Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   When Are The 2018 Models Being Announced? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1133233-when-are-the-2018-models-being-announced.html)

Next In Line 08-24-2016 07:00 AM

When Are The 2018 Models Being Announced?

Since the 2017 models are such a disappointment, when is the 2018 models going to be announced?

Prot 08-24-2016 08:09 AM

As soon as HTC starts putting valves and spark plugs in their phones.

Bone Doc 08-24-2016 08:22 AM

Also, does anyone know what the 2018 colors will be? I hope Harley keeps Vivid black.

squirrelsnest 08-24-2016 08:24 AM

I can't wait for the Milwaukee 16!

ChickinOnaChain 08-24-2016 08:37 AM

Two years before the 2020 models.

hardheaded 08-24-2016 10:41 AM

i heard the 18 models will have the 124 engine in them, along with a seven speed overdrive trans. three sparkplugs per cylinder and six valves per head. 200mm rear tire along with over the top radio. i don't think you even have to touch the handlebars anylonger, just like the tesla.

Uncle G. 08-24-2016 10:52 AM

They'll be announced 24 years after the 1994 models were announced.

Krustee 08-24-2016 12:51 PM

Saw a 2116 model on another thread. They haven't changed much in another hundred years so I wouldn't expect any surprises.

Dan

Kayakguy 08-24-2016 02:45 PM

Such a disappointment?!? An eight valve single cam engine which promises to be a pretty big step ahead is a disappointment?

What exactly do you guys want from Harley? Seriously, what would you actually have wanted to see in the 2017 lineup?

Me personally, I would love to see Harley come out with new bike designs that step out of their current customer base's comfort zone. But as that would be a financial failure and they are only going to build cruisers I cant really see any holes in the lineup.

SD lumpy 08-24-2016 03:25 PM

They damn sure don't need 5 or 6 different dirt bikes

Curt5811 08-24-2016 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kayakguy (Post 15445389)
Such a disappointment?!? An eight valve single cam engine which promises to be a pretty big step ahead is a disappointment?

I saw the M-8's valve train arrangement. Looks like another finger was added to the rocker arm to actuate the new valve. Did they find a way to keep the rocker shaft locked in place, so as to get rid of that annoying valve train clatter? That whole system needed a redesign. Why didnt they?

I'm not trying to bash, just asking questions. The Moco is well aware of the TC88's design shortcomings. Why not take the opportunity to redesign them out of a new engine?

What exactly do you guys want from Harley? Seriously, what would you actually have wanted to see in the 2017 lineup?
1. Seriously... an engine and an exhaust system that won't cook my legs and ankles. Water cool the damn things already. The geezers among us who swore they'd only buy air cooled engines, that water cooled engines aren't "real" Harleys, are now buying Rushmore wethead bikes. Apparently, they're getting over it.

2. Seriously... I want a front and rear suspension system that befits a $28K-40K touring bike. If I drop that kind of bucks on a bike they claim is the finest touring motorcycle money can buy, the very "pinnacle" of performance and comfort, I should not have to buy a set of aftermarket shocks to make it ride the way it's supposed to.

Me personally, I would love to see Harley come out with new bike designs that step out of their current customer base's comfort zone. But as that would be a financial failure and they are only going to build cruisers I cant really see any holes in the lineup.
We, as Harley customers need to stop telling ourselves that. We have to stop telling the Moco we're only gonna buy out-dated designs. They're taking small steps with the 'Street' line and with Live Wire. They need to do more stepping out of the 50's and stop being so tentative. Some things will fail to sell, but others *will* sell. The product line will improve from both failures AND successes.

They also need to step up their game with quality control. First place they should look? Chrome plating. This is a company that touts chrome accessories. ANY Harley Davidson-made chrome part that peels should be replaced free of charge. Their chrome plating should be the very best there is.

randyp 08-24-2016 07:16 PM

I know this is a joke thread, but that revzilla article that spilled the beans on the 107 also mentioned a new frame for dynas and touring (converging common frame) for 2018

Next In Line 08-24-2016 07:18 PM

Not a joke.

The disappoint is real.

JMC22 08-24-2016 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Next In Line (Post 15445991)
Not a joke.

The disappoint is real.

What changes were you hoping for??

randyp 08-24-2016 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Curt5811 (Post 15445505)
I saw the M-8's valve train arrangement. Looks like another finger was added to the rocker arm to actuate the new valve. Did they find a way to keep the rocker shaft locked in place, so as to get rid of that annoying valve train clatter? That whole system needed a redesign. Why didnt they?

I'm not trying to bash, just asking questions. The Moco is well aware of the TC88's design shortcomings. Why not take the opportunity to redesign them out of a new engine?

1. Seriously... an engine and an exhaust system that won't cook my legs and ankles. Water cool the damn things already. The geezers among us who swore they'd only buy air cooled engines, that water cooled engines aren't "real" Harleys, are now buying Rushmore wethead bikes. Apparently, they're getting over it.

2. Seriously... I want a front and rear suspension system that befits a $28K-40K touring bike. If I drop that kind of bucks on a bike they claim is the finest touring motorcycle money can buy, the very "pinnacle" of performance and comfort, I should not have to buy a set of aftermarket shocks to make it ride the way it's supposed to.

We, as Harley customers need to stop telling ourselves that. We have to stop telling the Moco we're only gonna buy out-dated designs. They're taking small steps with the 'Street' line and with Live Wire. They need to do more stepping out of the 50's and stop being so tentative. Some things will fail to sell, but others *will* sell. The product line will improve from both failures AND successes.

They also need to step up their game with quality control. First place they should look? Chrome plating. This is a company that touts chrome accessories. ANY Harley Davidson-made chrome part that peels should be replaced free of charge. Their chrome plating should be the very best there is.

not sure if you read cycleworld's review. Clatter and mechanical noise is way down and heat is way down.

And the front suspension has very modern components. There's nothing outdated about the new engine or suspension.

The only problem I see with the new bikes is they didn't get the weight down. Hopefully the new frame will address that.

todd493 08-25-2016 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JMC22 (Post 15446002)

Waterproof switch gear would be nice. A couple rain showers on a 200 mile road trip took out my left switch pack. If not for warranty I'd be out $300. Didn't realize I bought an indoor only bike.

A bagger with a V-rod motor and drivetrain is way overdue, as well.

Prot 08-25-2016 01:30 AM

Lots of bashing by folks that are too lazy to read.

The engine is redesigned. Valve train and other mechanical noises were specifically targeted for noise reduction. Pushrod arrangement is different and was not simply add another fork.

Combustion chamber is designed so less heat is transferred to the heads.

The list goes on and on, and that is not even counting other improvements such as the suspension.

Another thread complains that too much vibration was taken away, when they haven't actually rode the damn bikes.

This ongoing call for a VROD powered touring bike is ludicrous because it is mostly by people that haven't actually ridden one. I can tell you that a VROD lacks low rpm torque, is OK on mid rpm, and has a lot of power in the upper rpm range that is far past the redline of twin cam or Evo. In other words, not a good engine for a heavy touring bike that will likely be ridden by a fat ass.

I guess that is a cool thing to do now, is sit around and invent shit to whine about, without actually trying the product they are whining about. Oh it runs too smooth. Ohhh it runs too rough. Well which is it?

FNGonaRK 08-25-2016 03:15 AM

Suspension. Anyone that says they fixed it, has had Ohlins. They are using the S and CVO rear suspension from the Rushmores and it sucks. If the front is better, great. The rear isn't.

Next In Line 08-25-2016 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JMC22 (Post 15446002)

FXR & Buell.

Ikelove 08-25-2016 06:04 PM

Looking forward to the 2018s. Want to see a Low Rider CVO.

HD_fan 08-25-2016 07:19 PM

Lots of bashing by folks that are too lazy to read.

The engine is redesigned. Valve train and other mechanical noises were specifically targeted for noise reduction. Pushrod arrangement is different and was not simply add another fork.

Combustion chamber is designed so less heat is transferred to the heads.

The list goes on and on, and that is not even counting other improvements such as the suspension.

Another thread complains that too much vibration was taken away, when they haven't actually rode the damn bikes.

This ongoing call for a VROD powered touring bike is ludicrous because it is mostly by people that haven't actually ridden one. I can tell you that a VROD lacks low rpm torque, is OK on mid rpm, and has a lot of power in the upper rpm range that is far past the redline of twin cam or Evo. In other words, not a good engine for a heavy touring bike that will likely be ridden by a fat ass.

I guess that is a cool thing to do now, is sit around and invent shit to whine about, without actually trying the product they are whining about. Oh it runs too smooth. Ohhh it runs too rough. Well which is it?
Well put! I would also like to add that some riders could possibly be putting down the new stuff because one way or another the can't get the bike. To broke or wife wears the pants come to mind.

94 ultra 08-25-2016 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bone Doc (Post 15444128)
Also, does anyone know what the 2018 colors will be? I hope Harley keeps Vivid black.

me too
with no Striping

"This ongoing call for a VROD powered touring bike is ludicrous because it is mostly by people that haven't actually ridden one. I can tell you that a VROD lacks low rpm torque, is OK on mid rpm, and has a lot of power in the upper rpm range that is far past the redline of twin cam or Evo. In other words, not a good engine for a heavy touring bike that will likely be ridden by a fat ass..."

So Now we are fat asses....yep its true i concur..you got me

jrporter 08-28-2016 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Next In Line (Post 15443870)
Since the 2017 models are such a disappointment, when is the 2018 models going to be announced?

I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that it will be a year from now...

TwiZted Biker 08-28-2016 04:07 PM

Ya'll whining about VRods are SOL by the end of 2017 anyway, mothership is stopping production in October 2017.

6 gun 08-29-2016 07:37 AM

With all the EPA crap going on, who cares?

Wizardofaus 06-18-2017 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by HD_fan (Post 15449682)
Well put! I would also like to add that some riders could possibly be putting down the new stuff because one way or another the can't get the bike. To broke or wife wears the pants come to mind.

Wow you must be the richest guy on this forum or sleep alone at night.

You funny man
Wiz

Prot 06-18-2017 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Wow you must be the richest guy on this forum or sleep alone at night.

You funny man
Wiz

Nice thread revival....

hd4evr2008 06-19-2017 08:12 AM

Screw all these new bikes with GPS this, computer controlled that, adjustable thingamabob over there, etc..........Bring back the essence of motorcycling.............bring back the Super Glide Custom!!!

Ikelove 06-19-2017 12:06 PM

Still no real solid info on the 2018 models.

RandyL 06-19-2017 12:17 PM

dealer meeting will be in August

Campy Roadie 06-19-2017 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by randyp (Post 15445982)
I know this is a joke thread, but that revzilla article that spilled the beans on the 107 also mentioned a new frame for dynas and touring (converging common frame) for 2018

Link please if you have it.

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008 (Post 16351525)
Screw all these new bikes with GPS this, computer controlled that, adjustable thingamabob over there, etc..........Bring back the essence of motorcycling.............bring back the Super Glide SPORT!!!

Fixed it fer ya;)

uncle kebo 06-19-2017 01:21 PM

Well

Originally Posted by Next In Line (Post 15443870)

Why are the 17s a disappointment?

Tommy C 06-19-2017 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by uncle kebo (Post 16352462)
Why are the 17s a disappointment?

No 575lb big twin in the lineup. Bring back the FXR!

drspencer 06-30-2017 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ikelove (Post 16352236)
Still no real solid info on the 2018 models.

Don't the 2018 models get announced sometime in mid July?

Thanks

Prot 06-30-2017 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by drspencer
Don't the 2018 models get announced sometime in mid July?

Thanks

Nope........

drspencer 06-30-2017 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prot (Post 16387890)
Nope........

Any idea when they typically get announced?
Thanks

ChrisHo 06-30-2017 05:40 AM

Having only recently moved to Harley Davidson bikes I can suggest three areas for improvement.

1. Weight, 800lbs is silly, if not embarrassing and I only have a Road King!
2. Heat, this M8 is as hot as the 103 I had for a few months
3. Wind management, for all this touting as touring bikes wind management sure sucked

uklauren 06-30-2017 07:43 AM

Dealer meeting is always at the end of August, some dealerships will start getting the new models the very next day, others have to wait a few days, typically most dealers have some new models by August 30th. They will not get the whole range till early to mid September.

pardus 06-30-2017 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisHo (Post 16388019)
Having only recently moved to Harley Davidson bikes I can suggest three areas for improvement.

3. Wind management, for all this touting as touring bikes wind management sure sucked

If you wanted wind management, why did you buy a Road King? Every other touring model has a fairing with a windshield and some with lowers. Even HD calls it a freight train going down the highway, weight reduction is a negative on that bike... weight is touring stability. And for the engine, you know its a 107ci air cooled engine that is inches away from your legs and you live in the south... you thought that was going to not be hot?

Actually, why did you even buy a harley? If you wanted all those things, probably should of gone with another brand or at least another model.

My local dealer in Vancouver, BC said the 3rd week of August they will come in.

not a sock 06-30-2017 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisHo (Post 16388019)

1. weight: if you weigh 200lbs, that comes to 1000lbs
put an air compressor in one saddlebag, tool kit, tie downs;
any thing else you can think of if it is more weight you want....
2. heat: you can buy more restrictive mufflers to get the heat up to the
level you seek. Could also de-tune to make the engine run more
lean thereby generating more heat..........
3. wind: pull off windshield and install scoops to direct airflow on you.

These upgrades should solve your problems.............:icon_laugh: