General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
That's the winner right there. I've walked out on dealers a few times. I usually get a call back meeting my last offer. And if I don't, nothing lost but some time.
Indeed. And I would imagine region must come into play at times just based on what I read around here sometimes. I'm in the Midwest and was talking to a friend/acquaintance at a dealer I like. We talked about he '16s and '17s and deals. He's one of the managers and in a nutshell his words to me were, (regarding the new bikes and motors){ it's not revolutionary. if it was we'd have preorders already lined up for every bike coming in and every 17 would be selling at sticker and up.} We didn't talk about what the actual deals on the 17s were...
I agree with the be ready and willing to leave. If a deal is to be had they'll call you back. If not, then you saved some money.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:31 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I normally figure take off 2000-2500 from their price of msrp plus freight then add tax

Old 09-01-2016, 10:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by jbfb
Indeed. And I would imagine region must come into play at times just based on what I read around here sometimes. I'm in the Midwest and was talking to a friend/acquaintance at a dealer I like. We talked about he '16s and '17s and deals. He's one of the managers and in a nutshell his words to me were, (regarding the new bikes and motors){ it's not revolutionary. if it was we'd have preorders already lined up for every bike coming in and every 17 would be selling at sticker and up.} We didn't talk about what the actual deals on the 17s were...
I agree with the be ready and willing to leave. If a deal is to be had they'll call you back. If not, then you saved some money.
There's 7 dealers within 60 miles of me , choices I have along with working feet

Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I have a strong dislike for the car buying process and somewhat less for bike. If I was in your shoes looking for a desire.able 2017 model either with financing or without, I would see if any of your dealers had what you were looking for on the floor and simply make a fair and reasonable cash offer. When I've done this in the past (for cars, I've never done a cash offer for a bike), I've generally offered around $1200 Below MSRP out the door. This has been on cars in the $22k range. No quibbling no shitty business, simply an honest conversation in an effort to get the job done.

My understanding is that it helps dealers at times when financing is involved, I don't know if that is true or not. But if it were, and if you have good credit and based on some of the offers I've seen (not sure if they're on 2017 models or not), I could see myself offering small amount down and maybe MSRP for out the door pricing and around 2-3% just to get a reasonable monthly price vs. out the full Monty. I figure even if in high demand right now, there will be more on the floor in 4 months.

Just my .02, based on anew '17. I know that there are many who take the whole negotiating thing more seriously than me, but I like to just get it done and want both seller and buyer feeling good that each got what they needed.

Last edited by robbyville; 09-01-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,034 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
There's 7 dealers within 60 miles of me , choices I have along with working feet
Think it be of any benefit to go to each of their web sites and request a quote

Give Ya something to compare.., and possibly a place to begin

Ghost

Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I'm curious to see how this goes. My guess is that dealers aren't going to be in the mood to discount anything with the new M8 motor just yet.

But you never know until you ask.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:55 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Got a jones going for a 2017 RK and may be looking at one before the weekends out , yah !! Here's where I need help, I haven't set foot in a dealership in over 15 years and I've never bought a new bike so I need a little guidance on what kind of fee's and possible $$$ add-ons I may be dealing with during the haggling part of all this. Already been quoted MSRP on the color $19.4 with the OTD about 23K and maybe less for a outright sale no financing.

How does this sound to you more experienced buyers? Doing the numbers I'm seeing roughly a $1000 or so in there they are gonna use in fees and the offer counter offer game, curious what I'm in for.
Not sure if this is the kind of answer that you are looking for but here goes. If you have that many dealers in your area and it was me, I'd probably do a little leg work and do some comparison shopping to see which dealership would give you the best deal and also which dealership treated you the best. Good luck

Old 09-02-2016, 12:01 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

You're gonna get hit with MSRP and all the add-ons they can throw at you. Just have them itemize their list so you can peruse it at your leisure. Try to get them to throw in the 1,000 mi. and 5,000 mi. services. Maybe a new jacket and chaps.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:05 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

On my 17 Limited I got msrp,doc and tax...knocked off freight and got 14,750 on my 11 Limited trade which I thought wasn't the greatest but it was in between trade and retail value. Free 1,000 MI service and dealer T shirt. I'm satisfied.

Last edited by Glyder54; 09-02-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

This will be interesting. What model are you looking at? Do you have any friends who buy bikes a lot, that could advise you?

Quick Reply: In need of some advice