General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trail of Tears

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Rogillio
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trail of Tears

For as long as I can remember the Trail of Tears Motorcycle Ride passed within a 1/4 mile of our house. When our kids were younger we'd take lawn chairs and set up by the highway and watch the ride for a couple of hours waving at all the bikers. I had dirt bikes as a kid and a Honda 800 in college but when the kids came along, I sold the bike and quit riding. Kids are now grown and I recently bought a 2013 HD Super Glide and am loving riding again! OK, enough history.

I am planning on riding some or all of the Trail of Tears motorcycle ride this year but have never ridden with other motorcycles. What do I need to know aboutriding in a group? Are there protocols when passing or being passed? I'm not a very skilled rider and sure don’t want to be the cause of an accident. My thinking is to get in the right hand lane on the right side of the lane and try to maintain a speed of 60 mph.

I live about in the middle of the course and plan to ride at least half the ride. Maybe drive up the night before and ride back to my house or pick up the ride as it passes my house and ride to the end, spend the night and ride home the following day. Not sure what kind of pre and post parties they have or which would be better? I'm not really in shape enough to ride the entire course as that would also entail riding to the start the day before or riding home from the end the day after.

Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Last edited by Rogillio; 08-09-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:51 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

You don't "pass", and you shouldn't get passed.
That's the protocol.
Your right about your position, right lane/right side is best for new riders, but you should follow the pack speed or at least the group your with,, maintain a safe distance (don't worry-you'll see this) from others.
Don't blind spot other riders, your mirrors while riding in a group, should be tipped out just a little more then normal,, you should be able to look at the mirror of the rider in front of you and see his face,, if you can see his face-he will see you.
If your uncomfortable in the group, just signal for a right turn and bail out. Then pick up the rear and follow to the next destination

The following users liked this post:
Rogillio (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,244 Likes on 5,643 Posts

My advice- don't go on the group ride. Wait until next year after you have some experience. Group rides are dangerous even for experienced riders and you have already self identified at least 2 reasons why you should sit this one out. You said you're not skilled and not in good shape. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:03 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts

The actual ToT "Ride" has degraded downward so that few people are actually making the run from Chattanooga or Bridgeport over to Waterloo in the official pack. At least not in 80,000-100,000 numbers like in the old days. Most people now just get up and ride straight over to Waterloo to enjoy the festivities. That's what I would recommend. Then you can go at your own pace.

Last year when the riders showed up, there were already 10 times the number in the ride standing along side the road watching them come in LOL. As soon as they get in, we split out the back way via 2nd Creek Road to avoid the gridlock.

Anyway, enjoy it, it's fun to be in a crowd of tens of thousands of bikes - the sound is soothing to the soul.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:32 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

Do everyone a favor, especially yourself, and get some more experience before riding in a large group. Heck, there was a guy killed on the Run to the Wall this year. (Of course I am assuming experienced riders on that, too.)

I stopped riding on HOG group rides because of the people who were not comfortable on their bikes. They were out there getting experience, but I just didn't feel safe with some of these folks. Maybe you could get involved in a club like HOG and get comfortable in a group.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

If you want to do this ride, you should do it. Don't worry or stress about so-called protocols and what ever. It's a staggered formation and it's pretty slow and boring. Just stay in your lane, watch what is going on in front of you and remember that what you do affects the people behind you. Stay focused, keep your attention on the ride itself, and don't get distracted by the spectators (you know, the people setting on the side of the road waving and all that good stuff...). Enjoy the ride!

The following users liked this post:
Rogillio (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Rogillio
Cruiser

I took the Ride Like a Pro riding class a couple of months ago and feel much more comfortable now at low speed maneuvers. I will continue to ride and practice. If I feel like I am a danger to myself or those around me I would simply pull off the road and stop let the pack pass.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,197 Likes on 1,272 Posts

DON"T RIDE THE TRAIL OF TEARS!

Biggest collection of people who don't know or care what they're doing. Lots of people buy a bike for the first time the week before then take off. It's a great day to get killed by another biker. I live in Decatur.

Carl

Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogillio
...If I feel like I am a danger to myself or those around me I would simply pull off the road and stop let the pack pass...
The pack has been known to stretch for over 40 miles with most riding each others bumpers and everyone all puckered up. That would be a suicide move at any place other than a big intersection with a turn lane.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Rogillio
Cruiser

Originally Posted by panheadache
The pack has been known to stretch for over 40 miles with most riding each others bumpers and everyone all puckered up. That would be a suicide move at any place other than a big intersection with a turn lane.
I don't understand this. If I am in the right hand lane and want to drop out, I'd just wait for the first turning lane and pull over.....wait for a hour or so and fall back in at the rear of the formation.

Come to think of it, I may just wait till the very end of the pack to get into formation at the start of ride.

Quick Reply: Trail of Tears