General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OCMD Bike Week

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,382 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Lot's of people running past my place today. Rain was very heavy, and if my rain barrel/gauge is accurate, we got about 4 inches between 7am and 2pm.
One of the great things about living on one of the main routes to the rally is getting to see every one going by. Really sounded good around here on Thursday and Friday morning. Sunday was one constant roar.

The following users liked this post:
Retirementtoy (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
Here's the first map.

Take the coastal highway North through Ocean City. As soon as you cross the state line, take Delaware 54 West. Follow it Through Selbyville and across US Rt 113. Stay on Rt 54 through the most Northern cypress forest in the country. This part is a nice twisty relaxed stretch. Be careful coming out of the forest on the West side. The road splits and you want to take the, (surprisingly), hard left. Follow Rt 54 into the small village of Gumboro. Make a left at the stop sign and follow Rt 54 about 5 miles to a flashing caution light. You will again be at the Md./De. state line. Follow Rt 54 West to Delmar and US Rt 13. From there you can ride North to the Harley dealership or South to Rt 50 and the festivities at Purdue stadium. Zoom in on Ocean City to see the area described above.

https://www.mapquest.com/

I wanted to thank you for this suggestion. We did this ride Saturday. We stopped at a place called Doyle's for breakfast, if I remember correctly it was just south of Rt. 54 on 113 (??). From there we resumed the course through the forest. What a great ride!, and for having 150K bikes in the area, we had the damn road to ourselves!

When we hit 13 we went up to HD in Seaford, then down to Winter Place Park in Salisbury.

Leaving the Park in Salisbury we stayed on Old Ocean City Rd. Everyone turned off to go to 50 but we stayed on all the way past Oasis (that place was jammed...we weren't going there anyway), then caught a road back up to Selbyville, then 54 back into OC.

Great suggestion pbsdaddy, thank you. It started a great 120 mile round trip for us, and probably 75% of it we were all alone.

Friday we went up to Henlopen Park, and when we saw the $10 per person entry fee, we turned around. We wanted to see the beach exhibits, but not at $20.

We never did get down to the Bay Bridge tunnel (sorry YB), there was just too much to do. STYX was great (and on my bucket list) and even though I had seen KIX before, they blew the roof off the place.

Next year I'm going back to what I normally do, just walk the parking lots and look at bikes.

Saw a few idiots but nothing bad. Did see a few emergency vehicles heading to or from incidents, but didn't hear how bad. For the most part, I'd rather be in a sea of bikes than normal driving, "bikers" just seem work well with each other in situations like that.

I will say that I feared ear damage from a couple of bikes there. How they get bikes that loud I'll never know (and never want too...seriously thought I lost my right ear drum to one).

Last edited by Raineman; 09-20-2016 at 09:35 AM.
09 YELLOWBIRD (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Raineman
We are in for Slaughter and Kix Thursday night and Styx on Friday.
Concerts were great this year. Was able to see Kashmir, Autograph, Slaughter, KIX, Candlebox, Styx and a number of local and tribute bands. Didn't even bother to try to get down to the Inlet (I figured parking would be difficult to find) for Pop Evil and 3 Doors Down, due to the huge crowds. Was right up on the stage for Candlebox and Styx.
A trip to Ocean City, Maryland isn't complete unless you take a motorcycle ride to Assateague Island to see the wild horses. It was a hot day and these horses were thirsty. I personally saw this horse turn on the water spigot so he and his buddies could take a drink of water.

Attached Thumbnails OCMD Bike Week-candlebox.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-styx1.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-styx2.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-styx3.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-horses1.jpg  

OCMD Bike Week-horses2.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-horses3.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:54 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raineman
I wanted to thank you for this suggestion. We did this ride Saturday. We stopped at a place called Doyle's for breakfast, if I remember correctly it was just south of Rt. 54 on 113 (??). From there we resumed the course through the forest. What a great ride!, and for having 150K bikes in the area, we had the damn road to ourselves!

When we hit 13 we went up to HD in Seaford, then down to Winter Place Park in Salisbury.

Leaving the Park in Salisbury we stayed on Old Ocean City Rd. Everyone turned off to go to 50 but we stayed on all the way past Oasis (that place was jammed...we weren't going there anyway), then caught a road back up to Selbyville, then 54 back into OC.

Great suggestion pbsdaddy, thank you. It started a great 120 mile round trip for us, and probably 75% of it we were all alone.

Friday we went up to Henlopen Park, and when we saw the $10 per person entry fee, we turned around. We wanted to see the beach exhibits, but not at $20.

We never did get down to the Bay Bridge tunnel (sorry YB), there was just too much to do. STYX was great (and on my bucket list) and even though I had seen KIX before, they blew the roof off the place.

Next year I'm going back to what I normally do, just walk the parking lots and look at bikes.

Saw a few idiots but nothing bad. Did see a few emergency vehicles heading to or from incidents, but didn't hear how bad. For the most part, I'd rather be in a sea of bikes than normal driving, "bikers" just seem work well with each other in situations like that.

I will say that I feared ear damage from a couple of bikes there. How they get bikes that loud I'll never know (and never want too...seriously thought I lost my right ear drum to one).

You are welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. Those roads aren't used very often. Mostly by folks going to and from home. Or, like me, who find it a great diversion from a normal work day.
Yeah, the price to get into the park is a bit crazy. In another week or two, it'll be free until April. Now, think about that for a couple minutes and then let me know if it makes any sense.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:49 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes PBSdaddy, I also thank you for posting ride routes....Did the Air museum ride and had a blast going up to, the tour, and actually a Air Force retirement ceremony. I'm retired Army and it was cool seeing that again. Asked the locals for some lunch ideas, we headed to Bridgeville, DE. to Jeff's tap house....Wow. great bronto burgers....brisket,beef ribs, and Angus beef into one unbelievable, delicious burger..Had to split it with the bride...awesome..Anyway, the whole OCBW was phenomenal.

Attached Thumbnails OCMD Bike Week-img_20160916_1119473_rewind.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-img_20160916_1139039_rewind.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-img_20160916_1119346_rewind.jpg   OCMD Bike Week-img_20160916_1123197_rewind.jpg  

Last edited by duglaura&flhti; 09-22-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 AM
jerryinpa
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just found this thread.AFTER returning from my first OCBW.(day late dollar short).Had a blast,already booked for next year.The crew i was with were hanging at Pickels.(right near where we stayed).Subbed to this thread for a meet up next year.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by duglaura&flhti
Yes PBSdaddy, I also thank you for posting ride routes....Did the Air museum ride and had a blast going up to, the tour, and actually a Air Force retirement ceremony. I'm retired Army and it was cool seeing that again. Asked the locals for some lunch ideas, we headed to Brooksville, DE. to Jeff's tap house....Wow. great bronto burgers....brisket,beef ribs, and Angus beef into one unbelievable, delicious burger..Had to split it with the bride...awesome..Anyway, the whole OCBW was phenomenal.
I'm glad you enjoyed the tour. The people at the museum are exceptional. The restoration work and displays are like what one might expect to find at a major city museum.
The ride from OC to Dover is, with the exception of the traffic in the Rehoboth area, very scenic and interesting. I always enjoy the ride along the beaches.
Jeff's, Bridgeville, De, has established a real name for themselves with their burgers. A small place with a very large and well deserved reputation.
Next year, I will try to remember to include some ideas for great eats outside the OC area. Places worth riding to.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:03 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Woody's in Dewey Beach was recommended by co-worker....Best crab cakes and Wings...Bold statement, but true....across from Starboard bar and grill.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 941 Posts

Ok let's get this thread alive again...as we are 5 weeks away from Bike week!!

Old 08-08-2017, 02:14 PM
DOCGSS
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Already have my hotel res

Scudda (08-08-2017)

Quick Reply: OCMD Bike Week