Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   New Dealership Owners Are Changing Service Departments (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1147214-new-dealership-owners-are-changing-service-departments.html)

uklauren 11-20-2016 07:34 PM

New Dealership Owners Are Changing Service Departments

My 2 nearest dealerships have both changed hands recently to new but different owners. They don't seem to want to bend over backwards for us customers like the old owners did. Both have stopped courtesy pick ups and drop offs of bikes, both are offering expensive service plans which are a lot of money up front. One has a 3 year plan for $2700 which allows for unlimited scheduled services and discounts here and there, transferable to another bike if you sell, and the other is $1800 for 2 years not transferable. Supposedly they will get your bike in ahead of the general riff raff.
One has put service rates up to $109 an hour, tires for life which was offered by the old owner is not being continued, hours have been cut back too.

I'm feeling a bit pissed at how they are viewing us. Currently one has a 3 week waiting list for service because they are so short of techs. Yes I can use an Indy if I want but I'm just having a moan.

TwiZted Biker 11-20-2016 08:09 PM

Well I suspect their tune will change when they find their new business plan isn't bringing them in in droves.

dixonk 11-20-2016 08:31 PM

So long as people keep going there and paying those prices they will continue doing that. That's business 101.

Torpedo1 11-20-2016 08:42 PM

Sounds like Alligator Alley Harley, right? Chester's service was awesome, and a sizable reason I bought a Harley over an Indian. Never got the feeling they were trying to screw me over.

Do they really have a 3-week wait time for service now? They used to get you in same-day.

uklauren 11-20-2016 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Torpedo1 (Post 15695357)
Sounds like Alligator Alley Harley, right? Chester's service was awesome, and a sizable reason I bought a Harley over an Indian. Never got the feeling they were trying to screw me over.

Do they really have a 3-week wait time for service now? They used to get you in same-day.

Yes one is Alligator Alley, they won't pick up and deliver the bike any more, they open 9-5 but 10-3 on Sundays, prices are up and the new general manager is a snippy dude. I don't know what their wait time is, but PB Harley is about a 3 week wait. Their new VIP package will get you in within 72 hours. It never used to be like this in S Fl. Rossmeyers and Chesters were excellent.

Loc_Tite 11-20-2016 09:04 PM

Wow, that sounds a bit like extortion. Pay extra just to get timely service, and at the same time if you don't you have to wait longer because someone else did? I would run away from those people.

Torpedo1 11-20-2016 09:07 PM

Yeah, went to ask about the free tires and they tried selling me on the new VIP maintenance plan instead.

Pretty bummed about it, I really liked Chester's service department, they were all real nice. Didn't know they overhauled it and reduced their hours that much.

On their Facebook page they have a banner "New Owners, New Attitude". I guess that says it all right there.

rjjj629 11-20-2016 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite (Post 15695402)
Wow, that sounds a bit like extortion. Pay extra just to get timely service, and at the same time if you don't you have to wait longer because someone else did? I would run away from those people.

Me too, especially if I was one of the ones getting pushed back for the premium customers.

Plus, how do they explain that? It's almost like the have to lie to some folks... or do they honestly say "Sorry, I know I said we'd get to your bike today but I had to push it back to next tuesday because I have a rush of maintenance plan customers that suddenly need oil changes."?

1BRAVO9 11-20-2016 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by dixonk (Post 15695329)
So long as people keep going there and paying those prices they will continue doing that. That's business 101.

That is the $60,000 answer.

Why anyone patronizes these places is bewildering.

uklauren 11-20-2016 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by rjjj629 (Post 15695413)
Me too, especially if I was one of the ones getting pushed back for the premium customers.

Plus, how do they explain that? It's almost like the have to lie to some folks... or do they honestly say "Sorry, I know I said we'd get to your bike today but I had to push it back to next tuesday because I have a rush of maintenance plan customers that suddenly need oil changes."?

Yep that is one major issue.

It sucks that both dealerships are doing this kind of thing. The next nearest dealership is 70 miles away. Maybe it's worth going to talk to them. Apparently neither will even pick up for warranty work.