General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Guardian Angel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I take my instinct over any plans- if it doesn't feel right, it's cancelled until it does.

The following users liked this post:
harleycharlie1992 (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:24 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
LOL. I was thinkin' of that as I was waiting for my friend to get home and I was waiting at his shop. So, with a bit of time, I unplugged it and plugged the pigtail back into the bike's ECU. No difference. The fuel pump sounds quite a bit different when the ignition is switched on tho. My guess is a split hose inside the tank. But then, I was wrong about the battery too!
Mike I believe everything happens for a reason. I am sorry about your wife but I do believe she is still with you and protecting you from above. If you believe this is happening it probably is and go with your gut instinct.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:19 AM
JPS_Lotus98T
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike-

I'm very much into rational belief and need some sort of evidence to back things up, but I can honestly say there have been days where I get a weird feeling when I'm planning to take a ride on the bike. I have never thought of myself as being superstitious...always thought it was hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo that I have little time for. But when I do get those weird feelings, I actually just go with the gut feeling, and avoid going out on the bike, regardless of how beautiful the weather might be. Not sure if there is anything to it, but I figure, why chance it? Sometimes even just going out in my car on a day I may be planning to ride, I will get the feeling that the energy on the road doesn't feel right and will hold off on taking out the bike when I get home. Maybe it is guardian angels, or maybe it is something else. I haven't felt like testing the hypothesis one way or another.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:27 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,891 Likes on 4,707 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14

I take my instinct over any plans- if it doesn't feel right, it's cancelled until it does.
I love that picture!

Old 10-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Every time I've had seriously bad luck or obstacle it has has saved me from something worse.

One example was we were scammed by a moving company many years ago. They wanted thousands of dollars extra or they were going to drive away with all our stuff. My wife and I went into the living room of our new house to discuss what to do while the movers waited outside. New baby on the way...we were freaked out. Funny thing is the house would have burned down that night if we weren't standing there. Some bad wiring went up. We would NEVER have been near that room otherwise.

The movers got sorted out later to our benefit, but without that major storm cloud we'd have been screwed. Many other examples...but I've come to count my blessings even when they aren't pretty looking.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:54 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,891 Likes on 4,707 Posts

"We live by faith, not by sight."

Old 10-26-2016, 06:47 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
You should have had brakes even tho you lost one side of the master cyc. Todays cars are dual brakes build into the master. Your pedal would go down, but you would still have a brake.
Yea, it wasn't a sudden pedal to the floor, it was the soft spongey feel as it dumped the fluid from the rear brakes. The normally full pedal went about 3/4 of the way to the floor and was still dropping. I didn't wait to find out if they were going to bottom out before I used the E-brake.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:35 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Go with that feeling, saved my @$$ more than once

Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 AM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
I've never been a particularly superstitious guy, but this is something that might make one a believer in guardian angels. First, a little background....

Three and a half years ago, my wife of 37 years passed away after a three year battle with cancer. She never wanted me to have a bike. This stemmed from her and I riding with a group of friends up in the foothill one night on my Kawasaki triple. Coming around a curve and there's one of the group who had crashed on the curve and was spread out like a yard sale. Well, we crashed too trying to avoid the mess, and she smacked her elbow on the pavement which opened up a sizable gash. All this a week before the wedding. After that she refused to ride with me and pressured me to get rid of the bike, which I finally did. So no bike for 37 years. Not a super big deal, because I always had drag race cars.

Fast forward to 2013. After she passed, to keep from going off the deep end from the loss, I bought another bike, then another and another, till now and ending up with my Deluxe and my Triumph Bonneville.

One of my buddies and I were planning a weekend road trip up from Fresno/Clovis through the gold country, then west through wine country and returning via the PCH. Epic! This was/is to take place the first weekend in November.

Now, the Deluxe has been rock solid reliable.....up until we made this plan. First, the rear brake light switch burns out the very next day after a 200 mile ride, leaking fluid and disabling the rear brake. Easy fix.

Then, the battery gives up right after returning from a weekend in Cayucos on the central coast. This one baffled me for a bit, because it really didn't act like a bad battery. Took me a week to resolve it.

After that was fixed, the brakelight switch I had replaced a couple weeks earlier grounds out killing the brakelights. Fixed that easy enough.

Then yesterday at the end of a 100 mile loop up in the central Sierras, the bike had been running great and I was all smiles. I'm ten miles from home and the Deluxe starts sputtering and cutting out. Fortunately, I'm just a few hundred yards from a friend's place who has his business shop building out there. I make it there without having to push the bike. He lets me leave it there as I call my lady friend to get a ride home.

Sooo..... three strikes all in the space of a couple weeks right after road trip plans were made. And each time with an increasing level of difficulty to resolve.

I'm really starting to think that my wife and guardian angel is trying to keep me from taking that road trip.

Do you believe in stuff like this?
Coincidental. We tend to see supernatural things when thy aren't there. It's kind of like horoscopes, you can make them fit your particular case if you look hard enough.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
Coincidental. We tend to see supernatural things when thy aren't there. It's kind of like horoscopes, you can make them fit your particular case if you look hard enough.
One can certainly look it that way. Many things happen to people that cannot be explained. Some chalk it up to mere coincidence, others, the hand of God or guardian angels, and for some "gut feeling or intuition."

As others point out, we are creatures of belief. We all believe in one thing or another. The Vikings believed that your fate was sealed at the moment of your birth. You were gonna die on a certain day regardless of whether you charged fearlessly into battle or cowered in a hole. It was part of what made them such fearsome warriors. I think if we all still believed that there would be SO MANY more you tube videos that begin with "Hold my beer and watch this!"

However, if you've ever lost someone as close to you as my wife was to me, you want to believe they are still with you in spirit. None of us on this side of the curtain between life and death will know for sure until we cross over ourselves.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (11-01-2016)

Quick Reply: My Guardian Angel