimes on Harleys and I don't understand why). The Wing is a great bike but its not for everyone and thats fine and yes it is fun to make fun of them sometimes (I always refered to mine as The Mother Ship). Anyway...good post.

Gary

Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hubby was looking at the Gold Wings over the weekend. I can see the spark in his eye. He's a Wing man....I'm a Harley girl. works for me. Them things have built in navigation and way too many buttons!

When we got home he stressed the fact that mostly couples where on them...I think he wants me to ride with him a bit more often
The 1800 Wing is quite a machine, but it has had some problems that your husband needs to be aware of, not the least of which is some cracked frames. Honda went to a welded aluminum frame for the 1800 and there were several recalls to have some of the welds redone by the dealers. Unfortunately, Honda's marketing has made some, to me, bad decisions and is now packaging options much like a car. For example, if you want ABS you have to also take their "comfort" package and some other things that you may or may not want. I'd stay away from their on board navigation system if possible since it's fairly old technology (several generations behind what's on the market today) and there is no way to upgrade the firmware or software, nor can you integrate it with your computer for planning routes, etc.

But all that aside, it's a heck of a performer and I've got a lot of riding friends that have them and love them. There are a number of forums that he might check out to get more input if he's interested. There's the 1800 board, but it is so biased that he "may" or "may not" get good feedback to his questions. There's also a group called "Wings On The Internet" that is in my mind the most unbiased and where he'll get good input to questions he may have. I guess the important thing is that he winds up on something he really will be happy with and enjoy so the two of you can hit the road and enjoy the wind.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're right about the windhsield, itis HUGE. But I'venever seen a Goldwing rider with an attidude. They seem to like to talkto everyone on any bike and they sure like to wave!

ORIGINAL: TXjammer

I never realized just how big Goldwings are until this weekend, but they are rather large bikes...especially that 5ft long windshield!!!! [sm=jawdrop.gif]I rode up into a gas station where there were about 20 of them....I sure did get a lot of dirty looks. [&:] Guess the "free to ride what you want" attitude doesn't suit them very well. But I was very polite, kept my mouth shut, and left them some rubber on the parking lot when I left so they could follow me out!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 01:11 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GaryWayne

(Honda boards are pretty brutal sometimes on Harleys and I don't understand why).
Gary
That's funny but true.. I'm not sure why but very rarely will I get anything but a dirty look from a Goldwing rider if I pull up next to one at a light.

Oh well, still hope they have a blast... I know I would.

Quick Reply: Invasion of the Gold Wings - Thousands!